OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "Sage"

I HAVE SO MANY SEEDS TO SWAP!

Comment from Hayley

In forum: Trade plants & Swap plants

Would like to swap
2x 20 cosmos seeds, pic inc, very pretty pink.
2x 20 Japanese anenome, gorgeous bright pink, pic inc.
1x 05 Coral/Pink HollyHock, stunning, mine was over 8ft this year.
5x 20 Lychnis Coronaria, such a great plant and self seeder, pic inc.
2x 20 mixed delphinium, lilac and dark purple.
4x 30 corriander, incredible plants this year, and gorgeous flowers when seeded, perfect for vase fillers and scent the living room for days!
Linaria Purpurea, fabulous background plant which attracts the bees and butterflies.

Am looking for some other seeds in return, send me a message and make me an offer.

• Posted: Thu. 18th August 2011 00:09

Re: Re: Hebe Lady Ann

Message from Nicola

In forum: Trees and shrubs

Thanks for helping Valerie:)

Catherine if you reply to yourself Valerie or me here you can add up to 3 images of the plant if have them. Simply click 'Browse' under the message box, find each image and then click the green submit button.

Hope that helps. Nicola

• Posted: Wed. 17th August 2011 08:47

Re: Re: Re: Leylandii as specimen tree

Message from Valerie Munro

In forum: Leylandii x Cupressocyparis

Hi John

I totally agree with you!

I was working on the gentle notion that planting a leylandii which Barbara was planning to 'control' into something quite small was not a very good idea! I have seen too many results of the wrong plant being put into a space, with the result that the garden owner has spent time and energy hacking it back to maintain a size, and at the same time ruining the natural attributes of the plant.

My message is always make the right choice in the first place and then everyone is happy, the gardener, the plant and the overall ambience of the garden. If someone really wants to have, say, a ceanothus for their smallish garden, with careful searching there will be the perfect species/cultivar for their space.

But I know that you know this too!

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Mon. 1st August 2011 10:07

Re: Black marks on foliage.

Message from Nicola

In forum: Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'

Hi Lisa - can you add some photos? It might help. Reply to me or to your own message to keep your reply in the same thread. You can add up to 3 images per forum post. Cheers Nicola

• Posted: Thu. 14th July 2011 06:41

Re: Clematis x durandii

Message from Catherine Tanser

In forum: General

Sorry Angie, looks like you only got half a message earlier. Thank you very much for advice on both clematis.
Catherine Tanser

• Posted: Thu. 30th June 2011 19:54

Re: Re: my magnolia stellata looks dead

Message from ken chilton

In forum: Magnolia stellata

i have been watering regularly ,allthough our heatwave up here in heysham was nothing like other parts of the country,im just wondering if its because i repotted it?still fingers crossed and just keep watering and feeding and hope for the best,thanks for your message anyway

• Posted: Thu. 23rd June 2011 09:05

Re: Re: Can you identify this please

Message from AJ M

In forum: Identify a plant

Thanks Anita. I thought it was a sage but it is SOOOOO big.

• Posted: Sun. 29th May 2011 18:50

Re: Can you identify this please

Message from Anita Sullivan

Wow. That's some garden you've aquired! The yellow flowered plant is a Jerusalem Sage (probably Phlomis fruticosa?). It's in the Shoot plant list if you want to know more. XAX

• Posted: Sun. 29th May 2011 09:47

Re: clary sage

Message from Nicola

In forum: Salvia sclarea

Hi Gina, this article might help you? How to water

• Posted: Sun. 29th May 2011 08:59

clary sage

Comment from Gina

In forum: Salvia sclarea

I have a young plant, it's growing in sun/part shade. I water it every four days or so, when the soil has dried out. It's leaves are turning brown, so I'm wondering what could be wrong?

• Posted: Sun. 29th May 2011 05:15

Re: What type of gardening how-to's would you like to see on Shoot?

Message from Angie Robertson

In forum: Gardening how-to videos

What a good idea Donald - there are many ways this coud be done. The facility to Private Message other members would be advantageous, especially as sometimes many topics end up being a conversation between 2 members. Perhaps the county of residence next to members 'names' could also be used. This of course could be optional for members to decide to opt in or out.
Hopefully Nicola and her staff take some of our ideas on board. FYI I am also in Central Scotland

• Posted: Thu. 26th May 2011 16:28

Re: Re: R. Everred

Message from Nicola

In forum: Caterpillars

Hi Katie - I can see you are having problems adding images. Click the icon with the curved arrow called reply to reply to one of these forum posts. A box will open allowing you to type in a message. Just under that there are three browse buttons. Click the first one to find the file of your image saved onto your computer. The images need to be in .jpeg format to work. Once you have found the image files you want to add (we allow up to 3 per forum post) click the green submit button. I hope that helps! Thanks Nicola

• Posted: Sun. 15th May 2011 07:38

Adding new plants to Shoot

Comment from Jo

In forum: General

Hi. I saw a message on the homepage to say you'd added some new plant's at a member's suggestion. I have a couple more to suggest. 'The Wedgewood Rose' (a new English Rose from David Austin), and Gypsophila Festival Pink.

