"I love Shoot. It does everything it says on the can."

– Rod Adams , YouTube fan

Green gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 14

Pest Control!

Comment from Angela Neal

Hi folks,

I have a major problem with something eating both bulbs and young plants.

I know my garden is FULL of snails, but the small plants (pansies, violas, cyclamen, hellebores, allysum and more) are literally eaten away down to a stumpy stem. Needless to say, the plants then die.

Small bulbs that I plant appear on the surface half eaten.

We have lots of neighbourhood cats (another gardener's problem) so I wouldn't have thought that mice would be a problem?

Could slugs/snails destroy a plant completely?
Would mice eat plants?
Do mice dig up bulbs?

I have looked into green deterents, and am thinking about spraying a chilli/onion solution across my beds, which should sort out the cats too. Has anyone had any luck with using chilli spray for pest control?

Thanks!

• Views: 1325
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 7th April 2012 11:22
  • Last reply: Fri. 24th May 2013 11:06

Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust water butt survey

Comment from Wildfowl And Wetlands Trust

Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is conducting a water butt survey as part of our “work your butt” campaign and Festival of gardening 1-31st March.

How well do you work your butt? Your water butt that is… A survey 3 years ago found that nearly two thirds of gardeners said they had a water butt but only one in 10 make good use of them.

WWT is calling on gardeners to help us get a clearer picture of the situation today, particularly in these increasingly environmentally and economically aware times.

So please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/wwtsurvey to take survey and answer a few short questions. It’ll take you less than 5 minutes and as a thank you for your help you’ll go into a draw to win a year’s WWT membership.

• Views: 516
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 24th February 2011 12:40

Bio Control for Japanese Knotweed

Comment from Laura Thomas

Just read that DEFRA are considering bringing in an Asian predator to deal with the problem of Japanese Knotweed. It's called Aphalara itadori - read all about it

I'm always uneasy with these biological controls that are imported. Harlequins came to dominate our ecosystems from being introduced into countries other than Asia for aphid control. Any thoughts?

• Views: 1045
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 23rd July 2009 16:27
  • Last reply: Thu. 23rd July 2009 20:52

Reclaim & Recycle..

General post from Laura Thomas

The Streets of London are paved with gold if you are looking for items to reclaim for use in the garden.

This is one of my favourite 'finds' - a vintage handcart which the local italian restaurant had thrown out during a basement clearance. Makes a great display for container plants.

Laura

• Views: 609
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 28th April 2009 18:25
  • Last reply: Wed. 29th April 2009 12:16

Peat

Comment from Lynn Franklin

Having just watched the programme on the use of peat in the garden has really got me to thinking about what I use. It's going to be a challenge but I think after seeing Toby's remarks I'm going to have a go. Anyone else been moved to make changes?

• Views: 788
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Sat. 28th March 2009 18:47
  • Last reply: Thu. 16th April 2009 07:23

Compost

General post from Wendy

When we moved into our home 3 years ago, we built a 3 bay compost bin and have slowly built up each bay with garden and kitchen refuse and shredded paper. Have just spent the last few days digging out the 1st bay which is full of fantastic three year old compost. This is being spread over all the borders and veg beds.

• Views: 1028
  • Replies: 24
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 11:07
  • Last reply: Fri. 28th May 2010 16:08

Eco house

Comment from ravi verma

hi,
i respect your comment..........

• Views: 749
  • Posted: Fri. 20th February 2009 11:48

companion planting

Question from Renee McAlister

I am a horticulture student (first year) and I am doing a study/research project on companion planting. Part of the report will include qualitative information from people who have tried companion planting. Please help me and tell me your experiences of companion planting. Also, hello everyone, this is my first message on this site. Happy gardening!

• Views: 1096
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 10th December 2008 23:02
  • Last reply: Wed. 31st December 2008 18:27

Heating up the compost

Tip from Laura Thomas

Hi
I have just had the satisfying task of emptying my compost bin and depositing my lovely home made compost on the garden.

I only have the big black plastic compost bin and it took me a while to get going. At first I had too much greens (kitchin waste) so it was rather too wet and slimy until I balanced it with more of the 'browns' (shredded paper, eggboxes etc). Use a long metal pole to aerate it every now and then but I still think despite the lid, the bin needs a warm cover - e.g. old carpet.
My Tip: I had a bundle of wood shavings which I netted and keep as my compost 'topper' - just pull out the net each time I want to add anything. I noticed this soon accelerated the rate of decomposition

• Views: 770
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd December 2008 22:59

Don't purchase these plants!

Tip from Laura Thomas

Just thought I would draw attention to any of you who do not know, about the increasing 'pest' problem of invasive non-native plants - in many cases still being sold by garden centres and aquatic centres e.g. japanese knotweed, cotoneaster and many others

full list here http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/plantlife-campaigning-change-invasive-plants.html

• Views: 1060
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 10th July 2008 23:42
  • Last reply: Fri. 11th July 2008 17:51