"I will continue to use Shoot for the rest of my life."

– Nikki Griffith , Lifetime Member

Garden design

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 118

inaccessible garden!

General post from Sue Osmaston

At the end of last September, I downsized from a ½ acre steeply sloping garden to a small ‘cottage’ garden, which I hoped would be easier to manage.
There is no lawn to mow, but I have open fields on each side of the property with sheep doing all the mowing for me!
The problem is that the only bit of cultivated garden lies in two tiers above a dry stone wall – see pictures. There are some rather steep steps up to the garden, but I am actually quite fearful of falling over the edge of the wall on to the tarmac drive below – so I haven’t begun to tackle it as yet.
I would be glad of any suggestions as to how to make this garden easier to access and to maintain? It is south facing, but open to the prevailing westerly wind. I don’t know about the Ph factor as yet, but this is the Lake District, so I imagine it will be inclining towards acid, rather than alkaline.

• Views: 231
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 1st February 2015 16:18
  • Last reply: Tue. 3rd February 2015 12:30

Evergreen perennials for winter interest in cottage garden beds

Question from Penny Albertella

Hi. I am looking for some smaller plants/grasses which are evergreen perennials to give summer and winter interest

• Views: 151
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 11th October 2014 10:11
  • Last reply: Sat. 11th October 2014 19:45

Plant List in garden planner

Comment from Gill Greetham

I have a plant list in one of my garden plans"New Beds" is there anyway this can be migrated to "Plant list - I would like" other than retyping the whole lot or failing that printing out the plant list in the garden planner, an early reply would really be appreciated OKAY ALL SORTED FOUND IT IN GARDEN NOTEBOOK..

• Views: 111
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 5th October 2014 19:33
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th October 2014 08:02

hydrangea semanii or petiolaris

Question from christine whitehouse

Based in Worcestershire, I have a large steep northfacing bank of very heavy clay above a pond - very dry and concrete like at the top, permanently wet and squidgy at the bottom. In the photo it is the central area part in sun part in shade about 5m by 3m. It doesn't get any sun from Sept through to April. At the moment there is only couch grass growing there, but my husband is getting fed up with the strimming... So I had in mind to grow something like a large leaved vigorous ivy and or one of the climbing hydrangeas on the basis that the roots could be kept cool and moist but they would climb up and cover the bank. Does anyone have any comments on this? or experience of hydrangea semanii in similar conditions? I would prefer evergreen rather than deciduous. Many thanks for any help.

• Views: 78
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd September 2014 15:03

Patio re-think

Question from Helen Marsden

I thought I would take down the old car port in my garden and replace it with a stone slab patio atop the concrete base. Now the structure is down I think it is too large and is set at an awkward angle in relation to the path. Should I keep a smaller area of concrete base, which bit, and what shape? I am stuck, and would be grateful for assistance. I prefer a softer country garden look. I guess I need curves but how?

• Views: 99
  • Posted: Thu. 18th September 2014 11:35
  • Last reply: Mon. 22nd September 2014 15:40

Patio Placement

Question from Helen Marsden

This is the side of my garden. The photo shows the large concrete base which used to be a car port (recently dismantled). We planned to cover this with stone slabs to make a patio - it is directly outside our dining room french windows. Now the structure has been removed I am not happy with it. I think it is too large, and the path next to the house emphasises that it is set at a different angle to the house & path. Would readers suggest removing the whole concrete base, the path, or both or keeping a section of concrete base for a patio, and which bit? I thought I had a plan but now I am stuck! The house is Victorian and I prefer a softer country garden look. I know I should be thinking curves but where to start!

• Views: 53
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 18th September 2014 11:25

Plant associations

Question from Tojo

Can anyone advise me please on what goes well with white Japanese Anemones? I have two that I want to put between a clump of Euphorbia Wulfennii and another clump of Sisyrinchium - I don't know the variety but it's about 18" tall with yellow and white flowers.
Thank you for your help

• Views: 180
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 1st September 2014 16:08
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd September 2014 17:47

New beds with themes

Comment from Gill Greetham

Hi everyone I wish to design 2 new beds I have two themes in mind either (1) morning and evening, or (land and sea) anyone got any ideas on whcih plants could reflect either of these themes? As it seems the weather is turning thought that those of you stuck indoors on the computer might welcome this challenge and I could certainly do with the help. Thank you in advance - Gill

• Views: 79
  • Posted: Fri. 22nd August 2014 12:49
  • Last reply: Fri. 22nd August 2014 23:28

My plants list

Comment from John Burns

Hi - totally new to gardening and having problems knowing which shapes in the design software to associate with the plants in my list. I was hoping that the software would tell me what the plant looked like...???? Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

• Views: 79
  • Posted: Sat. 16th August 2014 22:43
  • Last reply: Sun. 17th August 2014 10:40

Garden design tool

Question from sue

Hi been trying to access the Free Garden Design Tool, it keeps telling my free trial is no longer available and to update my subscription, but yet it is still advertised on the google internet search engine as being a FREE TOOL FOR GARDEN DESIGN. Didn't realise that there was a time limit to use this application from registration!

• Views: 87
  • Posted: Sun. 3rd August 2014 14:27
  • Last reply: Sun. 3rd August 2014 17:03