"I've just upgraded my account! Happy happy. Boy do I love Shoot."

– K J Lermontov , Facebook fan

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 155

Red Robin

Question from Kate

I am thinking of planting a red robin after my neighbour cut there mature trees down leaving us with no privacy. It is west facing garden, but would be in full sun, slightly sheltered by other gardens & 1.8m wall. The space for planting would be close to wall and a patio area - will roots disturb wall/patio? How far away should It be planted from wall/patio? I need about 4-6m height to give privacy needed. Any advice gratefully received.

• Views: 107
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2014 18:48
  • Last reply: Wed. 23rd July 2014 09:14

Yellowing leaves on standard myrtle

Question from Lucinda

Hi, I have two standard myrtles by my front door and their leaves are starting to yellow quite badly. Does this mean they are stressed in some way? Any help appreciated. Thanks

• Views: 25
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2014 16:44
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd July 2014 21:31

Upward habit tree needed to shade acer, needs to be neat

Question from Madeleine Menzies

Hi I have an acer bloodgood on a West facing fence really suffering from the sun. I have a small garden and wonder if there is a tree with an upward habit and a crown that would give shade. It would need to be a tree that doesn't spread, just tallish with canopy. Would there be a tree like this? Or do I have to move the acer?

• Views: 20
  • Posted: Sat. 19th July 2014 17:08
  • Last reply: Sat. 19th July 2014 19:06

Care

Question from sue

Hi I have search for this plant/tree/shrub on the site and can't find any care instructions, can anybody help please;-

Grevillea juniperina Robin Gordon Standard

Thanks in advance ;)

• Views: 29
  • Posted: Thu. 17th July 2014 09:52
  • Last reply: Thu. 17th July 2014 12:47

Rampant wisteria

Question from Rachael Bermingham

Hi. We have a wisteria alba which is about 18 years old and which is planted on the side patio to our house over a loggia between the house and garage. I'm ashamed to say that we haven't managed the wisteria at all since we planted it and now it's a monster. I've had to take emergency remedial action to stop it invading the garage roof and the house gutters but I need a more effective approach to pruning than just hacking back outliers. There's an awful lot of dead wood. In fact all the green growth happens above the dead wood canopy so you can hardly see the blossoms from below. Can anyone suggest how I can tame this beast without killing it off?

• Views: 149
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 27th June 2014 23:25
  • Last reply: Thu. 3rd July 2014 16:49

Caring for lemon tree

Question from Eddie Brady

I recently bought a lemon tree which seems to be doing quite well. However the fruit is still quite small and I wonder if you could give me advice on:
Caring for the tree
Repotting from its original pot
Feeding the tree.

Thank you for your time

Eddie

• Views: 46
  • Posted: Tue. 10th June 2014 14:30
  • Last reply: Wed. 11th June 2014 09:02

Wisteria Conundrum.

Comment from Neil Hall

Hi. Can anyone confirm what type of Wisteria we have adopted when we purchased our house 2 years ago please? There are a few scattered around the area but all have tighter, shorter blooms than ours. Any help would be appreciated.

• Views: 133
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 21st May 2014 04:17
  • Last reply: Fri. 23rd May 2014 01:49

Japanese acer dying?

Question from Karen Hibbert

I have a Japanese Acer - not sure of which type it is but it has dark purple leaves - which has done well for 5 years. This year, only a couple of its branches have developed leaves I think the other branches are dead as they look brown when the bark is scraped off. If I remove the dead branches, will it grow replacements? Is this the correct thing to do or should I resign myself to the fact that I am going to lose it? Thanks

• Views: 183
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 12th May 2014 06:40
  • Last reply: Wed. 14th May 2014 06:36

failing sloes

Question from denise henery

a few years ago i planted 3 sloe bushes.1 died in the first year and the others never produced any berries.this ear they some berries have set but the leaves are sparse,very small and deformed however shoots almost from the base have large healthy leaves.should i cut my losses and replace them with a different species of shrub,maybe a golden currant?

• Views: 110
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 8th May 2014 15:54

Magnolia Black Tulip Jurmag 1

Comment from Louise Harrison

Hi all,

I have fallen in love with the black tulip Magnolia, but as someone who is very new to gardening, I know next to nothing about these trees. I have heard that I need to be careful with regards to roots with Magnolia trees.

Could anyone tell me how far away from the house these tree would need to be planted? If it is suitable for a garden at all?

Kind Regards
Louise x

• Views: 63
  • Posted: Mon. 28th April 2014 22:24
  • Last reply: Tue. 29th April 2014 02:25