OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "sweet"

Re: sweet williams

Message from Kathy C

In forum: Container gardening

Hi, Annie,
Sweet William, though perennial, are usually treated as annuals because they are tender, and tend to be short-lived. Since they are straggly, make sure they are deadheaded and try cutting them back to a node (growing point) and putting them in a sheltered, sunny spot. Not sure where you live, but if you have mild winters, they might survive and come back nicely next year.
Kathy C

• Posted: Wed. 11th August 2010 17:41

sweet williams

Question from Annie

In forum: Container gardening

My sweet williams are looking rather straggly, they have flowered well this year and I wanted to know if they can be transplanted in the autumn or as thay are so messy, do I need to renew them in the autumn.

• Posted: Tue. 10th August 2010 11:40

Re: Plant Identification

Message from Katy Elton

In forum: Identify a plant

Hi Bill,

What a lovely splash of colour. It’s difficult to determine the height from this photo – could you give us a rough measurement? It looks like it could be a type of Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William). http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/search?offset=0&q=dianthus barbatus. I’m not sure of the variety, I’ll search further and let you know if I find anything!

Regards
Katy

• Posted: Thu. 1st July 2010 13:54

Problems with loo rolls

Message from Laura Thomas

In forum: Edible gardening

Hi Jack

I think it could be down to the loo rolls. Last year I planted in loo rolls - sweet peas which went very leggy and runner beans which did not even shoot. This year have sown into pots with much greater success.

Loo rolls go a bit mouldy and soil compacted - search shoot forum posts for others who have had loo roll problems.

Laura

p.s. what compost are you growing them in?

• Posted: Mon. 10th May 2010 14:17

Linaria " Little Sweeties "

Question from William Stewart

In forum: Linaria maroccana 'Little Sweeties'

I have growing in my greenhouse some Linaria "Little Sweetie " Seeds, I grew these from scratch, however I am concerned about whether I should have considered pricking out these tiny things, the problem I see is that even as well established shoots they seem far too delicate to touch and the leaves are so tiny that when you attempt to remove any the whole stem collapses, So do I just leave them to continue to grow or not, I have managed to repot some plugs but not sure if I should just simply plant them in the garden now, Please help...?

• Posted: Tue. 4th May 2010 10:11

mystery plant #2

Message from Kathy C

Hi, Kevin,
I am pretty certain this is Buttercup - probably Ranunculus repens. Considered a weed by some, but such a sweet flower. We used to hold them to our chins as children to see if our chin looked yellow (from the yellow colour reflecting off our chin) - if it did, you definitely like butter! We always did!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Sat. 1st May 2010 23:11

Re 'where to start seeds off" 28 Feb

Comment from jean lamb

After my question about seeds in unheated greenhouse - all my brassicas frizzled! The leeks liked the heat and surprisingly lettuce faired quite well - iceberg and little gem - rocket is struggling and a tray of cut n' cum again spicy leaves have frizzled in the heat too! Safari beans and sweetcorn are coming through now. I've planted toms as the seedlings got very leggy grown at home. ! fruit has set!!! I've resorted to buying brassica plants-any grown outside get eaten. How does one grow them from seed? I'm trying not to use chemicals including slug pellets!
Ever hopeful
Jean

• Posted: Fri. 30th April 2010 23:34

Stump Solutions.

Message from Matt Nichol

In forum: Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

Hi Val,

This is a curious request since most tree stumps we come across people actually want to hide or remove from sight. We would normally advise having the stump ground out and a new plant/ feature put in it's place or planting around the stump with larger plants to hide the stump away. If you wanted to do this a clump of three evergreens around the stump would be ideal and would still allow for the under planting you already have. Azalea 'Geisha Purple' would be colourful and not too tall. Skimmia 'Rubella' would be larger for winter interest. Some Camellias would give a huge impact in a few years time!

If you wish to have the stump as a feature, I suggest that you could place a bird bath on the stump to great effect. You could put some hazel/ bamboo canes over the stump and grow sweet peas or a more permanent climber like Clematis viticella up them. You could even place a small sculpture/ statue on the stump as a feature (something cheeky perhaps, elf or something sitting on the edge) not too valuable if in the front garden!

Happy gardening!

Matt Nichol MSGD
http://www.broadviewgardendesign.co.uk
http://www.sgd.org.uk
twitter:@bvgardendesign

• Posted: Thu. 15th April 2010 18:31

Any idea what this weird snake's head like thing is?

Question from Stu

Hi,

Anyone know what this plant is? See pic

We've just moved into a new house and have no idea what this could be. It's just started to push through with spring coming a bit late in the UK, and it kind looks like a black snakes head!

Because there's so many of them, I snipped one open to reveal what kinda looked like sweet corn inside the tip?

I wonder if I'm being thrown off the scent of what it could be because it could be frost damaged through a harsh cold winter?

Any ideas?

• Posted: Wed. 17th March 2010 15:57

Climbing plant suggestions

Message from Katy Elton

In forum: General

Hello,

I'm guessing you want a hardy, fairly fast growing plant that will give you quick results whilst being interesting for the children. Some initial suggestions are:

Lonicera copper beauty - a hardy, fast growing, evergreen honeysuckle, with deep yellow sweetly fragrant flowers and bronze foliage.

Akebia quinata - a hardy, fast growing, semi-evergreen climber with lovely dark purple vanilla scented flowers which are sometimes followed by sausage shaped fruits. This is an unusual plant also known as 'chocolate vine' (may be fun and appealing to the children).

