OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "lavender"

Balancing hard and soft landcaping

Question from rob mcghie

In forum: Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

PLanning for the future I need some suggestions of low maintenance, and year round colour,planting and at the same time softening the nasty hard landscaping I have enherited from a previous diyer -Small buff stone retaining walls and ghastly grey slabs dominating what could otherwise be a pleasant little garden for the odd BBQ and so on. The plants worth retaining are the magnolia tree some standard roses lavender and box and another favourite of mine oteospermum although it is probably a bit too high maintenance to keep in check.Soil is loamy well draining.aspect is easterly ie rear of house faces roughly east.House end is all white pebbledash and rear has a row of bamboo against neighbours garage brick wall. I was thinking about rendering and or painting over the 70's look walls and getting a more contempory feel yet retaining also its attraction for wildbirds which are close to my heart. Thank you team!

• Posted: Tue. 7th April 2009 23:37

Small evergreen shrub

Question from Georgie

Hi

If you only had room for one small evergreen shrub to complement a mainly blue, silver, yellow and white theme which one would you choose and why? The site is south facing and the soil is neutral and well-drained. (I've already got Buddleia, Lavender and Rosemary.)

Georgie

• Posted: Tue. 7th April 2009 20:29

Seeds germinating

Message from Georgie

In forum: Edible gardening

Hi Fi

I love it when my first seeds germinate. My Chillies and Physallis (sown on 15 Feb and 8 Mar respectively) have already been pricked out into individual pots. Last Saturday I sowed my next indoor batch - 9 ornamentals and 4 edibles - and of these two types of Tomato, French Lavender and Centratherum are already up. Outside the Peas under a cloche are doing well, the potatoes (Swift) are 'cracking the compost' and in the greenhouse the Radish 'edible leaf' are just beginning to show. Oh and I had my first batch of Greek Cress in my cheese roll yesterday :D Exciting times indeed!

Georgie

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 18:09

Scented plants

Message from Fi

In forum: Garden design

Hi Eleanor
I've had a similar problem area next to some conifers. I have planted summer and winter flowering jasmines, and honeysuckles - if you have the trees to go with the roots!? Also, you could try med herbs like Rosemary and Thyme, or ground cover pennyroyal, or ground ivy (both mint family and lovely when you tread on them).
Otherwise, maybe terracotta pots with lavender in them? These could be moved into the sun later in the day.
Have fun and let us know what you do/share your success so I can copy!
Fi

• Posted: Mon. 30th March 2009 21:37

Partial Shade Low Fragrant Hedge?

General post from Eleanor Davis

In forum: Garden design

Hey,

Okay, this is probably a tall order but I'd love to have a line of Lavender Munstead but it'd be in partial shade and I know they just won't thrive there. There's a seating area here, (I have a kinda copse affair going on) so the scented idea appeals.

So, is there something similar that I could use that would get some sun up to 2:30 then dappled onwards?

It's a little rooty too because of some tree roots. I know, I know, the odds are stacking up against it:)

Many thanks.

• Posted: Mon. 30th March 2009 18:54

Irene Johnston

Message from Irene Johnston

Thank you so much for your advice - it was very useful. I'm glad that one of my own ideas, the Phyllostachys, was on your list! Lavender would be fantastic and I was also thinking of different grasses, geraniums, achillea and some lupins for height. Would an Amelanchier and/or a Prunus be good choices for a small garden? Many thanks again for your help. IJ

• Posted: Mon. 23rd March 2009 14:15

Screening and shrubs for a small garden

Message from Mark Pumphrey

Screening plants that do not cast a heavy shade can be hard to identify but a plant I would suggest could be using a bamboo such as Phyllostachys nigra (black stemmed bamboo). They would provide the height breaking up some of the view beyond with the foliage being light enough to allow light through. They look fantastic up lit and would be very easy to maintain-ideal for first time gardeners and would have a modern look. Shrubs I would suggest for the raised bed could include Pittosporum Tom Thumb which has a very interest leaf changing from green to purple. Lavenders are also a good plant to use in a small garden providing scent as well as colour to the garden. Try to consider the style your daughter and son in law have within the house and design the garden in a corresponding manner reflecting their own taste. In a small garden it is important to use plants that provide many features such as being evergreen but offering flowers and interesting new growth colour-pieris would be ideal and by selecting a dwarf form such as 'Little Heath' it will not become too big. Limit the number of different plants distilling the selection can be difficult but it will provide a sharper look and will be easier to maintain providing the plants are grown in bold groups. Have a look at some of our images on our website and you will see how we have tried to achieve this.
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 11:31

rockery in full sun

Question from Sandra Messham

Can anyone suggest what plants to put in a small Rockery and Borders that is in the sun all day . I have spring bulbs but can't seem to find a plant to survive the summer only Lavender & Hostas.

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 09:48

Plants to attract beneficial insects

Message from Georgie

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

Hi Jo

This is one of my favourite subjects. :D

Now you will see from the title I am assuming that this is what you mean but if you want slugs/snails/rabbits/deer/squirrels/moles/aphids etc I'll happily post again. ;)

I'm going to post ten plants avoiding those already mentioned but I could go on and on! Some of these get a bit taller than 2 feet but you can always pinch them out if need be:

Aquilegia vulgaris for bees
Borage for bees
Heliotrope for bees, hoverflies and butterflies
Hesperis for bees and hoverflies
Lavender for bees
Mustard for hoverflies
Nasturtims for bees (and as a companion plant)
Oxeye Daisy for bees, hoverflies and butterflies
Salvia officinalis (Sage) for bees
Verbena Bonariensis for bees and butterflies

Georgie

• Posted: Wed. 18th March 2009 21:50

Gardening for wildlife

Question from Georgie

Hi. I'm looking for more ideas to make my small, narrow London garden more attractive to wildlife.

At the moment I have a log pile; small pond; an old windowbox with grass which is left long; flowers to attract butterflies and beneficial insects and larger plants like Lavender, Rosemary, Ivy and Buddliea.

I allow herbs to flower, mulch the border and have a bird feeding station. I use companion plants and sacrificial plants and I don't use any chemicals. I leave the perennials like Verbena Bonariensis intact until spring, use Sunflower stems/bamboo canes cut and tied in bundles under the Ivy for over-wintering ladybirds etc and leave seed heads and berries for the birds rather than cutting the plants back.

But last year I had very few butterflies, lacewings and ladybirds (apart from harlequins) and no hedgehogs. Any thoughts?

Georgie

• Posted: Fri. 13th March 2009 20:39

Matthiola bicornis - Night scented stock

Message from Cris

In forum: General

Thanks for that! I have Lavender planted but that is the only fragrant thing in my garden. I may try that :)

• Posted: Tue. 22nd July 2008 14:46

Attracting Butterflies and Moths

General post from Georgie

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

I'm always looking for new ways to attract these beautiful creatures into my small city garden. I already have Ivy, Lavenders, Honesty, Pansies, Primroses, Verbena Bonariensis, Sweet Rocket, Buddleia, Daisies, Sedum, Oregano and Thyme and this year I'm adding Cuckooflower, Garlic Mustard and Lady's Bedstraw. I draw the line at Dandelions and Nettles (sorry) and Buckthorn, Hop and Holly are out of the question. I can't let my lawn path 'go wild' so I'm going to sow some grass seed in an old window box which is about 60cmx15cm in the hope of encouraging some to breed. I'd be interested to hear what other ideas members have found successful.

• Posted: Sun. 6th April 2008 20:23