OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Anyone know what typr of plant this is?

Photo from Dale Vaincourt

In forum: Identify a plant

Was given to my aunt as a type of spider plant but the bud looks like bird of paradise and the bloom resembles an orchid.

• Views: 128
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 7th April 2020 15:06
  • Last reply: Wed. 8th April 2020 12:52

Does anyone know what this is?

Question from sara crook

Hi everyone! im new here! Does anyone know what this plant is thats growing in my dads garden?

• Views: 134
  • Posted: Mon. 6th April 2020 17:47
  • Last reply: Mon. 6th April 2020 19:55

what is this plant please?

Photo from jeannie ludlam

In forum: Gardening for wildlife

It looks at first similar to a nettle, but it does not sting.

• Views: 49
  • Posted: Mon. 6th April 2020 12:39
  • Last reply: Wed. 8th April 2020 21:38

Help! Advice on what to put in a newly designed garden

Question from Kristina Eriksson

In forum: Garden design

Hello

We have recently terraced and designed our garden and it's time to start planting. I have two big flowerbeds, a couple of smaller squares (ca 70cm x 70cm), a narrow but deep trough at height... and various pots. The soil is heavy clay/alkaline and I've mixed in sand and top soil and dug the beds through (phew), but it's still quite heavy and lumpy... I've tried to choose plants that love that sort of thing... I've included two pics, one with annotations.

Some other considerations:
1. It's a south-facing garden but uphill on a north-facing slope, so while summers can be scorching because it's very sheltered, winters are dark and sun-less (and often wet..). You'll see the extreme terracing in the pics.

2. My main concern is picking a tree - i was thinking the evergreen magnolia but eucalyptus are also meant to be great for wet soils since they drink a lot, and they're very nice, too, and evergreen. And then the question is, where does it go? I was thinking the bottom flowerbed since it's the wettest and also has the most space (the squares on the left are only ca 70cm x 70cm) but I would love to hear views.

3. I'd like to have climbers on the sides since the walls on each side are tall and bare.

Thank you so much in advance.
Kristina

• Views: 22
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 5th April 2020 12:35
  • Last reply: Sun. 5th April 2020 13:13

Help!

Comment from Navneet Sumal

Can anyone ID the light pink, red and purple flowers in this picture?

• Views: 134
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 5th April 2020 12:33
  • Last reply: Wed. 8th April 2020 06:40

Advice about planting between brick paving

Question from Lorraine Jones

In forum: General

I have an area of brick paving in my garden that the previous owner installed for parking. I don’t use it to park but can’t afford to rip it up and replace (or do it myself). At the moment it just gathers weeds.

I was hoping to put in some planting suitable to use around paving (and that would help stop the weeds coming through). The garden is north facing and doesn’t get much sun for half the year. One end of the paving gets a lot of sun in summer, the other end doesn’t.

I’m a complete garden novice, so any advice on what would be suitable would be appreciated. I’m using plants with pink, purple and white flowers in other parts of the garden, so if flowering plants are recommended, something which compliments would be ideal.

• Views: 15
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2020 19:41

BEDDING PLANT SUPPLIERS

Question from Rachel Cooper

In forum: Who can sell me a plant?

The sun has come out and I've had numerous enquiries regarding bedding plants and whether I can supply them. Does anyone know of suppliers who will be able to deliver? I'm Hertfordshire based

• Views: 82
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2020 19:25

What is this plant please?

Photo from Alison Johns

Can anyone identify this plant please?

• Views: 88
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2020 18:32
  • Last reply: Sat. 4th April 2020 21:08

what is this bush

Photo from Louise Cooper

hoping someone can identify the bush i took a picture of in a garden down my road. It grows straight (and this one wasnt very wide, which is exactly what i need for behind my sheds). If you have any suggestions for other plants that grown maybe 2 metres high and remain narrow, but dont spread, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for your help! :-)

• Views: 129
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2020 14:02
  • Last reply: Sat. 4th April 2020 21:04

Mail Order Plants

Comment from Shirley Tullett

In forum: Who can sell me a plant?

Hello
I am still dispatching mail order plants and plug plants of vegetables, although there is a 7-10 day wait for dispatch.
Please enquire as to what is available before ordering.
Shirley
www.cottagegardenseeds.co.uk

• Views: 15
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2020 14:00
  • Last reply: Sat. 4th April 2020 14:07