"Shoot's extensive plant A-Z is second to none. Highly recommended!"

– Ben Lannoy , Garden Designer

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 171

Avocado Tree

Question from pam

I cut an old non producing avocado tree down last year.Now there are 2 foot sprouts coming up from the base. Will this turn into a productive tree or should I cut these off?

• Views: 41
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 1st March 2015 04:50
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd March 2015 18:07

Pruning a mulberry tree

Question from sam stratford

I have a large mulberry tree in the south of france. I think I am too late to prune it, what do I do now as it has the established old wood but also the new wood of last year. Can I prune it still now or wait until march or April ? We still have the occasional ground frost.

• Views: 42
  • Posted: Fri. 20th February 2015 12:10
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd February 2015 19:37

Sarcococcus

Question from Janet Windle

I have three sarcoccuses around the garden, and they all look as if something has nibbled off their flowers, which ought to be scenting beautifully just now. - just little bare stumps at the end of the leaves. Any ideas as to what the problem can be please?

• Views: 116
  • Posted: Mon. 26th January 2015 11:03
  • Last reply: Mon. 26th January 2015 11:40

Viburnum Bodnantense Dawn

Question from Jackie Clark

I have had a Viburnum as above for 3 years and it has never flowered. It was in a border for 2 years and last year I moved it to a pot where it flourished but still no flowers! Any ideas please,

• Views: 159
  • Posted: Wed. 14th January 2015 12:29
  • Last reply: Tue. 10th February 2015 20:47

When to plant

Question from Michael Hayes

When is the best time to plant fruit trees please? I'd like to start developing a small orchard in any time from now on.

• Views: 53
  • Posted: Thu. 1st January 2015 14:12
  • Last reply: Thu. 1st January 2015 15:46

Can you help identify this tree

Comment from Michael Flynn

Hi, I'm on a bit of a mission to try and identify some of the trees and shrubs in my garden. I have attached a photo of a tree that is about 3 metres From the house. I'd like to find out what it is so I can find out how best to keep it under control and whether its roots might be dangerous to the foundations. Thanks

• Views: 155
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 20th October 2014 21:55
  • Last reply: Tue. 21st October 2014 21:19

Can anyone identify this tree please?

Question from Ann Di Marco

I live in Sw France and am trying to identify, and eventually buy, this tree as it has all-round interest.

It is flowering now and the photos were taken last night but the light is not very good. The leaves are like lilac. Flowers dark pink. Situated in full sun. I had to use the full zoom on the flowers which seem to be dark pink with a dark purple centre. This tree/shrub is about 3m high.

• Views: 140
  • Posted: Sun. 19th October 2014 13:36
  • Last reply: Sun. 19th October 2014 20:03

pruning

Question from barbara vincent

When is the best time to prune spiraea?

• Views: 73
  • Posted: Tue. 30th September 2014 10:40
  • Last reply: Tue. 30th September 2014 15:48

Advice on treating this lilac

Question from Chris Wooff

We have a very old Lilac in our garden. There was a lot of dead wood on it which I cut away earlier this year to see what would happen. I was pleasantly surprised that the trunk has now started to make new growth (see attached picture). What would you advice wrt pruning this new growth? i.e. what should we prune and when?

• Views: 69
  • Posted: Tue. 23rd September 2014 13:11
  • Last reply: Tue. 23rd September 2014 15:34

Pruning hypericum androsaemum.

Question from kevin bellchambers

Hi
Can anybody tell me the best way to prune this type of hypericum for next seasons growth, it's now gone over and has been amazing with its lovely berries.
Many thanks kevin.

• Views: 92
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd September 2014 13:18