"Thanks for creating such an awesome website!"

– Marion Janner OBE , London

Garden design

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 97

Are you creating your dream garden? Would you like to appear on BBC 2 and get help from one of the best in the business?

General post from Jessica Gomez

Do you want to recreate your favourite place, holiday destination, era or theme on your own patch of land? Or anything else exciting and beautiful?

Monty Don is making a new series for BBC 2 about people who are planning extraordinary gardens in ordinary plots.

If you fit any of the above criteria and would like to achieve your garden ambitions with a little help from the UK's favourite gardener please get in touch.

If you are interested in taking part or would like to learn more please contact jessica.gomez@liontv.co.uk.

• Views: 1618
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 24th July 2013 17:44
  • Last reply: Thu. 25th July 2013 12:00

would this stop squirrels eating my bulbs

Comment from mrs finch

I have tried parrafin, bone meal, deep planting sharp grit, but still the squirrels get my tulip bulbs. i read that they do not like daffodil bulbs, so would it work if i deep plant a tulip and then put a few miniture daffodils higher up, would the smell of the daffodil hide the tulip?

• Views: 199
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 13th July 2013 22:41

newbie cannot even draw a bed properly

Comment from mrs finch

well i started to enter my first bed. turned the ruler on. i expected the numbers on the ruler to correspond to the measurements showing up on the pop up window on the right. I have tried changing the grid size but that did not work. the box on the right shows the correct measurements for my bed, but the ruler does not. How do i get them to match?

• Views: 160
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 13th July 2013 09:32
  • Last reply: Wed. 5th February 2014 12:44

Flowering Shrub

Question from Ian Betteridge

Hi,

I have a section in the garden that contains two trees, so the ground itself gets some rare sunshine in the day (no more than 2 hours), but equally the ground is dry.

I'm looking for a nice climber for privacy and one that flowers in summer. But of course has to cope with the shady, dry conditions.

I have attached some pictures for anyone to help.

Many thanks,
Ian

• Views: 182
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 8th June 2013 21:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 10th June 2013 17:09

MY GARDEN PLANNER

General post from ANNA ALTANA

I love this site and am glad I subscribed BUT Im having a nightmare with the Garden Design programme. I created my garden shape to scale etc but it doesn't seem to zoom to screen size. I find myself fiddling about with a tiny rectangle and that's no good to me. Any ideas????

• Views: 213
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 31st May 2013 11:19
  • Last reply: Wed. 5th February 2014 12:00

suggestions please

Tip from Adam Byrne

I have area in my garden that is a bit of a mess. full of weeds in bare earth (fairly heavy and moist but drys out a lot in dry times). No matter how much i spray with weed killer i cant control it. The area is shaded by 3 apple trees but does get a fair amount of sun early on (its facing east so catches sun in the morning to about 3pm on a good day) I did put two raised beds in the shadiest part of the area last year and grew carrots, courgettes, peas, lettuce, parsnips and cabbages> I also planted potatoes in the bare earth and had some success despite it flooding (see picture). I would like some suggestions for things that would provide colour throughout the year and attract some wild life. also howt o prepare the area

• Views: 134
  • Posted: Tue. 21st May 2013 21:46

How to create a second design

Question from Anne Kibble

I have already created an allotment design and would now like to create a design for my garden. I also want to change the name of my allotment design but cannot see how to do this. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

• Views: 211
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd May 2013 19:24
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th May 2013 07:59

WANTED - Student Landscaper

General post from Jo Fox

Hi,

We are based in High Wycombe and have a rather tired back garden on a relatively steep slope. Are there any student landscapers out there who fancy seeing what they can make of it? We have a young child so it would need to be a relatively child-friendly garden, but otherwise we're open to your ideas and would be happy to be guinea pigs!

Please reply here.

Thanks

Jo

• Views: 244
  • Posted: Thu. 11th April 2013 13:31

Alternative lawn..

Comment from Judi the Gardener

I am currently working on a garden design where I am considering using an alternative to a grass lawn.. am really excited by the idea of using either Chamaemelum nobile 'Treneague' or Thymus serpyllum 'minor'. I understand that the Chamomile can be bought and laid as turfs and that the creeping Thyme can be planted as plants. We (clients and I) may well decide to go with a combination of both conventional lawn and do some inter-planting with these alternative ground cover plants.

The space available for planting lawn is 30 square metres. The garden has a south-west aspect and the current quality of the soil needs improving, still has small bits of builders rubble from landscaping work recently carried out.

Has anyone any experiences they can share with me please? Successes and challenges..

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Judi.. :-)

• Views: 343
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 7th April 2013 21:01
  • Last reply: Mon. 8th April 2013 07:52

climbing plants for south/west walls

Comment from pauline walker

Hi ,
I am new to shoot and gardening so might ask daft questions ! i would like a fast growing attractive plant to cover unsightly pointing on the front of the house .It will need to be grown in a pot please also advise on feeding and maintainance of climbing plants .i have planted whisteria in a pot but it is a bit weedy i would like to form a deep bed in the ground but can't get hubby to agree to dig up the concrete.Thanks

• Views: 2752
  • Replies: 7
  • Posted: Sun. 13th January 2013 10:24
  • Last reply: Thu. 4th April 2013 21:26