OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "sweet"

New garden, new gardener. Need help 3! (Last one)

Comment from Penzance Lara

In forum: Identify a plant

OK, this one is about a metre high, with a metre spread. Not sure about the flowers, but it seems to produce sweet-smelling red berries in the autumn. With thanks.

• Posted: Sat. 30th April 2011 05:43

Bloom removal and rose planting

Question from Callie Williams

In forum: Malus domestica 'Bramley's Seedling'

I planted a Bramley Seedling and a Herefordshire Russet in December and I was wondering whether I should remove the blossom as it is the first Spring that they are in the ground?
Also, I am planting in a patio rose 'Sweet Memories' adding rotted manure, bonemeal and a mulch on top. Should I feed with Growmore under the mulch or would this be overkill?

• Posted: Sat. 23rd April 2011 10:56

Re: Sweet Pepper early flower buds?

Message from Kathy C

In forum: General

Hi, James,
You will want to remove those buds. At this stage, you want the plants to use their energy to get larger. If you leave the flower buds on, the plant will use its energy to make fruit - it won't get big enough to support the developing peppers, etc. Disbud - and you may have to do this again before you plant them outdoors.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 21st March 2011 18:59

Sweet Pepper early flower buds?

Question from James Hirst

Hi - just wondered if anyone could help me - i'm growing a couple of ingrid sweet peppers from seed I started early to try and get a good crop... they are currently being kept on a south facing windowsil.

They are about 5-6" in height at present - but after repotting them they have started to develop a couple of flower buds.... should i remove these?

any other help would be great.

Cheers
James :D

• Posted: Fri. 18th March 2011 14:35

50% off camellias Trehane Nursery (starts March 26th)

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Who can sell me a plant?

The Trehane Nursery annual camellia sale begins on 26th March and the nursery is expecting a bumper year as camellias enjoy renewed popularity across the UK.

“We’ve got some interesting varieties in the sale this year,” said Trehane’s Nursery Manager, Lorraine Keets. “Our 5 litre (60-90cm high) sale stock includes the sweetly scented Apple Blossom with its delicate single white flowers and the shiny, bright red Ruddigore. My personal sale favourite however is the fragrant pinky/white Scentuous. Its small peony flower is really pretty and it can easily be grown to form a wonderfully scented, and at these costs very reasonable priced, hedge.

“We also have plenty of 10 litre ( 90-120cm high) stock available, including two good upright varieties, the formal double pink, Desire and the blush white, Commander Mulroy.

“This will be the 16th sale I’ve been involved with at Trehanes,” said Lorraine. “And I’m predicting that it will be our busiest. Camellias are back in vogue and everyone is looking for a bargain.”

The Trehane Nursery sale starts at 10am on Saturday 26th March and runs until the end of April, stock permitting. The nursery is on Stapehill Road at Hampreston, near Wimborne, next door to Knoll Gardens.

Trehane Nursery opens seven days a week, Monday to Friday from 8.30am – 4.30pm and Saturday and Sunday from 10.00am – 4.00pm.

• Posted: Wed. 2nd March 2011 12:55

Re: Herbs growing

Message from christine s

In forum: Edible gardening

no matter how hard i try i cannot seem to grow herbs, i have made a little plot outside, not started there yet, but wanting to,
ive tried in garden tubs, indoors, no idea what im doing wrong.
please any ideas what to do , where to start,
this is a picture where i want to plant them, these are not herbs, its bare now...wanting to grow basil - sweet Geneoverse,) parsley - moss curled, ) corriander - for leaf,) spinach - picasso f1,) thyme,) and lettuce - salad mix bowl..

• Posted: Sat. 22nd January 2011 22:02

Large container planting

Tip from Jane K

In forum: Container gardening

I have a 2' x 2.5' x 2' (depth) new wooden container, against a south-facing wall which I want to plant to provide all-season interest (and scent). Wisteria, clematis and something for winter, with sweet peas have been suggested. Does this sound feasible? I am particularly keen on wisteria but have had one elsewhere in the garden for the best part of 20 years and it has never flowered despite following instructions! Should I abandon the attempt and consign it to the compost heap?!

• Posted: Sat. 1st January 2011 20:05

Re: What is this plant?

