"Fantastic job. Rarely have I come across such a useful, and user friendly, site."

– Spike Jackson , Garden Designer MSGD

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 145

Hebe, Heartbreaker

Question from Des Griffiths

How to prune

• Views: 8
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 14th April 2014 11:44

Flowering currant

Question from Alexandra in Fife

I have a flowering currant which is quite old. It is shaped like a small tree, about 2m tall. Every year I have to cut off several branches, because they have died. It is now looking quite miserable and out of shape. However, right at the base there are loads of shoots, also some here and there on various places up the trunk. Could I give it some drastic, serious pruning to rejuvenate and hopefully save it? Possibly cut it down to the base or half way down? I would really appreciate some advice!

• Views: 116
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 11th April 2014 20:02
  • Last reply: Sat. 12th April 2014 19:23

small fast growing tree for privacy

Question from zhiqing li

My next door neighbour built a loft conversion glaring down on my garden. I want to buy a tree about 5 to 6m high to preserve my privacy.
The site is semi shade and clay soil.

I also want to buy several shrubs which are upright, arching habit from 2 to 4m height. My house is the end of the terrace and my garden is the typical wind tunnel. I would like the shrubs to have thick twigs to block the wind, but late coming to leaf because the shrubs will be planted in the south as it is important the shrubs will not cast too much shade.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

many thanks

zhiqing li

• Views: 157
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 29th March 2014 21:16
  • Last reply: Mon. 31st March 2014 13:24

training sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus)

Question from Barbara Sellery

Is there any reason why I cannot train my cordon grown sweet peas diagonally across netting against a fence? I am trying to avoid the necessity for layering later as the area is rather restricted for space. Growing diagonally would provide more length but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere by experts.

• Views: 290
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 21st January 2014 10:15
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd April 2014 13:13

Golden Cyrprus

Question from Waveney Jenkins

My parents planted a pair of what I think are Cupressus macrocarpa goldcrest - (I may be wrong) They are very happy, in spite of growing in the teeth of salt laden gales in the Isle of Man. They are now about 30ft high monsters - are are growing outwards at about a yard a year. I have been lifting their lower branches - (up to around 10 ft) But I worry this may now encourage further growth. I have been advised to root prune them to curtail their growth, This would only be possible in a semicircle to the south of them (a road lies to the north) - would you advise this? They did look better growing to the ground, but were crushing the summer house.....They covered all the bare areas before. I am hoping to plant some azaleas and rhodis to fill the area.

• Views: 16408
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 29th October 2013 10:20
  • Last reply: Thu. 31st October 2013 21:40

Small fast growing tree? Possibly an Acer or Cherry?

Comment from Liz Duffell

Can anyone think of a small reasonably fast growing tree to fill the space in the picture where the rose is (middle window)? I'm hoping to have something more attractive to look at when I gaze out the window. I have looked at Japanese Maples and cherries, both of which I love, does anyone have either of these that they think would work? Its full sun and sheltered, I'd preferably like to have the neighbours mostly blocked out in around 5 years.

• Views: 243
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 18th September 2013 08:58
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd October 2013 22:05

escallonia (gold ellen)

General post from Darren C

Hi could any one tell me the maximum height of a escallonia gold ellen please.
when I bought the plant on the label it mentioned 90 to 120 cm but when I look on shoot and other websites it mentions 200, 250 & 300cm, s on about 2 website it mentioned about 120cm but everywhere else its well above the 200cm mark. Also I live in the uk & know this could restrict the growth compared to other warmer climates. Also I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening. Thanks in advance

• Views: 63
  • Posted: Mon. 16th September 2013 07:48

A Blackcurrant Bonanza

Comment from Jenny Sagi

Despite neglecting our huge blackcurrant bush, every year it produces masses of fruit. The first year I covered it with a net curtain, to keep the birds off. They have never showed any interest. This year it was too hot early on to pick them, now there are pounds of fruit............I'd quite like a little help from the birds!

• Views: 120
  • Posted: Tue. 6th August 2013 14:26
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd September 2013 15:29

Rampaging Staghorn Sumac!

Question from Diane Lambert

I have a problem with Staghorn Sumac trying to spread everywhere. It shoots up all over the lawn, between the paving on the patio and anywhere it can.
I just pull them up but the problem seems to be getting worse. The little blighters seem to be indestructible! Last year I cut down 2 of the trees to stumps and they are flourishing again. They are beautiful looking trees, especially in the autumn when they turn a gorgeous red colour but I really don't want them to take over the entire garden! Can anyone help?

• Views: 75
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd August 2013 23:44
  • Last reply: Sat. 3rd August 2013 00:02

Cheals Weeping Cherry

Question from Kylie

Hi, any advise appreciated on how best to plant this tree, its going in our front garden which gets alot of sun but we have clay soil should I add good top soil when back filling. Thank you.

• Views: 64
  • Posted: Thu. 1st August 2013 15:44