"Shoot is the best gardening site and well worth the subscription. I use it so often that I have it as my homepage."

– Angie , Edinburgh

thx for the answers Kathy C

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from adrian shane

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

my bay tree is very tall,in a metal container, it can barely fit inside around 2.3 meters..:(so i must say that i have no choice...but to plant it outside...can u sugest in what conditions should i do this operation?should i cover it with what kind of materials?some advice will be welcome:P

• Views: 386
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 15th October 2010 17:51

Re: thx for the answers Kathy C

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Adrian,
If you do transplant, do it on a cloudy day - this keeps the roots from drying out. Make sure the roots aren't circling around the rootball - they might continue to grow this way and eventually 'strangle' the plant. Tease the roots out gently. Plant in a hole twice the size of the rootball. Make sure it is firmly in the ground and keep it irrigated if the weather is dry (maybe a deep watering once a week if there is no decent rainfall). Do this now or in spring.
Just wanted to mention that you can keep a large(ish) tree in the pot but you would need to root prune (and most likely prune the crown, too). To do this, lift the plant from the pot (not easy, I know, if it is large) and prune away no more than 1/3 of the rootball. Plant back in the pot with some fresh compost. Water regularly after that. You can keep a tree/shrub in a large container for years if you do this periodically - usually every 3-4 years, more frequently with more aggressive growers.
Let me know what you decide to do and how you get on.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 19th October 2010 17:51