OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "potato"

Potatoes

Message from Georgie

In forum: Container gardening

I'm going to try to grow potatoes for the first time this year and will be using an old 56lt compost sack. I have four first early seed potoatoes 'Swift' chitting nicely and today I prepared the sack. I folded down the sides, put plenty of drainage holes in the bottom and added a good layer of crocks. I'll be adding about 10 cm of compost and organic slow release feed in the bottom and will plant the potatoes next weekend.

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 19:53

veg in containers

Message from Lorna Hazeltine

Hi Lynn. Hope you have more success with carrots than I did last year!! The only carrots I got were about 1inch long, little dumpy things, I am tempted to try again as I love raw carrots, can't stand them cooked! I am also going to try radish, lettuce, spring onions and lettuce in containers. BTW my Maris Bard are chitting nicely, do I leave all the shoots (don't know proper name) on each seed potato or do I remove some, help please. My tomatoes and cucumbers will be grown in the grenhouse.
Lorna

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 11:27

Veg in containers

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Lynn,

I will be growing very similar things to you.

I am definitely growing tomatoes, salads, sweet peppers and potatoes, but I'm giving the runner beans a miss this year. I'm also definitely growing sweetcorn and spring onions.

I can't make my mind up about carrots yet. I failed with carrots two years ago, and last year they were ok but not fantastic. I might give them another go if I have the space.

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 08:53

veg in containers

Message from Lynn Franklin

I will be growing runner beans and tomatoes definately, also salads and sweet peppers, I might try a few carrots too, and I will be doing the potatoes in the old compost bags

• Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 20:28

Veg in containers

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Lorna,

I've had good results with runner beans in containers too. I won't be growing them this year though as to be honest, I'm not over keen on them.

I will be growing potatoes this year too as I have done for the past two years.

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 10:18

Veg in containers

I have grown runner beans in containers and have been quite happy with the results, this year I will also be growing potatoes in containers. I agree that it is important to keep the containers well watered.

• Posted: Thu. 5th March 2009 20:06

Veg In Containers?

Comment from Joanne 9919

Does anyone grow vegetables in containers?

I've been using containers to grow my veg for the past two years and have had great success.

I have found that you can grow most things in containers. I have grown, peas, beans, salad crops, potatoes, sweetcorn, tomatoes etc.

I like to try new things, so i'm going to have a go at aubergines this year.

I'd love to hear about your successes!

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 27th February 2009 19:37

Potatoes

Message from Wendy

In forum: Edible gardening

Will do.

• Posted: Tue. 24th February 2009 17:45

Potatoes

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Wendy,

Keep us informed. It will be interesting to see if you find any differences in growing the different varieties.

Jo.

• Posted: Tue. 24th February 2009 16:47

Potatoes

Message from Joanne 9919

LOL Lorna, that made me laugh.

Such a shame you can't eat butter, yes, I bet you do miss it, I would!

If you are going to go along the lines of using a larger container, you can get away with planting more seed potatoes in each tub. However, I do know of someone who uses flower buckets, planting one tuber in each bucket and they had a great crop.

Allsorts can be used to grow potatoes in. As Georgie has mentioned, you can even use old compost bags, and Bob Flowerdew swears by using old car tyres, adding an extra tyre as the plant grows.

Jo.

• Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 19:37

Potatoes

Message from Georgie

Oh Lorna that gave me a good chuckle! And I think you are wise to go for larger containers for your potatoes. I gather they need lots of water.

Georgie

• Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 17:38

Potatoes

Thanks Joanne. That has answered all my questions about potatoes. I think I am going to forget the flower buckets to grow them in. I do have several largish tubs which have previously been used for non edibles, they were looking a bit grotty and decided to buy some new ones this year. Glad I didn't throw them away. I do have some mint behind the greenhouse.Please don't mention butter I had to give it up (how I miss it!!!).Georgie, when we lived in East Sussex I did "grow" my own butter in the form of a Jersey cow which I had to milk daily. Then we both became pregnant and one of us had to go. Charlie said it was a hard decision to make!!!

• Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 10:14

Potatoes

Message from Georgie

Just wondering if you grow your own butter, Jo, and if so how? ;)

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 21:28

Potatoes

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Lorna,

Flower buckets aren't that deep, so you need to leave enough room to earth up as they grow. Even in the larger containers which I use, I only really put 3 or 4 inch of compost in the bottom before adding the seed potatoes and then of course more compost to cover the tubers.

It doesn't take long before you will see foliage poking through the compost. Let this grow until the foliage is about 5 or 6 inch then add more compost to cover 'most' of the foliage. Don't cover the foliage completely. Keep doing this until the compost is up to the top of the bucket. Once this has happened the foliage will grow as tall as the bucket itself.

Make sure that you water them well and often.

Get some mint seeds sown too as there's no better taste than your own grown spuds, own grown mint and lashings of butter!!!

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 20:57

Potatoes

Message from Georgie

Hello Lorna, nice to see you here. :)

You are being far too modest, I know you did very well with all sorts of edibles last year! Anyway, I'm glad you have started this thread because I'm growing potatoes for the first time this year and I need all the help I can get. I'm going to use an old compost sack, partly rolled down. The seed potatoes I have are first early 'Swift'. They have been chitting for 2 weeks now and have lots of lovely little shoots. I intend to plant them out in late March. I shall make drainage holes, add a layer of crocks to the bottom of the sack and about 15cm of compost. That's as far as I have got with my plans.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 14:59

potatoes

Many thanks Joanne, just 2 more questions. How deep should the compost be beneath the seed pot? I am just thinking how much room is needed to earth up the pots, and when do you start earthing up and for how long?
Lorna.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 11:35

Potatoes

Message from Wendy

Thanks for your advice Jo. I bought small packs of Duke of York, Jerseys and King Eddies a few weeks ago and they are now sitting happily chitting away! I also bought some potato sacks to plant them in and am going to put the King Edwards in an old dust bin so will be interested to see what the outcome is.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 10:55

Potatoes

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Lorna,

I grow my potatoes in containers, but my containers are larger than flower buckets. I place three tubers in each container.

I would advise one seed potato in each flower bucket.

I have had mine chitting for about three weeks now, and they have already started to sprout. I won't plant them out though until around the end of March.

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 10:12

Potatoes.

Question from Lorna Hazeltine

Hi everyone. I have bought 2.1/2kg of Maris Bard seed potatoes. I have put them in a tray in a cool light place to chit.(In dining room which I only use when I have visitors so the heat is only on very low).I would like to grow them in "flower" buckets. Do I just put 1 seed potato in each bucket? Oh, and how long does chitting process take?Can't you just tell I am an OAP with very little gardening knowledge, just ask Georgie!! Thanks for any help you can give.
Lorna

• Posted: Sat. 21st February 2009 20:52

Potatoes

Message from Joanne 9919

Do you know that Wilkinson's sell seed potatoes in packs of 5 for the gardener with the smaller plot?

I have started chitting mine now, but have kept some back and put them in the salad drawer in the fridge. If they store there ok I will plant them out later in the year to hopefully have new potatoes with Christmas dinner.

I grow my potatoes in containers, three tubers to each container and earth up as they grow.

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 21st February 2009 19:53