"Love love love your website!!!"

– Gwen Twitter Fan , Master Composter & Accidental Vegetable Gardener

Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Forum for Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'

Go to the Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' details page

Total number of topics in this forum: 3

Acer Palmatum Bloodgood

Question from Jane Stymest

I have already lost one acer during the past couple of months, probably foolishly thinking this was due to repotting it. The leaves died back starting at the tip of each branch and then fell off. Eventually the whole tree was affected. The same thing has now started on the Palmatum Bloodgood. I have sprayed with both bug clear and fungus clear during the past month but to no avail. I have noticed on the dead acer which is still in pot but removed to another part of the garden, tiny fluffy loose cotton wool areas all over the tree. Looking carefully at my dying acer, also in a pot, I can see similar strands of cotton wool in one or two places and also on a nearby standard fuschia. I have looked carefully but cannot find any signs of insect. Where the branch has been damaged the wood itself has whitened in places. Help!

• Views: 770
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 6th June 2010 13:54
  • Last reply: Mon. 7th June 2010 06:54

Acer 'Bloodgood'

General post from Mark Pumphrey

This purple foliaged maple will reach 3 m high with a comperable spread. The foliage is a darker colour compared to Acer palmatum 'Atropureum' whose foliage is a dirty red green. The foliage will burn in an exposed location so find a sheltered spot. With such a dark coloured foliage it will lend itself to being planted next to golden bamboos Phyllostachys aurea and variegated foliage plants such as Pittosporum Garnettii and Rhamnus 'Argenteovariegata'.

• Views: 541
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 23rd April 2009 08:42

Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'- A Great specimen plant

Comment from Matt Nichol

Great specimen plant whatever style of garden you have. Has to be in the top ten of most loved foliage plants. Deep burgundy colour, good size but not too overwhelming, winter structure, tolerates a wide range of conditions and looks great underplanted with ferns and Brunners' Jack Frost'. Put deciduous Azaleas nearby and wow! Orange is my favorite here and works well with the blue Brunnera flowers.

• Views: 521
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sun. 19th April 2009 10:24