– Charlotte Rowe , Garden Designer, London

Acer palmatum 'dissectum'

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Mark Pumphrey

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This is a great shrub to use within a japanese styled garden. The finely cut leaves are a joy to be seen as they unfurl in the Spring injecting a very fresh light green to the bed. Unfortunately it is extremely prone to frost damage which can damage the newly emerging foliage. The plant usually recovers but if you can protect with some floating fleece the plant will repay you with a fine display of new growth. The plant is slow in growth but will eventually increase to form a wide spreading plant. Position the shrub within the bed where you can increase the bed to accommodate the plants increasing spread whilst maintaining its frontal location. Once established you can plant a clematis to run through the canopy of this plant. Autumn colours are very good and will transform the plant into a flaming mass of red, orange and yellows. The shrub responds well to lighting illuminating the shrub to uplight it will highlight its form and leaf texture.

• Views: 589
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 23rd April 2009 08:57

Fresh green and beautifully delicate

Reply from Fi

Hi Mark
I've added a pic of my newly leafing Acer palmatum which I believe is 'disectum', lime green changing to orange and red as you say.
I brought it from my Mum's garden almost 5 years ago and planted it in my new gravel patio, which has slowly taken on a Japanese feel with a twisted hazel and a small black bamboo.
It is much hardier than often described, my soil is neutral, clay base (though planted in ericaceous and renew every spring), it is sheltered from strong sunlight and winds, with a northerly aspect. Every winter it looks dead, but emerges every Spring - so far! Heartstoppingly beautiful every time.
Fi

Fresh green and beautifully delicate

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Fri. 24th April 2009 22:30