Message from Pam B

In forum: Identify a plant

OMG Have just identified the plant and guess where.....here on Shoot! Its a Polygala x dalmaisiana (sweet pea shrub).
Nicola, I told you it's a fantastic site! BTW the 'normal' sweet pea climber actually comes from Sicily, but I can never get it to grow here in my little 'garden'!! Sod's Law....
What a brilliant site.

• Posted: Sun. 5th December 2010 11:43

Re: Sweet pepper Redskin

Message from Kathy C

HI, Anna,
Yes, they are perennial - sold/marketed as annuals because cold will kill them quickly. The key is to make sure they don' get exposed to temps under 12.5C and get as much light as possible. Don't let them dry out over the winter. As far as feeding goes, there is conflicting opinion on that. Some sources say to continue feeding, others say don't. I would err on the side of not feeding until spring.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 8th November 2010 19:11

Sweet pepper Redskin

Question from Anna

Does anyone know if I am right in thinking that sweet peppers are perennial? I was wondering if it might be possible to overwinter them?
They are in a container. I have a choice of a south facing mini lean-to, but unheated or a north facing unheated room in the house. I imagine the central heating in the rest of the house would not suit. It just seems a shame to throw them out when they are still doing well.

• Posted: Fri. 5th November 2010 12:36

Re: Pinch Sweet Peas

Message from Kathy C

Hi, Kathryn,
Sounds like you know quite a bit about sweet peas already :)
The RHS advises pinching out all growing tips - I would assume that means top and side since they are all growing. Professional growers will remove all side shoots completely to encourage taller plants with larger blooms. So, I guess it all depends on the overall look/growth habit you want to achieve.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 2nd November 2010 19:06

Pinch Sweet Peas

Question from Kathryn Layard

Hi - its been a few years since I planted sweet peas. I have taken a look online, and yes I understand I pinch my sweet peas back down to 2 sets of leaves but how about side shoots? There seems to be conflicting advice on this. Some simply say you do the initial pinch and that's it, they don't even mention side shoot pinching. And others seem to vigorously pinch all the side shoots too, what are your thoughts? I have mine in loo rolls in my mini growhouse, open all day, zipped at night with fleece cover on standby . I know people on the website are not keen on the loo rolls but I thought I would give it a go. The last time I grew sweet peas planted in October I had a wonderful early display of flowers, but I do remember it was hard trying to keep the plants happy until after the frosts. One year I grew them outside, planted them in September, and they were fine. When it was windy I use to go out and tie them back up but they were OK, perhaps it wasn't very frosty. I haven't got any ground now to plant them in, going to be container grown thus in mini growhouse

• Posted: Tue. 2nd November 2010 08:05

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bamboo Confusion

Message from Kathryn Layard

In forum: New to gardening

SOWING SOWING SOWING - spelling was never my strong point but even I can see this mistake.

Thanks again Jude and Hib says thanks too because I have taken it off ebay after your advice yesterday .

Hope you get by without the PC. I HATE mine and LOVE it...

I have a theory that when we get to the other side St Peter will send us all back down immediately to live the 15 years that we wasted sitting waiting for a webpage to load or an e-mail to send or or .....

But they are fantastic for finding out about how to look after bamboo and what people think about using toilet rolls for planting sweetpeas !

I think I might bubble wrap my pots if it gets very cold I haven't got that many and I hate to think of my bamboos gasping!

I have thought about sharing an allotment but currently doing a degree ( I know I know I am a late starter) and I know even if I could do it physically TIME is at a premium. Who knows in 2 years perhaps I could find someone fit to share the plot with me, they can do the heavy digging I can do the hoeing and watering....I did think about paying for an allotment now (£23 a year) so I could perhaps share with someone later, will have to give this some more thought.

Not having used Shoot before if this thread ends how do I post you regarding Bamboo Q’s ?

• Posted: Thu. 30th September 2010 12:53

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bamboo Confusion

Message from Kathryn Layard

Hi and thanks again for all the info. I will try to make this my last posting to you, meant to ask this on the last posting but forgot. Do you wrap your pots in bubble wrap or anything in the winter or do you only have to do that too if you have Fargesias that can read?