Is this the best place to suggest additional plants, or would another forum or email work better?

• Posted: Sat. 30th April 2011 06:08

Re: Confusion caused by mixed messages

Message from Kathy C

In forum: Weigela middendorffiana

Hi, Stella,
Perhaps I can help. It is true that Weigela middendorffiana is in Pruning group 2 (as Shoot states) which means it should get light to moderate pruning after flowering - and even this is optional (though I would because it never hurts to deadhead if you aren't getting berries). However, in the event the shrub is overgrown or neglected (i.e. never touched with secateurs) and is quite unsightly and lanky, it can be pruned hard to rejuvenate the plant. Useful to know since some shrubs can't be cut back because they won't sprout from old wood. Weigela will. Hope this helps to clear things up.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 19th April 2011 22:15

Confusion caused by mixed messages

Comment from cristabel

In forum: Weigela middendorffiana

Your website says that this plant responds well to pruning and yet the label says categorically "pruning not recommended" How are we supposed to know what to do?

• Posted: Tue. 19th April 2011 17:57

Re: Re: Identification needed

Message from Frank Anstis

Thjank you for this message. I hope to post a close-up within the next two days.
Frank

• Posted: Tue. 19th April 2011 07:08

Re: Problem cats

Message from Ornamental Tree Nurseries

In forum: Cats

Hello,

I've used broken egg shells before where the cats enter the garden, they don't like to walk on it. Also a spray bottle of water - when you see them give them a good squirt in the face and they'll soon get the message.

My cat on the other hand won't be deterred by anything!

Good Luck

Kate

• Posted: Thu. 7th April 2011 10:55

Re: What to plant with trailing begonia's

Message from Linda Regel

In forum: Container gardening

If you are looking for summer colour, there are the ususal suspects like blue lobelia, trailing fuschias, ivy leaved pelargoniums, trailing petunias - all frost tender so don't put out until the end of May. Herbs are hardier and trail a little - thyme, sage, oregano. Heucheras are pretty good for year round colour.
Regards
Linda

• Posted: Tue. 5th April 2011 12:02

Re: Re: Advice needed - seeding a new lawn on clay - how deep my topsoil? or can I do without?

Message from Dockyrph

In forum: Lawns

Hi there - not sure if this link will publish however product is Rootwise and I have it in both pelleted and in powder form, seemed easy enough to apply but couldn't tell you about the outcome yet as the turf has only been down for a couple of months therefore impossible to tell how it might have improved the drainage. Further applications of gypsum can be made in powder or pellet form - pellet probably best once turf is down otherwise it simply blows away. I found Debbie at Rootwise very helpful - see what you think . http://www.rootwise.co.uk/gypsum-root-gyp can't remember what I paid however it ain't supercheap but it's worth a punt. I dug over soil once to a good spit and then later applied and forked in the gypsum into the top 10cm or so ..... My fingers are crossed and I can only trust that the product will do what it says on the bag .... I have done a lot of research on improving clay generally and it seems to be a long term project whichever way you spin it. The RHS helpline suggested that for borders I was better off digging in composted bark fines to improve the texture however have also read that mushroom compost can also do wonders tho' beware that unlike gypsum, the lime content commonly found in mushroom compost may change ph. I am about to plant a load of trees/shrubs and herbaceous and am still dithering as to the best way to improve the soil. all treatments are costly and time consuming and the message is continual application of as much organic matter as you can chuck at it and let worms do as much as possible! I have seen gypsum on sale in decorators merchants in West Norwood - presumably to be used in constrution of stud walling however gypsum is gypsum is gypsum I might assume? Good luck and hope this helps - once can only but try!

• Posted: Thu. 24th March 2011 18:39

Re: Euonymous

Message from Nicola

In forum: Allotments

Thanks Catherine and Carol,

Yes that's right if you type in 'Euonymous' into our search bar you do not get a good match due to spelling. You do get a message, however, which says: Did you mean: eunomia, or euonymus? with links to both plants. Did you see that? It is very possible that isn't displayed clearly enough.

Here are all the Euonymus listed in Shoot so far. We have 39. If yours isn't there we can add it for you by using this form Request a plant

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Nicola from Shoot

• Posted: Fri. 18th March 2011 07:43