OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "sweet"

Root trainers

Question from Laura Thomas

In forum: General

Has anyone used proprietary root training systems or even the bog-standard loo roll version?!

I have sweet peas and runner beans which I am preparing to plant into cardboard tubes as my first trial.

In the past, I just planted seeds as normal and have not had problems but the current trend seems to be root trainers for peas and beans.

I would appreciate some feedback on various systems that others have used.

many thanks

Laura

• Posted: Sun. 5th April 2009 12:03

Mange Tout 'Shoots'

Comment from Fi

In forum: Edible gardening

Hi all, so excited that my mange tout have started shooting in the last couple of days, plus one sweet pea! No sign yet of runner beans or peas, tomatoes or peppers - hope these just take longer. They're all on the kitchen window sill.
Baited breath now hoping they don't 'damp off' always being warned about in Gardeners World mag!
How are yours doing?
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 3rd April 2009 11:13

Thanks for the chin up

Message from Fi

Thanks - felt a bit stupid to say the least.
But now .... went to check the few seeds I have entrusted to it to find they are bone dry! Must be getting very warm, good job I've kept the rest on the window sill!
BTW mange tout and sweet peas emerging after 4 days!!
Fi x

• Posted: Thu. 2nd April 2009 22:24

'Borrowing' your tips

Message from Fi

In forum: Allotments

Hi Jo
I'm going to confess that I am borrowing the tips you've had - hope neither of you mind!
I don't have an allotment, but have started digging out an area of about 20 sq m at the top of my garden. I've made one large bed, taking half of it, using wooden boards to keep it separate from the paths. This is for runners, peas, mange tout, and tomatoes I think. I have quarter of the plot in semi shade for my potatoes (Charlotte - chitted in the kitchen), and two 1 sq m link a bords (let you know how they do Jo) for herbs, lettuce and the other for brassicas after the early salads have been eaten. Got to try to find room for carrots too.
I'm also planning on growing sweet peppers and chillis, but think I'll do these in pots on the sunny patio. So lots of work to do for me too!
I lost my first lots of seed planting in the gales, so starting again when I can get myself off here.
Will follow your progress.
Fi

• Posted: Fri. 27th March 2009 11:05

Gardening for wildlife

Message from David Sewell

In forum: Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

Hello Georgie,

You have a good theory there. In my experience wildlife tends to go for the easiest most available food sources first and then work their way down to the hardest. For example I've seen bumblebees chewing into the side of sweet pea flowers to gain access - you can bet they wouldn't be doing that if they had something easier to go at.
So I think that your collection of species will still be utilised in the end.

What I do wonder if whether you could contact your local wildlife group and find out what species ARE definitely in your area and then tailor your efforts accordingly.
For example we are just working out the Higher Level Stewardship Scheme applications for my wifes parents farm and one of the species we've identified as being in the area is Tree Sparrow. This means that we are specifically tailoring our efforts towards attracting this species (as well as doing other thing!)

So maybe you could grow fewer species which you know are going to sustain specific wildlife rather then a 'scattergun' approach. Just a thought!

All best wishes and keep up the good work.

David
David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk
http://www.landscaper.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 13:23

Help is at hand

Message from Andrew Tomes

1) Scrap, wash and brush the walls. New paint.
2) Make a few trellises out of tile batten. 25p per metre or have a word with a roofer. My Photo shows whats possible.
2b) Plant with sweetpea or bright coloured ivy for shade.
3) Take up an small area of the paving and spread decorative shingle.
4) Seek out some bamboo. Many gardeners have to clear the suckers from recently planted areas as they are so invasive. Phone a couple to see if they are throwing some away. Plant in some large tubs/pots strategically placed.
5) Sand pit
Transformed.......

