"I think the website is fantastic!"

– Angie Barker , Dip GD (Inst GD) BA (Hons)

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Banana skins

Tip from Judy Hayman

In forum: News

Chopped banana skins (1"-2") are great for plants. Don't take my word for it, look online and be surprised: They rot quickly. Dig in near bottom of pots or well below roots; the skins have a natural insecticide.
If you've plants with shiny leaves, wipe them using the pithy part. This promotes the shine and imparts their natural insecticide which will deter aphids. :-D

Two drawbacks.= :-(
Not advisable for composting When the skins are warm they give off a pheromone which bees exude when in distress. If you come between a bee & the skins, the bee will become aggressive.

DON'T use for fruit or veg. The outside of the banana skins contains a carcinogenic chemical.

Hope you find this helpful.
Jude

• Views: 173
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 3rd April 2014 09:40

Never flowered?

Question from chrissie46

In forum: Acacia dealbata

My tree is in a very large container and is about three years old but has never flowered? When will it be llikely to do so?

• Views: 91
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd April 2014 21:40

How do I control this

Comment from Wendy

In forum: Identify a plant

I think it may be Hazelwort or European wild ginger but I really don't know, all I know is that it is beginning to over run everything in its path, it is right by my pond! How do I get rid of it? it is in wet clay soil so a nighmare to dig out and has gone down feet, has long white runners looks almost like a giant lily of the valley root (underground)
Now have doubts the leaf is not shiney I have loaded a picture

• Views: 86
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd April 2014 21:03
  • Last reply: Thu. 3rd April 2014 09:46

Garden Designer & Landscaper FAQ

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Careers in Horticulture, Garden Design and Landscaping

Hi all, we are putting together a page for garden designers and landscapers who use our Pro service (to read more click here).

Are we missing any common questions?

How do I create a client garden account?
1) Create a new garden
2) Give it a name such as 'Mrs Smith's garden'
3) Find and add the plants in Mrs Smith garden to her plant list.
4) You can then customise Mrs Smith's garden by adding notes, photos, and sorting plants into groups

How can I add plants?
There are three ways you can add plants to a client garden
1) Plant by plant. Find each plant using our search or A-Z lists and click 'ADD' button
2) Upload a long list all in one go using a .csv file. Look for 'Import Plant list' and follow the instructions. You can also import groups and notes at the same time
3) If you use Vectorworks Landmark 2013 you can use the Shoot Plant IDs directly when designing a client garden. Then just export the client plant list and import into Shoot.

How do I send a client garden to a client?
1. Find the garden
2. Click the SEND link
3. Add in client's name and email address
4. Tick box to save a copy for you
5. Then you need to email the client asking them to join Shoot using the same email you used to register them. We do not send an email for you but give you suggested text to use once you have completed the transfer.
6. When they register using the same email address their garden from you will be there.

Can I edit a client plant list after it is sent?
Currently not unless your client gives you their login details to Shoot. In the future we are looking at different PRO subscription which would give shared access along with each of your clients

• Views: 175
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd April 2014 14:43
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd April 2014 14:45

Climbers for wooden arch

Question from Jenny Sagi

In forum: General

Having just installed our third arch can anyone suggest a climber that dies down in winter as roses and jasmine have added to the resistance when the winds are strong and resulted in both previous arches breaking and falling down. Thanks

• Views: 249
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd April 2014 14:42
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd April 2014 15:51

I've just bought a salix flamingo tree, and was wondering, could i plant it in a planter that is 2metres in length x 40cm width x 40cm depth. or is this too small depth wise also what plants do you suggest putting in with it, if ok as i got some echinacia

Comment from rebecca greeley

In forum: Salix integra 'Flamingo'

I've just bought a salix flamingo tree, and was wondering, could i plant it in a planter that is 2metres in length x 40cm width x 40cm depth. or is this too small depth wise also what plants do you suggest putting in with it, if ok as i got some echinacia bulbs and a azalea???

• Views: 103
  • Posted: Tue. 1st April 2014 17:23
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd April 2014 00:12

We planted a Sundaville in our garden last year, but come Autumn/Winter the leaves went brown and it looks dead. Any suggestions

Comment from Anne Sims

In forum: Mandevilla 'Sundaville Red'

We planted a Sundaville in our garden last year, but come Autumn/Winter the leaves went brown and it looks dead. Any suggestions

• Views: 32
  • Posted: Tue. 1st April 2014 17:00
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd April 2014 00:14

Should I undertake any pruning on this plant which has not been touched since the plant was purchased approximately 2 year ago, it is still quite small in height

Comment from Miss J Taylor

In forum: Hydrangea paniculata Vanille Fraise

Should I undertake any pruning on this plant which has not been touched since the plant was purchased approximately 2 year ago, it is still quite small in height

• Views: 38
  • Posted: Tue. 1st April 2014 10:04
  • Last reply: Tue. 1st April 2014 14:17

Something kept eating the leaves of my plant throughout the summer despite sparying the plant on a regular basis, could there still be something in the soil?

In forum: Hydrangea 'Zambia'

Something kept eating the leaves of my plant throughout the summer despite sparying the plant on a regular basis, could there still be something in the soil?

• Views: 23
  • Posted: Tue. 1st April 2014 10:01
  • Last reply: Tue. 1st April 2014 14:18

The plant seems to be getting a bit bare leaf wise towards the middle of the plant

In forum: Rhododendron 'Nancy Evans'

The plant seems to be getting a bit bare leaf wise towards the middle of the plant

• Views: 29
  • Posted: Tue. 1st April 2014 09:58
  • Last reply: Tue. 1st April 2014 14:21