– John , County Durham

damp greenhouse

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from ian

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have just moved into a new house which came with a greenhouse in the garden.Obviously it has not been used for some time because it is full of spiders and every other sort of insect,it also feels quite damp inside.I would like to use this to overwinter some tender plants, any ideas how i can get rid of the insects and the dampness (all the glass is intact but the flooring is just compacted soil) also if i need heating during the cold months what type is best. thanks.

• Views: 477
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 13th September 2011 13:31

Re: damp greenhouse

Reply from Patricia Jones

Power wash the greenhouse on a breezy day, leave windows and door open to air and dry out. If the structure is wooden use a cedarwood treatment to help preserve the wood once it’s dried out. If Aluminium the power wash will suffice. It might be a good idea to use Jeyes Fluid or Armilatox after you have power washed to kill of any mould or disease.both on soil and shelving.
Heating a greenhouse is now very expensive. It is useful to “Double Glaze” it with bubblewrap. You can buy it in garden centres for this purpose. Even on a cold day the sun can heat a greenhouse up, if it is in a south facing aspect. It all depends what you actually want to put in it for the winter. This will keep it frost free and enable you to overwinter tender plants and grow seedlings on for next year.
If the floor is soil, dig it over and add some fresh compost. The addition of slabs to the centre as a path is a good idea. Tomatoes will grow well in an unheated greenhouse.
Patricia

• Posted: Tue. 13th September 2011 23:16

Re: Re: damp greenhouse

Reply from ian

Thanks Patricia for the advice about my greenhouse will keep you updated Ian

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 10:31