Andrew Tomes

Bell Gardens Ltd Garden Design and Construction
www.bellgardensltd.co.uk
161 Heene Road Worthing West Sussex
BN11 4NY
01903 241687

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 12:02

Climbers for pergolas

Comment from David Sewell

Hi Debbie,

There are lots of scented climbers including quite a few useful evergreen ones. Have a look at:
Lonicera japonica cultivars like 'Halliana'
Clematis armandii
Jasminum officinale
Trachelospermum jasminoides
Wisteria sinensis (particularly 'alba')
Lots of climbing roses
Clematis Montana
Akebia quinata (has a vanilla scent)
Lathyrus odoratus (sweet pea)
Lonicera heckrottii

All best,
David
David Sewell NCH, NDH
http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk
http://www.landscaper.org.uk

• Posted: Sat. 21st March 2009 10:38

Peas

Message from Joanne 9919

In forum: Container gardening

Hi Mand,

I grow my peas in a large container, it doesn't have to be too deep. I usually plant around nine or ten plants in the one container and the harvest does me for a few meals.

There are varieties which you can buy especially for growing in containers, however, I have heard that they don't crop as well as the normal varieties. I usually grow Early Onward and they have always done well for me.

As for radishes, their seeds are quite large so you can sow them individually spacing them as required. I have even grown the round variety in a seed tray and they have grown well, so you don't need a huge pot for them.

I would say try growing anything that you enjoy eating. I didn't know if sweetcorn would grow in containers, but they were fantastic!

Let us know what you are going to try and how you get on.

Jo.

• Posted: Wed. 18th March 2009 12:00

Tomato Varieties

Comment from Joanne 9919

In forum: Edible gardening

I sowed my tomato seed yesterday.

This year I am trying some new varieties as well as some I have grown before.

I am only growing one salad tomato which is Ferline, I haven't grown this before. The rest are all cherry tomatoes as we tend to eat more of these than the salad type. I'm growing Sungold and Gardener's Delight, both of which I have grown before and Sweet Million which I haven't grown before. I'm also growing Micro Tomato which Georgie kindly sent me some seeds to try.

Which tomato varieties are you growing this year?

Jo.

• Posted: Mon. 16th March 2009 07:49

Kate & Dannys garden - looking for inspiration

Question from Kate

We have moved to an end of terrace house with a big walled garden in london, it's 8.5m wide and 14m long with a garage at the end, adjacent to the street. It is a blank canvas without a single plant. Poor top soil, clay sub soil. Good exposure from the south and west, bathed in sunlight from mid morning to evening. We have a two year old and another baby on the way, so we want a family space, with lawn, low maintenance, natural looking planting and a herb garden. We are having a rear extension built with 5m wide sliding glass doors opening onto the garden. We would like a patio, possibly two, and we might include a little play house/shed for the kids. We would like to plant a tree, possibly an apple or cherry, something that blossoms and gives shade and character to the garden. We are on quite a tight budget, having spent money on the house so can't afford major landscaping. A good sized lawn for energetic toddlers is a must. On the SW street side there is a 6ft brick wall which we would like to raise with tight trellising to give more privacy hopefully covered with climbers. We would appreciate any suggestions on to how to structure the space and also what to plant where, given the conditions we have described. Plants we like: plumbego, sweet peas, clematis, passion flower, bougainvilla, hydrangea among others

• Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 22:00

Wintersweet

Message from Kathy C

Wow, I'm surprised. I used to live on the east coast of the US where snow and freezing conditions (including frozen ground) is the norm during the winter and both Chimonanthus and Corylopsis faired well. How far north are you?

• Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 23:42

Gorgeous Corylopsis

Message from Kathy C

Love, love, love Corylopsis! I used to have a C. spicata many gardens ago and was always rewarded with gorgeous yellow tassles in late winter. Yours is equally delightful and makes me realise how much I miss my winter garden! Have you ever tried Chimonanthus praecox (Wintersweet)? It's another winter/early spring bloomer with pale yellow, sometimes translucent blooms and a strong, sweet fragrance. Thanks for posting!
Kathy C.

• Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 20:53

Narcissus

Message from Joanne 9919

Lovely photo Georgie.

I'm the same as you, I never pick flowers from the garden, apart from Sweet Peas.

I'm already planning a cut-flower bed though for when I get my allotment. I'm going to plant loads of Daffs and Tulips, as I think they look lovely indoors in spring, they really cheer you up.

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 22:25

Narcissus

Message from Georgie

Oh Lorna I never pick my flowers (apart from Sweet Peas to keep them coming) because they last so much longer in the garden. If I had the luxury of an allotment/huge garden it would be a different matter I guess.

Georgie

• Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 15:03

veg in containers

Message from Lynn Franklin

I'm chitting Charlotte and Nicola, I tried Charlotte last year in the ground, but lost them to wilt. So second time lucky. It's making me wonder now about carrots, I was hoping they would grow ok, now not so sure. Never thought about sweetcorn, might just have to give that a go instead.

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 14:20

Veg in containers

Message from Joanne 9919

Hi Lynn,

I will be growing very similar things to you.

I am definitely growing tomatoes, salads, sweet peppers and potatoes, but I'm giving the runner beans a miss this year. I'm also definitely growing sweetcorn and spring onions.

I can't make my mind up about carrots yet. I failed with carrots two years ago, and last year they were ok but not fantastic. I might give them another go if I have the space.

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 7th March 2009 08:53

veg in containers

Message from Lynn Franklin

I will be growing runner beans and tomatoes definately, also salads and sweet peppers, I might try a few carrots too, and I will be doing the potatoes in the old compost bags

• Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 20:28

Hostas - are they alive?

Question from Laura Thomas

In forum: Hosta 'So Sweet'

I have 2 hostas (So Sweet) in pots which died back over winter but there is still no sign of growth on them yet. Is it too early or have they died?

My 'Jack Frost' Brunnera is just putting up leaves so had expected to see something from the hostas.

Would appreciate some advice

thanks -
Laura

• Posted: Fri. 6th March 2009 19:34

Green With Envy

Message from Joanne 9919

In forum: New to gardening

Hi Ann,

OK, given my nosey parker nature I've just got to ask......what are you planning to plant? I know I should wait until the 25th, when I'm sure you will give us a progress report, but I want to know now, lol.

Can't wait to see what you are going to grow up your pergola.

As for adding edibles to your flower beds, this will work for sure. If you let me know what veg you intend planting, I can probably let you have some seeds. I grow mine in containers, and as there are usually loads of seeds in a packet, I end up with loads left over.

Yes, sweetcorn is absolutely fab when it's home grown, but you would need to leave a block to plant this. Even though mine is grown in containers, they are positioned right next to each other as sweetcorn is wind polinated, therefore, block planting (i.e. a block of 9, a block of 16, a block of 25, does this make sense?) is recommended.

One thing I would certainly recommend is Strawberries. I started off with a few plants last year, but have added to these this year. Again, mine are in containers, but you could definitely dot these around your flowers.

Jo.

• Posted: Thu. 5th March 2009 18:10

Green with Envy

Message from Ann

In forum: New to gardening

Thanks Georgie but I think I'm the envious one, your garden is fantastic and you must have worked so hard - but I am lucky to have an 'easy' space to deal with. Photo instructions were great - I felt like I had really achieved something!

I have never grown any veg but might well have a go at putting some veg plants in amongst my flowers in the borders until they fill out and am busily researching companion planting. (I wish that meant that someone came and kept you company and gave you hand - he he!)

I saw that Jo had grown some sweetcorn and I would love to try that. Pots would be a problem because my patio is full of plants waiting to go in the beds and there is not a container within miles that I have not used/begged/borrowed.

I am going to be keeping my eyes 'peeled' for any good edible tips.

Hope you too have some sunshine today!

Ann

• Posted: Thu. 5th March 2009 16:40