OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "Lonicera"

Suggestions

Message from Katy Elton

In forum: Container gardening

Hi Laura,

I'm presuming you're looking for something that is relatively hardy too. How about:

Ercilla volubilis - oval/ heart shaped evergreen leaves, spikes of pinky/ purple flowers in spring, can grow up to 10m high.

Holboellia coriacea - oval evergreen leaves, clusters of mauve/ purple pendulous flowers in spring followed by sausage shaped purple fruits, up to 7m high.

Lonicera sempervirens (or coral honeysuckle) - evergreen saucer-like leaves, clusters of red/ orange highly scented flowers in summer, up to 4m high.

Lapageria rosea (or Chilean bellflower) - evergreen oblong leaves, large pendulous red flowers in summer - autumn, up to 5m high.

Berberidopsis coralline (or coral plant) - evergreen oval/ heart shaped leaves, clusters of pendulous deep red flowers in summer - autumn, up to 4.5m high.

Hope these suggestions help! They are all happy in partial shade, and should be fine for container growing (the larger the container the better!).

Let us know how you get on.

Katy

• Posted: Tue. 11th May 2010 15:25

Climbing plant suggestions

Message from Katy Elton

In forum: General

Hello,

I'm guessing you want a hardy, fairly fast growing plant that will give you quick results whilst being interesting for the children. Some initial suggestions are:

Lonicera copper beauty - a hardy, fast growing, evergreen honeysuckle, with deep yellow sweetly fragrant flowers and bronze foliage.

Akebia quinata - a hardy, fast growing, semi-evergreen climber with lovely dark purple vanilla scented flowers which are sometimes followed by sausage shaped fruits. This is an unusual plant also known as 'chocolate vine' (may be fun and appealing to the children).

Clematis cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles' - a hardy, fast growing, evergreen clematis, which bears maroon and cream speckled flowers over winter (which may be more appropriate for a school rather than one which flowers in summer when the children are all on holiday?).

Passiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliott' - a tough, relatively hardy, fast growing passion flower with large, interesting exotic looking flowers. Sometimes forms large orange fruits too.

The above are hardy within reason - how exposed is your site and whereabouts are you geographically? The passion flower in particular would struggle in a frosty, exposed site.

Cont. below...

• Posted: Thu. 4th March 2010 16:04

Some ideas for a sorry sight !

Message from Anna Taylor

In forum: Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

Ooh dear, what a shame ! I like your fence style, but this is a sad view. Could you plant some evergreen climbers like clematis armandii or lonicera henryi. Or use the fence to plant espalier fruit trees to retain the productive theme.
It is a tricky one for you, a shrubbery would be lovely if you have got the space to grow fruit and veg elsewhere.
Good luck

Anna Taylor
http://www.landscaper.org.uk
http://www.woodhouselandscape.co.uk

• Posted: Thu. 25th February 2010 19:36

Lonicera

Comment from Jacqueline Chinery

In forum: Lonicera x italica

Remove 1 in 3 shoots to near ground level after flowering

• Posted: Sat. 14th November 2009 15:11

Scented plants

Message from Georgie

In forum: General

Hi Hugh

I'm a huge fan of scented plants and here's a list of my current favourites.

Hesperis (Sweet Rocket)
Oriental Lilies
Sweet Peas
Helitrope
Scented Pelargoniums
Lavender
Rosemary
Lonicera (Honeysuckle)
Nicotiana
Evening Primrose
Pittosporum tobira
Jasmine

Hope that gives you a few ideas. Do let us know what you decide to grow.

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 6th June 2009 17:52

Flowering now

Photo from Anne Gatton

In forum: Identify a plant

This wonderful plant is growing in our hedge on the side of an embankment I can't really get at it as it is growing in the middle of a Privet hedge I thought maybe Lonicera but can't find one to match, does anyone have any ideas. I am going to try and take some cuttings later in the year. We have only been in this house 7 months and I am creating a garden from scratch. Have a 2nd photo but can't se where I can upload it.

• Posted: Mon. 25th May 2009 19:44

This plant is featured at Chelsea Flower Show 2009

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet'

Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet' (Honeysuckle 'Dropmore Scarlet') has been used in The HESCO Garden by Leeds City Council for Chelsea Flower Show 2009.

• Posted: Sun. 17th May 2009 11:59

Planting schemes

Message from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Maggie, what a lovely prospect! My general advice is to start off with a backbone of evergreen shrubs on your plan, which will provide year-round interest. Too much evergreen will be very static, so the fun will be in the seasonal interest - this does not always have to be flowers, it could be berries or interesting shapes or textures of plants, an example is Corylus avellana 'Contorta' which has twisted branches and is particularly sculptural after leaf-fall. Summer is usually the easiest season to satisfy, so I won't make any suggestions for that. There are many different Clematis that flower at different points in the year, C. cirrhosa 'Freckles' is evergreen and flowers in late winter to early spring, Hellebores are also lovely during this time. Lonicera fragrantissima is a deciduous shrub that has scented flowers on bare stems around the same time. Bulbs are good for injecting colour at different times of the year and annuals are great for filling in gaps whilst the permanent planting is maturing. Another tip is not to be too hasty in tidying up in autumn, seed-heads of some herbaceous perennials and grasses are very attractive through until spring and also provide a winter habitat for wildlife. The RHS encyclopedia of plants and flowers is a great book for planning as it is arranged by colour by season, also visits to gardens and nurseries at different times of the year give the opportunity to see the plants in season for real. I hope this is helpful and wish you a lot of pleasure in your venture, all the best Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 26th March 2009 23:41

Shady Corner

Message from Jason Lock

The plant design that I would suggest for your 'dreary corner' would be the following list not all reds and yellows as you suggest but would grown in what you describe as dry shade. Before I get to the list also consider painting the walls a bright colour - may be a warm cream which will take you eye of the drabness of the block work and brick work.

