"I am utterly addicted. Recommending Shoot to everyone. "

– CD , Loanhead

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Advice on preparing a flower bed in awkward position

Question from Jim Haywood

In forum: Garden design

I want to prepare a flower bed where a row of well established leylandii trees once were - these were the border between my property and next door and followed a downward slope along a short set of steps in my back garden. The trees have been chopped down to ground level and a tall lap fence erected in their place (SW facing). This has given me about 30-40 cm between the fence line and a line of wooden sleepers (which form a metre high retaining wall). There is also a shallow trench between these sleepers and the steps which I also want to prepare as a bed and plant up. I plan to plant some climbing plants (clematis, poss. honeysuckle, etc) plus some border shrubs into the space between the fence and sleepers, and maybe some rock plants, alpines, ferns, crocosmia, hardy bush fuscia maybe etc in the in-filled trench. Can you advise on how I need to prepare the bed between fence and sleepers, and how to prepare a plantable bed in the trough between sleepers and path. Difficult to describe - the key issue is how to provide enough nutrients for what I want to grow in amongst what is largely the roots system of the felled leylandii (which I cant dig or grind out). Will just putting in enriched topsoil over some drainage material be sufficient? Thanks!

• Views: 120
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 14:17
  • Last reply: Thu. 24th July 2014 10:05

Misidentified

Question from Silentboo

In forum: Identify a plant

I dug this out from behind a bush where it wasn't doing so well a couple of years ago. Its deciduous and I potted it on at the start of this year still not knowing what it was. When I spotted a Sparrmania Africana in Hampden Court I thought I'd finally ID'd it. Sure, its not meant to be hardy, I thought ours had just gotten used to the neglect.
This summer when some buds popped up I was fairly sure I'd be proved right...and I'm definitely not. I did try the plant identifier but I'm not entirely sure what shape the pale, yellow flowers fall under. The large leaves are rough and hairy.

• Views: 149
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 13:31
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 14:57

What is this flower?

Comment from sulagna

Can someone please help me find the name of this plant/flower

• Views: 82
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 10:24
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 16:53

Help identify this plant

Question from sulagna

This shrub has been flowering since mid spring. Can someone help me identify the name. Thanks.

• Views: 136
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 10:23
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 16:57

What is the latin name for this plant?

Question from Inge Berrie

This shrub is growing in a garden near the Thames in south London in sandy soil. It looks like a shrub that has grown into a tree. The leaves have a rough texture and there are yellow flowers on it. The photo was taken this week in July. I am unsure if it is deciduous or not but I guess it is. Any ideas?

• Views: 181
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 10:23
  • Last reply: Thu. 24th July 2014 17:14

Can anyone identify this plant please

Question from Christopher Blundell

It has grown to over six foot tall, and I have no idea where it came from, I don't think it's a weed but I'm not sure. My back garden is all flagged with just a 1 foot border on three sides. As the plant is hiding a bare wall I'd like to keep it, but it may stop any other plants from growing in the vicinity. Hope someone can help me.

• Views: 125
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 10:17
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 10:59

Can anyone identify these?

Comment from Sharon Holland

I live in the South East of England. The plants seem to be doing well but there are no flowers or buds? Can anyone tell me what they are and should there be any flowers/fruit on them? Thanks

• Views: 27
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 08:17
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 08:37

Red Robin

Question from Kate

In forum: Trees and shrubs

I am thinking of planting a red robin after my neighbour cut there mature trees down leaving us with no privacy. It is west facing garden, but would be in full sun, slightly sheltered by other gardens & 1.8m wall. The space for planting would be close to wall and a patio area - will roots disturb wall/patio? How far away should It be planted from wall/patio? I need about 4-6m height to give privacy needed. Any advice gratefully received.

• Views: 127
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2014 18:48
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 09:14

Shrub ID help

Question from Lacym22

does anybody know what this lovely little shrub is called? it has been growing happily in my fern's pot in partial shade.

• Views: 32
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2014 16:59
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd July 2014 17:21

Yellowing leaves on standard myrtle

Question from Lucinda

In forum: Trees and shrubs

Hi, I have two standard myrtles by my front door and their leaves are starting to yellow quite badly. Does this mean they are stressed in some way? Any help appreciated. Thanks

• Views: 29
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2014 16:44
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd July 2014 21:31