Clematis cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles' - a hardy, fast growing, evergreen clematis, which bears maroon and cream speckled flowers over winter (which may be more appropriate for a school rather than one which flowers in summer when the children are all on holiday?).

Passiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliott' - a tough, relatively hardy, fast growing passion flower with large, interesting exotic looking flowers. Sometimes forms large orange fruits too.

The above are hardy within reason - how exposed is your site and whereabouts are you geographically? The passion flower in particular would struggle in a frosty, exposed site.

Cont. below...

• Posted: Thu. 4th March 2010 16:04

Allotment

Message from Marissa Zoppellini

In forum: Allotments

Hi, congratulations! I was very lucky and got my allotment within weeks of asking and it is on my doorstep. I got it just before the growing season was about to start and had loads of rubbish and weeds to clear like yourselves. I am just starting my third year and it is still not completely developed but I can see the improvement year on year - my highlights were potatoes, tomatoes beans and strawberries last year with many disappointments too - raspberries, peas and sweetcorn all suffering from a combination of late sowing or lack of water. My advice would be don't be too ambitious, enjoy your successes and expect (and learn from) your failures. All the best, look forward to seeing your progress.
Marissa

• Posted: Sun. 28th February 2010 17:19

Sweet pepper 'Redskin'

Photo from Sharon Cook

In forum: Capsicum annuum 'Redskin'

Following my previous post, this is the current set up for the plant, but normally it is closed/tied shut to protect it.

• Posted: Sat. 14th November 2009 13:39

Sweet pepper 'Redskin'

Question from Sharon Cook

In forum: Capsicum annuum 'Redskin'

We have a problem with our pepper plant in that there is mould both black on the leaves, and a beige fur on the stalks. Although it is still producing fruit, the fruit is now getting small black spots on them. What can be done to eradicate this? It is on the west aspect of the garden and is under a plastic 'home made' cover with stakes to keep it away from the plant. Can the plant be trimmed to remove the bad parts to prevent the whole plant being infected?

• Posted: Sat. 14th November 2009 13:36

Hits and Misses!

Comment from Wendy

Hi folks
Well the year started out optimistically with lots of seeds sown and germinated. Successes include beetroot, tomatoes, sweetcorn and many others but I grew potatoes in sacks this year and can't say I'll bother again. I think I got no more a dozen potatoes! I'll stick to growing them in the ground in future.

I also grew Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud' and got carried away with the amount of seedlings (somewhere around the 50 mark were grown)! However, they weren't wasted as each year, local gardens open up to the public in aid of a charity so they were donated to the worthy cause.

Would love to hear about anyone elses hits and misses?

All the best Wendy.

PS: Spent a fortune this afternoon on seeds for next year!!

• Posted: Sun. 4th October 2009 19:11

Autumn harvest

Message from Wendy

Just wondered how everyone's got on and what plans anyone has for planting winter veg?

Have spent this week making red tomato chutney from the vast quantities of cherry tomatoes grown in our greenhouse and boiling beetroot which tastes sweet and delicious. I think I'll pickle some for over winter as well. The rhubarb is not so prolific now but the sweetcorn is ready any day.

Best wishes, Wendy

• Posted: Fri. 25th September 2009 10:40

Got it!

Message from Stephen Middleton

This is definitely the flower. Now I'll have a look to see if I can trace the cultivar or whether it is the species. The colour is purple whereas a lot of the other pictures show a pink flower.

I have just crushed a leaf. I'm not good on smells, but I would say that it smells like a sweet sage.

Thanks a million.

• Posted: Tue. 15th September 2009 17:35

Cimicifuga 'Brunette'

Comment from CD

In forum: Actaea simplex (Atropurpurea Group) 'Brunette'

I agree , my plant is very happy in a fairly shady north facing spot. It's intense scent is rarely mentioned in plant listings. It always reminds me of childhood sweets, a little like sherbet (or lemon Cremola Foam which will be best remembered by Scottish readers from the 70's/80's).

• Posted: Sat. 29th August 2009 23:22

Great harvest

Message from Wendy

Hi Georgie
I've had a great year so far and have grown a lot of veg that I've not grown before. Each success really gives you confidence to try something new. My broadbeans and peas have been great; radish, salad leaves, lettuce and spring onions are planted successionaly as with parsley and coriander and have cost me very little to grow compared to buying them at supermarket prices (plus they taste far more superior). I am now waiting for potatoes, beetroot, calebrese, squash and sweetcorn to mature outside and in the greenhouse I have aubergine and chillis fruiting up nicely and the sweetest cherry tomatoes.

I look forward to hearing about everyone elses crop successes and any recommendations.

Best wishes,
Wendy K.

• Posted: Mon. 27th July 2009 14:24

West Dean's Chilli Fiesta

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Events & Gardens to visit

8th & 9th August 2009
West Dean Gardens
Near Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0QZ
www.westdean.org.uk

This cult event has been running since 1995 and brings devoted chilli fanatics from all over the world, creating a very special hotspot among the nation's food events.

300 chillies and sweet peppers on display in the immaculate glasshouses come in all shapes, sizes and colours; including the hottest chilli in the world: Naga Jolokia, also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chilli or California Death Pepper. This was confirmed by Guinness World Records in 2007 to be the hottest chili in the world, replacing the Red Savina.

Admission to the Chilli Fiesta is £7.25 for adults plus concessions. The event is open between 10.30am and 5pm.

• Posted: Thu. 25th June 2009 10:20

Rosa 'Fragrant Memories'

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Rosa 'Fragrant Memories'

The pure-white flowers are packed with petals and a sweet fragrance.

• Posted: Tue. 16th June 2009 13:34