"Shoot has BEST Plant Database and Community on the Web."

– John Connel , Camberley

Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku'

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Forum for Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku'

Go to the Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' details page

Total number of topics in this forum: 2

Acer problem

Question from Karren Towgood

I planted an acer sango kaku at the begining of April. Initially it did well, but in the last month has started developing problems. I first noticed that the leaves on some of the branches were turning brown and dying. When I inspected the tree there were black marks on the bark like it had been scorched. These are flat marks, and don't appear to be a fungus. After a few days these marks turn lighter brown, as can be seen in the pictures. All the brances that arise out of this dark area appear to die. I did wonder about water logging, but that doesn't appear to be a problem. We also had a problem with some tiny red spider insects which I have sprayed with provado. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and any solutions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose the tree!

• Views: 933
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 7th June 2010 13:06
  • Last reply: Wed. 16th May 2012 15:41

Great colour year round

Comment from Mari Karkkainen

This variety has great range of colours through year. I starts with pinkish green in the spring and turns green for the summer and in the autumn it glows in canary yellow with orange highlights. 'Sango-kaku' does not loose its attrectivenes during the winter either when it offers extra interest with its coral red young shoots. It tolerates many soil types, but does its best in well drained soil. When planting this variety choose the shelterd and frost free area of the garden, because eventhough it is hardy, late frost can take its toll on the plant's delicate leaves.

• Views: 442
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 14:19