"Finding Shoot has completely made my week."

– Louise McNeill , Lisburn, near Belfast

Garden design

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 107

Advice on preparing a flower bed in awkward position

Question from Jim Haywood

I want to prepare a flower bed where a row of well established leylandii trees once were - these were the border between my property and next door and followed a downward slope along a short set of steps in my back garden. The trees have been chopped down to ground level and a tall lap fence erected in their place (SW facing). This has given me about 30-40 cm between the fence line and a line of wooden sleepers (which form a metre high retaining wall). There is also a shallow trench between these sleepers and the steps which I also want to prepare as a bed and plant up. I plan to plant some climbing plants (clematis, poss. honeysuckle, etc) plus some border shrubs into the space between the fence and sleepers, and maybe some rock plants, alpines, ferns, crocosmia, hardy bush fuscia maybe etc in the in-filled trench. Can you advise on how I need to prepare the bed between fence and sleepers, and how to prepare a plantable bed in the trough between sleepers and path. Difficult to describe - the key issue is how to provide enough nutrients for what I want to grow in amongst what is largely the roots system of the felled leylandii (which I cant dig or grind out). Will just putting in enriched topsoil over some drainage material be sufficient? Thanks!

• Views: 155
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd July 2014 14:17
  • Last reply: Thu. 24th July 2014 10:05

Help with Garden Design Tool

Question from Brian McHale

After giving up on the design tool on several previous occasions I have tried again (without success) to even get a curved lawn onto my garden design. The help manual does not appear to be very user friendly - I am following the instructions but still without success. Is there anyone out there that can advise or help me please? I am looking to totally re-design my small garden which has 90 odd herbaceous in it. It seems a shame being a member if I have to buy or try another sites design tool. Perhaps as others have mentioned some online tutorials might be useful?

• Views: 131
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 13th July 2014 15:20
  • Last reply: Sun. 13th July 2014 16:53

changing shrub size in "design"

Question from Andrew Dale

When designing our garden in the software I can change the icon colour but not the size of shrubs etc. How do you do this?

• Views: 58
  • Posted: Thu. 3rd July 2014 16:32
  • Last reply: Thu. 3rd July 2014 17:41

Desigining a low maintenance community memorial garden with TROPICAL FLAVOUR

Question from Stuart Gallacher

Hello All

Well, I have been charged with designing a small community garden, 42 feet wide, on a tropical theme.

I am open to suggestions on plants, we have a very generous memorial budget from my late father, who designed 2 other gardens in the local area.

So far I have opted for:

4 Topiary balls
6 Trachycarpus Fortunei (2 large 10 feet, 4 smaller 8 feet)
4 Phormiums (mix of Yellow Wave and Jesters)
2 Cordylines (Southern and Pink Passion)

I am looking for some other suggestions for tropical plants that can withstand the Midlands frosts (this year we only got to -2 so not so low) and also be fairly low maintenance and colourful.

It will all be finished with a golden aggregate stone mix, with solar lighting and some large white pebbles at each end.

Any suggestions on unusual plants would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Stuart.

• Views: 47
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Fri. 27th June 2014 12:41

What would you do in this area?

Question from Ian Betteridge

Hello,

I need some help for a challenging area in my garden, next to my shed and under a very large, and old fern tree (that's been there since the 50's!).

I'm in the process of clearing the area, however the ground itself is extremely dry (due to the large tree). It also is in shad for the majority of the day - except for a brief time in the morning.

One of the smaller trees has also died this year so I plan to remove that.

Any ideas for what to do in this area would be great!

Cheers,
Ian

• Views: 59
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd June 2014 21:02
  • Last reply: Sun. 22nd June 2014 21:39

Plants flowering throughout the year

Question from James Carr

My family and I are opening a camping and caravan site in Tissington Derbyshire later this year. We need some plants to put around the roadside and gateway that will flower throughout the year so it is nice and colourful. Can anyone recommend any plants we should look out for that will flower year after year some for spring some for summer and some for autumn. Thank James

• Views: 129
  • Posted: Sat. 7th June 2014 21:37
  • Last reply: Mon. 9th June 2014 13:48

how do i create more than one plan

Question from HELEN DUNN

how do i create more than one plan for garden
i spent ages creating a plan for my back garden-got it as i wanted, tried to create another plan for side garden and lost my original back garden as i couldn't find a save as

• Views: 83
  • Posted: Fri. 23rd May 2014 13:17
  • Last reply: Fri. 23rd May 2014 14:25

How to use garden planner

Question from doodleflip

Hi
Just signed up to try the garden planner - with only 48hrs to try it to see if I like it I want to get the most out of the time, however, apart from the wordy user manual I cannot find any videos/demos etc of how to use this planner, how to add plants or search for them or what to expect. There are lots of people saying it is good but I cannot find any more info.
I am desperate to get a decent garden planner as I have an acre of land in Loire Valley in France which has its own little vinyard and I want to design a potager, fruit garden, wild flower areas, fruit trees and formal garden plot!
Links to where I can see this software in action etc would be much appreciated.

• Views: 1158
  • Posted: Sat. 26th April 2014 15:50
  • Last reply: Sun. 27th April 2014 08:45

iPad garden design

Question from Neale

I have subscribed for a year intending to try and redesign my garden. The design part of programme doesn't seem to open on my iPad. Am I doing something wrong.

• Views: 137
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Fri. 25th April 2014 18:25
  • Last reply: Fri. 13th June 2014 16:26

iPad garden design

Question from Neale

I have subscribed for a year intending to try and redesign my garden. The design part of programme doesn't seem to open on my iPad. Am I doing something wrong.

• Views: 81
  • Posted: Fri. 25th April 2014 18:24
  • Last reply: Sat. 11th October 2014 09:18