OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "sweet"

Rosa 'Roseraie de l'Hay'

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Rosa 'Roseraie de l'Hay'

Among the hardiest of all roses, this rugosa-type shrub bears magenta-purple blooms filled with a very strong, sweet fragrance. It's long blooming and wonderfully disease resistant, too.

• Posted: Tue. 16th June 2009 13:32

Rosa 'Madame Alfred Carrière'

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Rosa 'Madame Alfred Carrière'

An old-rose classic, this climbing rose was born in 1879 and features pink-blushed white flowers with a strong spicy-sweet scent. It bears a continuous supply of blooms and is perfect for clothing a wall or pergola (especially since it bears fewer thorns than most roses).

• Posted: Tue. 16th June 2009 13:28

Rosa 'Heritage'

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Rosa 'Heritage'

An outstanding English rose, Heritage bears petal-filled soft-pink blooms that smell of sweet lemons. Many gardeners appreciate that it has fewer (at least than most roses) thorns on its canes and good disease resistance.

• Posted: Tue. 16th June 2009 13:25

Filipendula ulmaria

Comment from Miriam Mesa-Villalba

In forum: Filipendula ulmaria

In summer, it has a wonderful mass of creamy-white fragrant flowers arranged in dense, foamy clusters above the leaves. The oval, ridged seeds smell rather less pleasant and this has earned it an alternative colloquial - and a little cyncial - name of 'courtship and matrimony'. Other common and older English names for this plant include meadsweet and meadwort. These suggest that the flowers of this plant were once used to flavour alcoholic drinks.

• Posted: Mon. 8th June 2009 13:05

Wildlife friends & foes

Message from Laura Thomas

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

Hi Georgie

Never have amphibians as my pond is in central london walled garden but lots of creepy crawlies in it. Wrens, robins, tits, greenfinches, blackbirds and even the Great Spotted woodpecker come for a regular drink and a bathe.

Mostly bumble bees on the foxgloves, aquilegias & cranesbill geraniums and flowering herbs (thyme, Sweet Cecily) as well as hoverflies which also seem to like the variegated yellow euphorbias and the privet.

Innundated with greenfly and blackfly but these have been held in check by a 'plague' of Harlequin ladybirds (see nymphs in pic). Alas no native ladybirds.

Have also had to dispose of a few Lily beetle and Rosemary beetle which seems to prefer the Sage.

Swarms of Painted Lady butterflies have moved into the South East and thought I saw a couple the other day. Like you, waiting for Buddleia to flowers to lure them in.

Laura

• Posted: Sun. 7th June 2009 14:26

Scented shrubs

Message from Otto

In forum: General

I would add to the above lists Sarcoccoca confusa (sweet box), which is a small evergreen winter flowering shrub. The flowers are insignificant but smell lovely in late winter.

• Posted: Sat. 6th June 2009 19:39

Scented plants

Message from Georgie

Hi Hugh

I'm a huge fan of scented plants and here's a list of my current favourites.

Hesperis (Sweet Rocket)
Oriental Lilies
Sweet Peas
Helitrope
Scented Pelargoniums
Lavender
Rosemary
Lonicera (Honeysuckle)
Nicotiana
Evening Primrose
Pittosporum tobira
Jasmine

Hope that gives you a few ideas. Do let us know what you decide to grow.

Georgie

• Posted: Sat. 6th June 2009 17:52

got it!

Message from donal flynn

In forum: Identify a plant

Thank you everybody who replied. Yes it is Hesperis - sweet rocket. We didn't realise it scented only in the evening but we just checked and it is very sweet indeed!.

• Posted: Thu. 28th May 2009 21:23

Sweet Rocket?

Comment from Fi

In forum: Identify a plant

Hi Donal, I wonder if it's Hesperis (Sweet Rocket) - does it have a wonderful scent?
Mine is in flower just now, lovely next to the bench.
Fi

• Posted: Tue. 26th May 2009 17:23

Hesperis matronalis

In forum: Hesperis matronalis var. albiflora

White and orange-tip butterflies are drawn to the massed white or lilac flowers, which give off a strong scent in the evening, and so also attract moths.In the popular 'language of flowers' sweet rocket was taken to portray deceit, because, whilst it gave out a lovely perfume in the evening, during the day-time there was none. This fact is also reflected in the ancient name of Hesperis, or Vesper flower, vespers being the evening church service.

