What is this?

Question from Donna Waldron

In forum: Identify a plant

Is it another type of meadowsweet?

• Posted: Sat. 30th June 2012 13:33

Re: Re: What is this?

Message from Donna Waldron

Oh thanks. I'll have to take a pic of what I thought was the meadowsweet, very similar though'ish.

• Posted: Sun. 24th June 2012 13:31

Re: What is this?

Message from Carol

In fact, is this the meadowsweet you mention in your other post? (filipendula)

• Posted: Sun. 24th June 2012 12:26

And this?

Question from Donna Waldron

Is this a type of tarragon? If so, what are good uses for it?

I also have a herb called meadowsweet - how can this be used herbaly?

• Posted: Sat. 23rd June 2012 14:22

Re: Any ideas on this please?

Message from Marco

Dear Donna, I believe this could well be bittersweet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_dulcamara

• Posted: Sun. 10th June 2012 11:58

Yellow Leaves

Question from Catherine Spivey

In forum: Magnolia virginiana

I just planted a sweetbay magnolia in my front yard last weekend and I have been watering it on a regular basis and we had a really hard rain on Wednesday of this week. So, it has received plenty of water, but I have been noticing a few of the tree's leaves are turning yellow and dropping each day. There are plenty of blooms that have opened just in this week though. I always thought that yellow leaves meant it was getting too much water. Is that true for this tree? Let me know please because I love this new addition to my yard and I don't want to kill it!!

• Posted: Fri. 4th May 2012 18:12

Re: Sweet Woodruff

Message from ELAINE HUTSON

In forum: Galium odoratum

I live in Oregon, on the west coast in the US, where we do get dry for 3 whole months, so woodruff is considered a woodland plant, so if yours does do well in the sun, a number of woodies would do well.

• Posted: Mon. 30th April 2012 14:11

Message from Carol

Interesting to learn that it grows in the shade! All the patches in my garden are in full sun. Maybe that's why other things are competing quite well. I have magnolia in one patch, potentilla in another, and a patch of irises amongst the woodruff. It does seem to have spread madly last autumn/winter though, so I will be digging it out from around the crocuses and things. The hardy geraniums keep on top of it and nothing seems to stop the muscari (grape hyacinth).

• Posted: Mon. 30th April 2012 13:15

Message from ELAINE HUTSON

I imagine you are talking of shade, since sweet woodruff grows in the shade. Try phlox paniculata' David, it is woody enough to come through, other small leafy types might get overwhelmed, Kirngeshoma palmata might make it through, I know hellebores come through ivy and so does polygonatum hybridum, disporum and hardy fuchsia. Well gardening is all about trial and error. Good luck

• Posted: Mon. 30th April 2012 12:29

Sweet Woodruff

Question from Jo Langley

Does anyone know what other perennials you can grow with sweet woodruff that won't be suffocated by it, as I know that it can take over? Many thanks

• Posted: Mon. 30th April 2012 11:42

Re: About pruning Sweet Wonder

Message from Kathy C

In forum: Rosa 'Sweet Wonder'

Hi, Margaret,
Do you live in an area with mild winters? Or, is the container in a a sheltered spot, possible against a warm house wall? That would best explain the leaves persisting. As far as pruning goes, and despite the leaves remaining, treat it as the patio rose it is. Full instructions for pruning 'Sweet Wonder' are here on Shoot, including when to prune. Just add it to your 'Plants I Have' list and you will get links are pruning instructions.
All the best,
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 2nd April 2012 17:58

About pruning Sweet Wonder

Question from Margaret Smith

In forum: Rosa 'Sweet Wonder'

Does the rose not shed its leaves in winter. Mine is still full of leaves they have never died off, not sure how much to prune. this is my first atempt at growing roses. bought it last year it is in a container

• Posted: Sun. 1st April 2012 11:55

Re: What's the best way to sow carrots?

Message from Muriel

In forum: Edible gardening

I have been growing my carrots (and parsnips and beetroot and beans and sweet peas) this way for a while and it works really well. This way you are planting germinated seeds and there is no thinning out to do. Good luck and happy planting!

• Posted: Tue. 6th March 2012 08:55

Re: Re: How. To deal with tall seedlings

Message from Angela Neal

In forum: General

Thanks Kathy, I thought that too, but they are sitting on a window sill with lots of sunlight. They may be my sweet peas... Sadly the ink washed off my labels with the condensation in the propagator. Rookie mistake! So I have three trays of mystery seedlings.

• Posted: Tue. 21st February 2012 04:50

Re: Re: recently bought a greenhouse

Message from Herman Steijn

In forum: Edible gardening

Hi Gayle,

Thanks for ur comment. I have made yesterday a propagator 2x1 mtr. i used a soilwarming cable that i ordered from england. I made a lid from spare glas that i had for the greenhouse. I sewed already sweet peas, Leeks and onions. I will make some images tomorrow and upload them.

Regards,
Herman

• Posted: Sat. 7th January 2012 19:06

Re: Lathyrus annual sweet pea seeds

Message from Ena Green

In forum: Lathyrus odoratus 'Black Knight'

sweet peas are hardy annuals so will stand all winter in a cold frame where mine are at present. They were sown in October. If you have a frost-free greenhouse you could sow anytime from now or wait until March and sow direct into the ground where they are to grow. They do not like to be mollycoddled with too much heat and need plenty of light once germinated. Hope this helps

• Posted: Sun. 1st January 2012 19:42

Lathyrus annual sweet pea seeds

Question from Mrs Lorna Dyter

In forum: Lathyrus odoratus 'Black Knight'

I have some of these seeds of different varieties, but the packets do not advise when to plant or what conditions are needed, can you help on this please.

• Posted: Sun. 1st January 2012 11:16

Planting in winter

Question from Clare

In forum: New to gardening

As asked the plant I have is Wintersweet. Please help, am I OK to plant it now as it's so young and I do't want the frost to kill it off before it's even had chance to grow or shoul I be doing something else with it.

• Posted: Thu. 8th December 2011 19:19

Re: Re: Using Plant lists in garden design

Message from Carol

In forum: How to use the site

Hi Nicola: I haven't got in to dividing up my list into my garden areas yet, but I do quite a lot of 'echoing' from one part of the garden to another. It's a great way to try different combinations and to use the plants that I know perform well. For example, I have irises and tulips all over the place, and hardy geraniums, sweet woodruff, bugle and lambs ears acting as ground cover in more than one area. I even have sage and thyme as decorative elements in distant borders as well as productive plants in the herb bank. So I would find this feature useful. That makes at least two of us!

• Posted: Fri. 2nd December 2011 09:41