"I really like the plant care calendar, it helps me with pruning!"

– Jules , Wiltshire

Lawns

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 39

Scorched a patch with Scott's fertilizer 30-0-9

Question from Eva

I did a pretty good job of fertilizing our large lawn for the first time but I think I went over a patch one too many times and now the grass is brown in that area. What can I do to fix it? How long will it take to grow back?

• Views: 140
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 27th May 2013 14:27

Puppy lawn damage

Question from Mel

Wonder if there is any cure for my lawn which is suffering from
my puppies urine!
Dug out and gravelled an area for her but she'll go everywhere else but!!

• Views: 568
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 23rd July 2012 16:40
  • Last reply: Wed. 25th July 2012 14:07

fairy rings

Question from Anna

It looks as though we have a dreaded fairy ring which is now spreading and attempting to emulate the olympic rings. Is there anything we can do to prevent or discourage them from spreading further. I have been picking the toadstools off the grass very carefully and disposing of them to avoid treading on them or mowing over them but they just respond by multiplying. Help!

• Views: 328
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 8th July 2012 22:02
  • Last reply: Fri. 13th July 2012 21:51

Why is my lawn going brown?

Question from Patricia Wallington

Hi - hope someone can help. Despite all the rain we've had in the last month my lawn looks dreadful. It almost looks as if it's had weedkiller sprinkled all over it and is brown and dead looking in large patches which seem to be spreading. I've bought some green-up fertiliser but haven't used it yet. Could the grass be suffering from a disease? It was newly laid turf 3 years ago so it's not very old grass. Any help would be appreciated as it's really spoiling the look of the garden. Thanks.

• Views: 581
  • Posted: Tue. 15th May 2012 08:21
  • Last reply: Tue. 15th May 2012 15:23

Where Can I buy a TrueLue for applying Lawn Top Dressing

Question from Ronald Sawers

I came across a Video on the 'net' on how to apply top dressing to a lawn. It refers to a 'professional' very handy looking tool called a 'TrueLue'. Has anybody an idea as to where I could buy one (assuming they are not too expensive!) - preferably by internet/mail order? Thanks

• Views: 673
  • Posted: Sat. 7th April 2012 11:36
  • Last reply: Sat. 7th April 2012 11:47

Patio to lawn

Comment from Stu

Hi all. I'm currently embarking on the mad notion of replacing a patio area to lawn. As you can see from the picture attached, I'm just over half way ripping up the concrete.

The plan is to brick frame the area and turf it, since it's only about 2x3m and would love to have it ready for summer for my little girl to play on.

My idea was to "rotate" much of the hardcore with about 2ft of soil, then top it up with top soil before turfing.

Is this a viable solution? I'm hoping to reuse as much hardcore to save costs on a skip and buying tonnes of soil, but also to create drainage, as we have quite a damp east facing garden, or would this be too much?

Any other thoughts, tips and pointers would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance!

• Views: 336
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 13th March 2012 07:31
  • Last reply: Fri. 12th July 2013 14:39

Healthy growing lawn

Comment from Val Briggs

I have spent the last year or two treating the lawn to all the usual treatments, spiking, raking, fertilising etc and as a result it seems to have continued growing for most of the winter. Although it is still to wet to cut I am wondering if it is worth having a go at moving it if we continue to get warm sunny days, even though it is only February. Would this be foolish?

• Views: 511
  • Posted: Sat. 25th February 2012 00:31
  • Last reply: Sat. 25th February 2012 09:00

Mowing lawn when grass is very wet.

Question from Claudia

My lawn is in shadow most of the winter due to next door trees. (very old and unfortunately beautiful). The grass is quite long and it does not dry out. Can anyone suggest the best machine for cutting it?

• Views: 339
  • Posted: Mon. 14th November 2011 17:45
  • Last reply: Thu. 24th November 2011 10:09

How to Use a Lawn Fertiliser Spreader???

Comment from john hutcheson

Does anyone have any tips on how to use a spreader without scorching the grass? I have a Scotts Easy Spreader +:

No matter how I try, I always end up scorching the grass when I make a turn with the spreader. This spreader does not have a shutter.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid dropping excess fertiliser and causing scorching?

Also, does scorching kill the grass roots or only the leaves? I generally reseed after scorching but wonder if this is necessary?

• Views: 413
  • Posted: Sun. 31st July 2011 09:49
  • Last reply: Sun. 31st July 2011 16:21

Moss and clover and dead grass in lawns

General post from Jill Gregory

Just thought I would like to share what solved my lawn problem of moss, clover and weeds. I tried all sorts every year and was just about to give up when I happened to mention to a neighbour - retired gardener - what was wrong and how I'd tried to solve it with weed killers and moss killers and food etc. He came round with a little petrol driven gadget and within an hour both front and back lawns were moss, clover and weed free. Looked a bit bedraggled for about a week. I am still amazed - never heard of this before but found one in our local gardening centre Flymo Lawnraker Compact. It even collects all the rubbish it rakes out, I love it. My lawn now looks lovely and green and apparently you only need to do this about three to four times a year.

• Views: 285
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Wed. 27th July 2011 18:05