I read it was important to keep the pots frost free because if the roots freeze the leaves can dry out really quickly in strong or freezing winds. It also said to water through the winter, what do you do? Beyond this do you feed through the summer and assume keep watering? Whilst I have had a lovely garden at my old home for 30 years I have never grown bamboo or worked with clay, gardened on sand at the last house so VERY different.

I know the hardly can move in the evening syndrome. We have, as my post said, only recently moved to the village and our garden is small, just around the corner are some lovely allotments, I would love one but I know it makes no sense. Almost caved in a few weeks ago only to do my hip hoovering, but I walk round the allotments every day and dream of being even 10 years younger and fitter. Thanks again for all your help. Must start a thread on sweetpeas and October sewing next !

• Posted: Wed. 29th September 2010 22:39

Re: sweet williams

Message from Jude, Kent

Hi Annie
Mine came through last winter in Kent - not the coldest part of the country but I'm in a frost pocket. If your garden is reasonably mild you can move them now; otherwise wait till spring. Either way, cut back the old flowered stems and they'll look much better. You may find they've seeded themselves though you might not see anything till spring.

• Posted: Wed. 29th September 2010 00:35

Re: Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

Message from Valerie Munro

Thank you for attaching the photograph of your work in progress - this is extremely helpful

The limiting factor in the information that you have given about the planters along the back fence line is the width of the bed, I am assuming that you wish to have some height to cover the fence?

My first thoughts were to plant a line of Phyllostachys nigra (black stemmed bamboo), or P. aureosucculatra (yellow groove bamboo) which would grow quite quickly, and you could prune off any intrusive side shoots to expose those lovely shiney bamboo stems.

And then I thought of an evergreen climber - Trachelospermum jasminoides - but you will need to give it something to hang on to. It can be a little slow to get going, but once established it will give you attractive leaf cover all year round, with the added bonus of sweetly scented white flowers in the summer.

Going this route, you may find some spare spaces at the foot of the plant that you could populate with some small ornamental grasses such as Carex 'Evergold' or Festuca glauca, in a repeating pattern right across the garden.

I hope that this helps
Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Tue. 7th September 2010 17:18

Re: Re: Elstar Apple fruit maturity

Message from Brian French

In forum: Malus domestica 'Elstar'

Thanks, Kathy. Have a few windfalls but a lot of them are quite rosy already. They seem to be getting bigger though so I'll take your advice and wait. The ones I had last year were lovely. Sweet and juicy. Once again, Thanks.

• Posted: Wed. 1st September 2010 05:01

Re: Peppers, red/green what colour should they be?

Message from Katy Elton

Hi Richard,

Yes – as a general rule chillies lose their heat the more they ripen. When they’re green they tend to taste slightly bitter, and pretty hot, and as they go red they develop a sweeter taste, but also lose some of their heat.

Chillies can be eaten at any stage of the ripening process – whatever suits your tastes best!

Hope this helps.
Don’t forget to add to your ‘plants I have’ list to receive regular care instructions: Cayenne pepper.

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Wed. 1st September 2010 00:34

Peppers, red/green what colour should they be?

Comment from Richard Glascodine

Hi

I have lots of chillies on two of my pepper plants. Both are cayenne pepper varieties. On one of the plants the peppers are turning red and on the other they are still green. As an experiment I decided to see what they tasted like. (Sorry, please bare with me!) To cut a long story short I ate a red one and a green one and the one that wasn't ripe (the green one) was the hottest. I like my chillies hot. Is this the case that as a chillie ripens it loses its hotness. The red one did taste the sweetest though. any help is greatly appreciated.

• Posted: Fri. 27th August 2010 20:36

Pinching out - or not?

Comment from lynnep

Can anyone help me? I never know which young plants need pinching out to increase bushiness, and have sometimes had disasters by doing it (eg pinching out one of my daughter's Cosmos to show her how to do it, only to find that it grew to have just one flower on, whilst all the others bushed out beautifully!) I want to sell these plants for a greyhound rescue charity, so need to get them as chunky as possible, as quickly as possible. Can you tell me if sweet williams, pansies or wallflowers are best left alone, or pinched out, and if so what stage should it be done by? Good advice could help Greyhound Gap to get a hound into a home.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the non-plant images,
Lynne

• Posted: Mon. 16th August 2010 14:19