Plants suitable for dry shade would be:

Ajuga
Alchemilla
Aucuba
Berberis vars
Bergenia vars
Brunnera vars
Danae racemosa
Epimediums
Euonymous vars
Hardy Geraniums
Iris foetidissima (seeds poisonous)
Lamium
Lirope
Lonicera vars
Mahonia Vars
Osmanthus x burkwoodii
Pachysandra
Pittosporum
Pulmonaria vars
Ribes in variety
Salvia
Sambucus
Santolina
Vinca

I hope this helps. Although you sent a picture it would be a best for you to perhaps seek the advice of s designer to make the best use of the space. It need not be expensive the best way to get to a qualified designer would be to contact the Society of Garden Designers on the link below www.sgd.org.uk

Jason Lock MSGD
http://www.deakinlock.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:56

Climbers for pergolas

Comment from David Sewell

Hi Debbie,

There are lots of scented climbers including quite a few useful evergreen ones. Have a look at:
Lonicera japonica cultivars like 'Halliana'
Clematis armandii
Jasminum officinale
Trachelospermum jasminoides
Wisteria sinensis (particularly 'alba')
Lots of climbing roses
Clematis Montana
Akebia quinata (has a vanilla scent)
Lathyrus odoratus (sweet pea)
Lonicera heckrottii

All best,
David
David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:38

Climber for a west facing wall

Comment from David Sewell

Hello Sophie,

Interesting that you're not having much luck with Clematis. It might be worth hoofing out some of the soil in the border and replacing it with good new stuff or at least enriching the soil and then trying Clematis armandii which is white-flowering scented, evergreen and pretty vigourous.
One of the semi-evergreen scented Honeysuckles like Lonicera japonica 'Halliana' or 'Halls Prolific' would be worth a look too. Amazing scent! Wisteria sinensis is also mildly scented and would love a west facing wall but obviously isn't evergreen.

For small scented shrubs you could try one or two of the following:
Daphne odora 'Aureomarginata'
Lavandula - loads of varieties to choose from but Hidcote is a reliable old cultivar.
Lonicera purpusii - one of my favourites and flowering now.
Philadelphus 'Lemoinei'
Viburnum carlesii - another favourite of mine and now much easier to find than it used to be.

All best,
David
David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:36

You asked for it!

Message from Ann

In forum: New to gardening

I am dying to bore someone with this so thanks for asking lol !.
On the pergola - Rosa Malvern Hills, jasminium nudiforum, lonicera graham thomas, clematis huldine, rosa maid of kent.
Bedding is long - achillea, agastache, alchemilla, anemone, anthemis, aquilegia, aruncus, aster, astratia, bidens, calamagrostis karl forester, campanula, catanache, centratnthus, cimicifuga purpurea, coreopsis, delphinium, deschampsia, dianthus, diasica, digitalis, epimedium rubrum, erigeron, erynciums, erysimum, euphorbia, gaura the bride, geranium, geum, gypsophillia, helenium, helianthus, herocallis, heuchera, iris, knautia, kniphofia, libertia, lubularia, linaria, lupins, maclays microcarpa, miscanthus, molinia, nepeta, origanum, osteospernum, paeony, panicum, papaver, pennisetum, penstemon, persicaria, polemonium, potentillia, salvia, sedum, sisyrinchium, stachys byzantia, stipa, thermopsis, trifollium, verbena, veronica + shurbs and other climbers.
Phew!

Thanks for the advice and offer on edibles especially the corn, best I wait until the veg beds are done for that, I have put off edibles way too long because seed seems daunting, Must do it now - I need to get a propogator really but will try strawberries for sure. Any tips on which one? will try onions and carrots I think - and definately garlic under the roses. Any "easy" things to try that you can suggest? Never grown a thing before so something to give me confidence would be great.

Many thanks - That should keep you going for a while!

Ann

• Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 11:51

Late Dutch Honeysuckle leaf drop

Message from Kathy C

In forum: Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina'

Hi, John
How frustrating for you! There could be a number of reasons why your plant is losing leaves. One reason could be the plant is lacking nutrients. It might be dropping older leaves to have enough energy to support/produce new ones. Try feeding it in early spring and again in early summer.
Is there grey, fuzzy mould on the branches? Did the leaves that dropped have a white bloom on them before they fell? If the plant has mouldy patches, the problem could be mildew. This can be treated with a fungicide application in spring. Do this before you notice leaves drop because by then, it is probably too late to make a difference with spraying. If the leaves that dropped had a white bloom or white patches on them, the problem could be Honeysuckle leaf blight - a growing problem in the UK - though I am not leaning toward this because the symptom you described doesn't quite fit the descriptions I have read of this problem. You might want to take a look at this link that tells more about it:
http://www.bspp.org.uk/ndr/july2004/2004-08.asp
Hope this has been helpful and please me posted on your Lonicera.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 11th November 2008 15:25

Plants for Jemma

Message from Cris

In forum: Garden design

Hiya,
Some shrubs to look at for your shady area are:
Sarcococca humilis, Mahonia repens, Fatsia japonica, Buxus sempervirens. For an acidic soil try Pieris japonica.

Some ground covers:
Pachysandra terminais, Euonymus fortunei 'Kewensis', Vinca minor.

Some lovely perennials:
Trillium, Meconosis, Pullmonaria

Climbers that can be used as ground cover or you can grow them up a teepee form/obelisque:
Lonicera japonica 'Hall's Prolific' or
L. japonica 'Horwood Gem' or L. japinoca var. repens.

Hope you like some of those!

• Posted: Mon. 8th October 2007 13:36