"Shoot is amazing. Can't wait to finish office work and get back online."

– Les Challen , Croydon (Lifetime Member)

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 181

help with a hebe

Question from AMANDA BUTT

I garden for a friend, and she has a beautiful 'Wiri Mist' Hebe. It is over 4' across and approx. 1 1/2' tall, however, today I have noticed it seems to be dying from the base up . Any ideasThank You.

• Views: 31
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 29th July 2015 19:42
  • Last reply: Sat. 1st August 2015 22:26

Pruning young privet

Question from Deirdre

We planted oval leaf privet earlier this year and I want to make sure it turns into a nice, dense, bushy hedge which won't get too leggy.

Should I prune it now it's about two feet tall?

What would be the best method to prune it?thanks

• Views: 27
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 14th July 2015 13:05

Is holly safe to grow next to a house?

Question from Silentboo

We have a big hollybush growing just 5cm from our house, how worried do I need to be about it damaging foundations?

Internet research suggests that this is not ideal, but there's a house nearby which has a well groomed hollybush as high as it is right up against it's wall also.

Any advice would be helpful, do we just need to keep it below a certain height, or would it be best to remove it? There's a well established climbing rose growing about 15cm from it and I'd hate to damage that with any tinkering.

• Views: 23
  • Posted: Sun. 12th July 2015 16:27

When to prune shrubs and trees?

Question from N Bains

Could you advise when to cut back or prune large shrubs and a cherry tree.
Wish to gain space taken up by overgrown shrubs but do not wish to encourage strong growth. Can I cut back in July or do Inwait until Autunm or Winter? Many thanks

• Views: 31
  • Posted: Mon. 29th June 2015 11:34

Tree peony sucker

Question from Helen Tyas

Hi,
I am unsure if I have a sucker or not. The leaves appear to be identical but the shoots are green rather than woody.
Can anyone confirm?
Thanks

• Views: 48
  • Posted: Sun. 7th June 2015 18:01
  • Last reply: Wed. 10th June 2015 18:50

Any idea what's happened to my poor tree fern?

Comment from Michael Flynn

I've had this tree fern for about 4 years and last year I noticed that the fronds seemed stunted. I thought it might be different a season on but sadly it looks as though the same is happening again! I have two of these and wrap them both up over winter in a fleece. The other one is fine but I wondered if there is anything I can do to help it?

• Views: 56
  • Posted: Thu. 28th May 2015 20:25

Philadelphius won't flower

Question from Jeannie

I have a Philadelphius starbright I planted about 4-5 years ago. It has never flowered since I planted it. My garden faces southwest, the shrub is sheltered until midday and then is in full sun for the rest of the day. I have another variety that is in the same area, but gets sun earlier in the day. It flowers profusely. Does starbright flower on new or old wood?

• Views: 28
  • Posted: Sun. 24th May 2015 12:13

I've got a Rhus !

Comment from Ange

Hello all,
I moved here in January, and delighted to see a Rhus, about 9' tall growing in the back garden. Now, this tree is getting it's leaves now, and it's a lovely shape. The one thing that will make me tear it out is..... the damn roots!! They are growing almost on the surface, underneath, and for s few feet outwards, so that I couldn't plant anything there should I want to. Currently got stones there, but there's dozens of baby Rhus growing!!! Is there anything I can do about this please, can I sever these roots without the tree falling or dying? It's such a shame...

Thanks

Ange

• Views: 48
  • Posted: Sat. 16th May 2015 18:26
  • Last reply: Mon. 18th May 2015 18:26

Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'

Question from Frank Barker

Over a period of years my Acer became overshadowed by a large Cedar Deodora with the result that branches on the side adjacent to the Cedar died off every year: presumably due to lack of air, light, water and by physical damage from the movement of the much larger branches of the cedar. There is some growth of new shoots along the side of existing branches but will my 'Brilliantissimum' ever re-generate from the trunk/head to produce new branches on the 'bare' side?

• Views: 67
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 10th May 2015 20:22
  • Last reply: Mon. 25th May 2015 21:00

Uprooted

Question from Michelle Neve

About 1 month ago we had a new fence put up but to do this my very much loved Choisya White Dazzler had to be dug up. Unfortunately a large amount of it root was left behind. It was replanted 1.5 meters further down the garden and thoroughly watered. I am rather upset as it looks like it is dying. Is there any way it may pull through? ( it was replanted with approx 1 3rd of its roots intact )

• Views: 80
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 22nd April 2015 18:28
  • Last reply: Thu. 23rd April 2015 09:58