– Julia Fogg , Landscape Architect, Lecturer + Studio Tutor

HLooking for ideas to brighten up a very dull area of my garden

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Kenneth Crowley

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

A section of the back garden is part concreted and part covered with slabs - see pics.

The area gets little sun and the concrete is 6 cm in depth.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I could lighten the area, take the dullness away etc I would particularly like to hear of any ideas where the concrete doesn't have to be dug up.

Thanks in advance.

Kenneth

HLooking for ideas to brighten up a very dull area of my garden (22/03/2012)HLooking for ideas to brighten up a very dull area of my garden (22/03/2012)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 491
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 22nd March 2012 21:39

Re: HLooking for ideas to brighten up a very dull area of my garden

Reply from Patricia Jones

Fill several large pots with soil, for this year sow annual flower seed, ones that are butterfly and Bee friendly. In the late autumn when the flowers have finished, plant spring bulbs. Some seeds you might try that will flower this year (If planted by mid April) are Marigolds, Eschscholzia californica ,Nigella damascena ,Papaver rhoeas , Cosmos bipinnatus , Nicotiana alata .
I hope this is a quick solution for you, don't forget to give a good drink of water once a week or daily should we get a hot summer.
Patricia

• Posted: Thu. 22nd March 2012 23:18

Re: Re: HLooking for ideas to brighten up a very dull area of my garden

Reply from john

White flowering plants are good for brightening up dull areas. This seems to be a common design solution for such a spot.
Cheers John

• Posted: Tue. 27th March 2012 15:27