• Posted: Wed. 20th May 2009 19:00

This plant is featured at Chelsea Flower Show 2009

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts'

Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts' (Sweet gum 'Lane Roberts') has been used in The HESCO Garden by Leeds City Council for Chelsea Flower Show 2009.

• Posted: Sun. 17th May 2009 11:59

This plant is featured at Chelsea Flower Show 2009

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Filipendula rubra 'Venusta'

Filipendula rubra 'Venusta' (Meadowsweet 'Venusta') has been used in The HESCO Garden by Leeds City Council for Chelsea Flower Show 2009.

• Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 08:58

Sambucus nigra

In forum: Sambucus nigra

Its sweetly-scented flat panicles of flowers make excellent wine, tea and cordial and they are also delicious deep fried.Left on the plant, the flowers produce masses of small black fruits in autumn. These are rich in vitamin C. They are a favourite food of birds, including various warblers, but can also be made into jam and wine. Elder is resistant to rabbit-grazing and it provides nesting opportunities for blackbirds, song thrushes, chaffinches and bullfinches.

• Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 07:53

Castanea sativa

In forum: Castanea sativa

The brown nuts form inside green husks that look a little like spiny hedgehogs. Sweet chestnut is a beautiful tree but too large for most modern gardens. Chestnuts are commonly eaten around Christmas either roasted or as a stuffing.

• Posted: Fri. 15th May 2009 07:41

My new veggie plot aka 'allotment'

Photo from Fi

In forum: Allotments

Here's a pic of my new 'allotment' at the top of my garden - okay so I have access to a kettle, toilet etc but it's still bliming hard work!
Two little raised beds have brassicas, and salad respectively, large has peas, mange touts, sweet peas and herbs, nearest has runner beans seedlings and seeds planted. Unraised has Charlotte potatoes - yummy salad pots (try to grow the most expensive items to save money). Left of pic has fruit 'aisle' - raspberry canes, blueberry, blackcurrant, rhubarb (tiny yet), James Grieve apple, backed by Greengage trees, loganberries and blackberries. and a little trough of strawberries. Howzat!
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 24th April 2009 21:45

Cherry Pie

Message from Fi

In forum: Heliotropium arborescens 'Marine'

Hi Georgie, did you know this was an old victorian plant they used to call cherry pie? Due to its scent, it's lovely honey sweet. It seems to have come back into fashion as I found lots of little plants in my local nursery and will go back and get some I think. It was a choice between Lemon Verbena, a nostalgic smell from childhood, or Heliotrope - lv won this time, planted next to my bench!
Have you got a pic of your Fuschia by the way?
Fi

• Posted: Mon. 20th April 2009 21:18

Failed! Tomato and Sweet Pepper seeds

Comment from Fi

In forum: Edible gardening

My tomato and sweet pepper seeds have failed to germinate - tried to keep them warm but nothing to show after 2 weeks.
Any tips would be appreciated - imagine they've rotted by now.
Sad Fi

• Posted: Sun. 12th April 2009 21:23

Had a little break ...

Message from Fi

In forum: Edible gardening

Hi Georgie
I've had a lovely little break in North Norfolk for a few days, and have come back to the tallest runner bean and sweet pea seedlings ever! Left them on the draining board on wet newspaper and they've truly romped. It was beautiful in Norfolk, cottage with a mill stream and lots of wild flowers and birds, especially goldfinches. Also Avocets, Egyptian geese etc on the saltmarshes - now where was that veg plot?
F x

• Posted: Sat. 11th April 2009 22:53

Loo rolls

Message from Laura Thomas

Hi Georgie

thanks for the info - I suspected that root training was another gardening 'fad' but I have given it a go as part of my recycling commitment LOL.

Have both sweet peas (blushing bride) and runner beans (out of date scarlet emperor) in their loo rolls. If they do not germinate well or go too leggy that still leaves me time to pot more seeds up or plant them directly later on this month.

One final point - loo rolls are very fiddly to fill with potting compost and there are obviously easier ways to grow seeds.

Laura

• Posted: Mon. 6th April 2009 12:50

Root trainers

Message from Georgie

Hi Laura, me again! LOL

I've tried both loo rolls and root trainers for Sweet Peas and to be frank I was not impressed. The problem I had was that they seemed to get 'leggy' quickly and there was no way to 'earth them up' so to speak. These days I either plant a few seeds to a 9cm pot and plant the whole lot out where I want them to grow or sow direct. And Beans I always sow direct towards the middle/end April - I see no point in starting them off in modules. Just my opnion of course.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 5th April 2009 16:16