OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

No leaves left on my fuchsia

Question from Jill M

In forum: Pests, diseases and weeds

I have a hardy fuchsia called 'Avalanche' which is usually just that- an avalanche of flowers. This year all the leaves have been stripped from the whole plant over the course of a week. There is no sign of what is eating them but I have read about Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillars eating fuchsia leaves and I did see one of the moths a couple of years ago. Will the plant regrow after such complete defoliation? This year? Do the caterpillars only come out at night? I would hate to kill the caterpillars of such a magnificent moth but would also like to grow fuchsias. No other fuchsia in my garden is affected although 'Avalanche' is not very near any others. Any thoughts?

• Views: 1
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 20:57

What is this large shrub

Question from Wild Edge Garden Design

In forum: Identify a plant

Hi - is anyone able to ID this large shrub with variegated leaves? The stalks have a very slight red tinge to them. It is quite large (taller than 2 metres) but I'm unsure of the total height as it is currently pruned into a rectangular shape. Many thanks. Emma

• Views: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 19:06

Plant Identification

General post from Barrie Davis

In forum: General

I am unfamiliar with this fast growing plant which appears to have come in with the soil of some bought bedding plants. What have I got please?

• Views: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 12:51

What grass

Question from Lisa mcnaughton

Can anyone tell me what grass this is and is it available to buy in UK?

• Views: 20
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 10:20

Please help me identify fast growing plant in pot

Question from Michelle Gandalal

I transplanted my neighbour's calamonsi tree and not long after a small plant popped up near the roots. It has grow fairly quickly from sprout to what you see now in just a few weeks. I let it grow just to see what would happen but now I'm worried it will strangle the tree. Please excuse my very messy garden and dead grass.

• Views: 10
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 09:42

help identify plant please

Comment from Andrea

Hello
I planted wildflowers from NovaFlore here in France, but they only list 4 of the 8 species on their box and don't reply to mails asking for more details, soo I wondered if anyone can identify this. It maybe just a random plant that arrived on it's own but I have a dozen or so in the patch, and as it wasn't any weed I recognised I let it grow and slowly over 2+ months it's grown to this with flowers just starting to peek out. I hope it's friendly! Thanks a lot to anyone who can help
regards
Andrea

• Views: 29
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 16th July 2018 11:41
  • Last reply: Tue. 17th July 2018 11:25

Planting in dry clay soil

Question from Gwen Bragg

In forum: General

Now I have cut down my perennials I have a lot of bare soil. I can't plant anything as the clay soil is too hard

• Views: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 16th July 2018 10:39

what is this really vicious thorn shrub? dog rose type small white 4 petal flower

Photo from david Hargreaves

Haven't had any luck identifying this yet. 10 ft tall spreading arching branches. Some sort of rose?

• Views: 58
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 15th July 2018 17:19
  • Last reply: Mon. 16th July 2018 13:52

Unknown Plant found growing in the hedgerow in UK ? Trichosanthes ??

Question from George Higgins

Hi, All.
I snapped this yesterday growing up a fence next to the M6 toll road and was intrigued as it looks like small watermelon leaf from a distance but up close looks as if from the Cucurbitaceae (cucumber family).

I studied horticulture for 3 years and have a keen interest in growing exotic veg and plants in the UK but have never come across this plant before. My main fascination is what exactly is this? is it a native? and is it hardy? there are 3 separate plants growing up the fence, with large distances separating them ( 1 mile or so in-between).

Can Anyone help?

Many thanks
George Higgins

• Views: 45
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 15th July 2018 15:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 16th July 2018 16:54

What is this?

Question from Sarah Coates

Planted this in the garden last year. I bought it at a car boot sale with a bunch of other random plants so I never found out what it was. It started off as the darker, smaller green plant behind it then this summer this massive lime green plant grew out from it. The leaves are quite prickly and it seems to be growing bigger everyday... What is it and is it going to take over the back of my garden?

• Views: 42
  • Posted: Sun. 15th July 2018 13:14