OK
In progress indicator

Search Results for "sweet"

Crops in Pots

Message from Joanne 9919

In forum: Container gardening

Hi Nicola,

The biggest piece of advice I could give when growing veg in containers is to water well! Containers dry out much quicker than the ground does and plants do suffer if they don't have sufficient water.

I would also advise to give anything a go. When I started container gardening I never envisaged growing sweetcorn, however, I thought I would give it a go. For the past two years I have planted up six containers, two plants into one container, slightly larger than an average bucket and I have had a great harvest. Each plant produces, on average, two cobs, and until you have tasted your own sweetcorn you haven't lived! Apparently, after sweetcorn is picked the sugars turn rapidly into starch so the faster it is cooked after harvesting, the sweeter it is. Therefore, by growing your own, you can have a pan of boiling water on the go whilst you are harvesting, yum!

I also decided to have a go at growing runner beans in containers. I planted up three containers, again the containers were slightly larger than an average bucket, and planted three plants in each container. In each container I placed a cane and then tied the three canes at the top to make a wigwam. The plants romped up the canes and again I got a huge crop. If you keep picking them regularly the plants produce more.

Alot of the seed suppliers advertise seeds especially for growing in containers. I thought I would give one of these a go and bought some Hestia runner beans. Yes, they were ideal for a container as they didn't grow to the heights which usual varieties do, however, you don't get half the crop. I haven't tried any of the other veg which are recommended for containers, but based on my own experience I would say get the variety you fancy and give them a go.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken any photos of my veg, however, if anyone is interested in seeing this years crops I will gladly dust off the camera and post some pics. Let me know!!!

Jo.

• Posted: Sat. 28th February 2009 21:06

Veg In Containers?

Comment from Joanne 9919

In forum: Container gardening

Does anyone grow vegetables in containers?

I've been using containers to grow my veg for the past two years and have had great success.

I have found that you can grow most things in containers. I have grown, peas, beans, salad crops, potatoes, sweetcorn, tomatoes etc.

I like to try new things, so i'm going to have a go at aubergines this year.

I'd love to hear about your successes!

Jo.

• Posted: Fri. 27th February 2009 19:37

Have you started any seeds off yet?

Comment from Joanne 9919

In forum: Edible gardening

Just wondering when everyone starts off their seeds?

I have sown some sweet pepper and aubergine seeds already, mainly because these need a long growing season.

I will be sowing the majority of my seeds in March when the weather has warmed up a little.

Jo.

• Posted: Sun. 22nd February 2009 10:15

Poisonous berries?

Question from Frank Sharpy

In forum: Sarcococca humilis

I am trying to find out if the fruit of Sweet box (Sarcococca humilis) is
poisonous to pets?

• Posted: Mon. 2nd February 2009 17:52

Caterpillars

Message from Eric Martin

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

Definitely Cabbage White. Keep an eye on them when the butterflys are around and when the eggs hatch you will find a a leaf with loads of caterpillars on. Take the leaf off and throw it away before they spread round the rest of the plant. Even better catch them at egg stage. Clusters of bright orange eggs on the underneath of the leaves. By the way, try eating one of the flowers. They are amazing. First you get the sweetness of the nectar and then a really hot tang like chilli. They are perfectly safe to eat and a good conversation topic if mixed with salads!
Eric

• Posted: Fri. 19th December 2008 14:46

Companion planting

Message from Martin Gale (windygale)

In forum: Green gardening

Hi Renee, welcome to the site,
can i ask what course your doing, as i'm doing the RHS-G2 by with LC,

Anyway as you know the meaning of companion planting can be used in many way and for many reasons, shading plants, deturing pest, giving colour and texture to the planting of pots or boarder plan,

on my allotment when growing vegetable, i plant onions and carrots side by side to stop carrot root fly and onion fly,
tagets aroung my beans to slowdown aphids,
i grow sweetpeas next to my beans and peas to encourage insects to polinated my flowers on my beans and peas,

if you wish more help (i may beable to) let me know, i can give (send) nicola (boss of this site) my e-mail add for you to contact me, and allowing nicola can send it to you,
so that our e-mail addresses will are not widly known,

hope this helps
windy

• Posted: Sat. 13th December 2008 16:10

Too good to be true??

Message from Kathy C

In forum: Ornamental plants

Hi, Georgie
I think you are right to be wary of a totally slug resistant hosta. Given the choice, slugs will probably tend to steer clear of thicker, ribbed and slightly hairy hosta leaves (like those you mentioned) as these are harder to munch through and go straight for smoother, thinner, variegated leaves. Having said that, if there is nothing else around, I would bet they would go for what was available no matter how thick and bumpy the leaves were! Apparently, there is a trial in progress at Capel Manor in Enfield, London to test just how slug resistant some cultivars really are - they have an open day 15 Nov so you can check it out. Results should be available next year but I don't know when. There was at trial done in Texas in 1999 and 'Big Daddy' and 'Invincible' were included. They didn't do as well as others - 'So Sweet', 'Sugar & Cream', 'Blue Angel', 'Blue Cadet' and 'Royal Standard' came out on top. Here's the link so you can see the full report http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/hosta/hosta99results.html
The same group did trials in 1998 and 2000 with similar results.
Hope this is somewhat useful and please let me know how you get on. Any chance you are near Capel and can make a trip?
Kathy C.

• Posted: Fri. 17th October 2008 20:56

Wintersweet (Chimonanthus praecox var. luteus)

Question from paula hewitt

In forum: New to gardening

Me again!

My wintersweet is now 5ft tall, can i expect it to flower this winter? It is threeyears old and hasn't flowered yet maybe as it wasnt happy where it was before, i transplanted it last summer and it hs shot up. I feed every 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Paula

• Posted: Sun. 10th August 2008 16:09

fly description

Message from Cris

In forum: Zamioculcas zamiifolia

Hi there,
Are the flies white or balack or green, tiny or big (like a house fly)? ZZ plants aren't generally associated with flies. I have had one growing in my kitchen for 2 years now and have not ever seen any bugs on it. Maybe there were eggs/larvae in your soil when you purchased your plant. In some plant stores this may happen as many plants of different varieties are stored on shelves closely together. Has any liquid with sugar (juice or coffe with sweetener in it) been poured in the compost without you realizing? This may be attracting flies.
You could get a product that is basically a sticky piece of paper hung on a stick that you place in the soil. This will catch the flies. If the problem persists you may need to change your potting compost.

• Posted: Fri. 23rd May 2008 14:38

Attracting Butterflies and Moths

General post from Georgie

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

I'm always looking for new ways to attract these beautiful creatures into my small city garden. I already have Ivy, Lavenders, Honesty, Pansies, Primroses, Verbena Bonariensis, Sweet Rocket, Buddleia, Daisies, Sedum, Oregano and Thyme and this year I'm adding Cuckooflower, Garlic Mustard and Lady's Bedstraw. I draw the line at Dandelions and Nettles (sorry) and Buckthorn, Hop and Holly are out of the question. I can't let my lawn path 'go wild' so I'm going to sow some grass seed in an old window box which is about 60cmx15cm in the hope of encouraging some to breed. I'd be interested to hear what other ideas members have found successful.

• Posted: Sun. 6th April 2008 20:23

Enter a title

Message from Palustris Catz

In forum: Edible gardening

They turn yellowish and begin to smell very sweetly of quince. It is a bit hard to tell because they never really go soft and some types stay light green. I would say that ours here in a cold part of the West Midlands are just about ready to use.

• Posted: Sat. 15th September 2007 11:01