– John , County Durham

Leaves looking burnt

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Sarah-May Stanley-Gustar

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hello,

I bought a Japanese maple a few months ago. Its been in light shade and a pot filled with the right soil and was fine until the last few weeks. The leaves have been looking progressively more burnt or singed and dry.

I don't know how to deal with this... does anyone else?

• Views: 423
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 1st July 2010 14:52

Re: Leaves looking burnt

Reply from Katy Elton

Hi Sarah,

This sounds like leaf scorch, and is a common problem with Acers. It’s usually caused by either too much sunlight, frost damage when the leaves were young, wind damage, too much/ not enough water, or a combination of all of these. The good news is it tends to be a fairly harmless, superficial issue, that shouldn’t have too much effect on the overall health of the tree.

Actions you can take to minimise it:

• Acers don’t like wet roots, so you need to make sure the soil is fairly free draining and the pot has adequate drainage holes
• Water regularly in hot weather
• If not already, move to a partially shaded area that is sheltered from any wind
• Protect the pot in the winter by wrapping something insulating such as horticultural fleece or bubble wrap round it

Hope this helps! Don’t forget to add it to your ‘Plants I Have’ list to receive regular care updates: http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/acer-palmatum-moonfire?referrer=%2Fplant%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DAcer%26amp%3Bfeature%3Dfoliage%26amp%3Bfilter%3Dcolour%26amp%3Bqualify%3D7

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Thu. 1st July 2010 15:54

Re: Leaves looking burnt

Reply from Alison Jones

My acer's leaves are shrivelling up and falling off now due to wind damage I think. Will It leaf again or will it remain bear until next spring now?

• Posted: Tue. 4th June 2013 09:58