OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Ground cover plant below Etoile de Hollande

Question from Angela Bunting

In forum: Container gardening

Hi,
I have a large garden box with Etoile de Hollande growing up a wall at the rear of the box. Please can you recommend ground cover plant. A friend recommended a white ground cover rose (if I do this, any thoughts on variety) - I would welcome any comments / suggestions

• Views: 5
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 20th October 2018 08:01

4 Wisteria standard in a pot

Question from Yvonne Horgan

In forum: Container gardening

Hi all. I'd like to have a go at growing a wisteria as a standard in a pot. But if I am doing that, I wondered about 4 of them, white, pink, blue and purple, "plaited" up the support pole. It will need to be a very big pot and in time they might strangle each other, but has anyone else tried this, and can I learn from any mistakes ? I am guessing they should all be sinesis or floribunda not a mix, and I thought I would pad the support pole with one of those styrofoam swimming pool "noodles" to allow some stem expansion. Maybe I should keep them in their own pots within the big tub to restrict root growth a bit?

• Views: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 17th October 2018 10:41

How to take cuttings

Question from john

In forum: General

How and when best time to take cuttings of Physocarpus Opulifolius Diabolo are they softwood or hardwood cuttings.

John

• Views: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 16th October 2018 15:18

5 West Himalayan Birch Trees

Question from Anne Adrienne Colley

In forum: Trees and shrubs

These are in a row, 5 ft apart in a flower bed. 10 ft high. The branches overhang a joint fence. How do I prune them to prevent them getting taller/wider ? Thank you.

• Views: 10
  • Posted: Tue. 16th October 2018 12:12

Does anyone know this plant

Comment from John

In forum: Identify a plant

Grew from seed in bird food - I did not recognise it so let it grow - it is now over 180 cm high,

• Views: 216
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 15th October 2018 14:40
  • Last reply: Wed. 17th October 2018 11:39

Grass ID help

Question from Jeż

Growing by my backdoor where bird seeds do sprout the odd surprise. Maybe Phalaris sp., but I would appreciate any help! This is a phone shot from this evening, hoping good for getting close but if you know your grasses and need a better shot pls feel free to say what u need to see and tomorrow I'll use a camera. Thanks, you're awesome.

• Views: 80
  • Posted: Sat. 13th October 2018 19:26

Hi all,, anyone know this scented evergreen?

Question from Megs-dad

In forum: New member

Hi all, scented plants tend to have prominent places in my garden. We came back from North Wales today [12/October 2018 and I came across the bush shown in the image. The scent was reminiscent of cloves to me- the bushes about 5-6ft tall and had just been pruned. The leaves do not look to healthy in the image as there seems to be some dust or mold on them. The gardener attending the area where I found these had no idea what they were as they had been in situ for over a decade. So,,, any ideas? many thanks

• Views: 12
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 12th October 2018 15:41
  • Last reply: Fri. 12th October 2018 19:45

PLarge shrub identification

Photo from alan smith

Hi there, I am having a serious problem trying to identify this shrub. It looks like a Japanese Maple but the seed pods look all wrong. Can any body help ?

• Views: 109
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 12th October 2018 10:17
  • Last reply: Fri. 12th October 2018 14:16

Rose Pruning

Question from Jill Chambers

Some say prune hybrid teas hard in the autumn and then lightly in the spring. Others recommend the opposite. Any views plse?

• Views: 8
  • Posted: Tue. 9th October 2018 15:06

Rose Pruning

Question from Jill Chambers

This summer my hybrid tea roses lost most of their leaves and I've had to remove others because of black spot. The weather has been very hot and they are beginning to recover with the fall in temperature. Any idea why their leaves fall and whether I can prevent it?

• Views: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 9th October 2018 15:04