OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Identify shrub

Question from Raymond Falconer

In forum: Identify a plant

This has become quite invasive. Spreads by suckering. Can anyone give it a name please

• Views: 16
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Wed. 4th December 2019 16:49

Triangulation

Question from Susannah Betts

In forum: How to use the site

Would be grateful if someone could advise how you plot onto the design using triangulation ? I tend to use triangulation more often than right angles off a baseline when surveying. Both methods are proving really hard to plot correctly with this program but any advice would be gratefully received.

• Views: 27
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd December 2019 17:11
  • Last reply: Wed. 4th December 2019 12:01

Unknown plant

Photo from Anthea Mundy

Plant - almost a metre tall, green/purple leaves, purple stems, a group of tiny white flowers at the top of each stem. I'm not sure if I planted it (no label), or whether it was self-set. Herbaceous. (Is the photo visible?)

• Views: 28
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd December 2019 09:24

can you id this plant

Photo from Joanna Henshaw

I have had this as a houseplant for some years but have no idea what it is .

• Views: 50
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 29th November 2019 15:01
  • Last reply: Sun. 1st December 2019 14:11

Filter plants in Planner

Comment from Simon Berry

In forum: Suggestion box

Wouild it be possible to filter plants in Planner (especially the desktop version) by Groups? Also, maybe the ability to search for a plant from those available in the list?

• Views: 30
  • Posted: Mon. 25th November 2019 18:34
  • Last reply: Mon. 25th November 2019 19:01

Image size limit?

Question from Spring Ford

In forum: How to use the site

Hi,

I have been struggling to make a Plant ID request. I seem to have now succeeded but it was a trial and I just wanted to let you know.

I suspect I had run into an image size limit with a single image. I was posting three. I am IT literate and if I struggled for some days with this I can see many others just giving up.

If there is a size limit please make it readily available to those making posts.

e.g. Change your text on the new post page from: "Add up to 3 images. The image files should be in jpg format."

to something like: "Add up to 3 images in jpg format. Max 1M Bytes each, 2M Bytes total."

A single image of 2018KB is too big I strongly suspect and 627KB is OK.

Thanks.

• Views: 31
  • Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 01:18
  • Last reply: Sun. 24th November 2019 14:36

Assistanace identifying plant please

Question from Spring Ford

This plant appeared alongside a closed common-hallway located ivy plant which is in a small pot outside my top-floor door. It seems a pretty odd place for a new plant to find some soil.

It has grown to a stem length of about 2 feet but in a U shape, now with three stems over about a year or a bit more. Each stem comes out the pot, descends to just brush the floor and then ascends back to the height of the pot (about 1 foot). I guess it's pot-buddy vine may have made it descend from the pot at first.

A cutting I planted in a different pot has grown straight up so far.

Each stem has directly attached leaves with no branches.

The stems are not at all woody or fibrous and break very easily in the fingers even though they are perhaps 5mm in diameter. It's probably easier than breaking a crisp lettuce.

The entire plant is a bright deep green.

The leaves seem perhaps semi-succulent (I am not a plant expert) and are very smooth and perhaps a little waxy.

Each stem has opposite pairs of leaves with each pair 90 degrees round from the pair below or above.

Apparently the leaves are Ovate with Crenate edges.

If broken off nascent roots appear in a week or so (perhaps less) at the broken part AND at each leaf-stem joint. It seems to want to root very aggressively. I now notice roots appearing at a leaf-stem junction shown in one of the attached photos.

Any broken off parts, even a leaf, do not dry out for weeks.

It has been the same colour for about a year.

It may well be strangling the same-pot ivy as that ivy is not doing as well, by a big margin, as the one in the other pot.

• Views: 156
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 24th November 2019 01:00
  • Last reply: Sun. 24th November 2019 14:54

Does anybody know this plant?

Photo from Cathryn Barr

Saw this in the grounds of Windsor Castle - some type of Rhododendron?

• Views: 67
  • Posted: Sat. 23rd November 2019 10:50
  • Last reply: Sun. 1st December 2019 14:26

We have a “lollypop” red robin, but prefer a lower bush shape. How drastic can we be in pruning this into said resultant shape?

Comment from John Dyason

In forum: Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'

We have a “lollypop” red robin, but prefer a lower bush shape. How drastic can we be in pruning this into said resultant shape? Can we cut down to below the current lowest branch, or will this kill the tree?

• Views: 19
  • Posted: Sat. 23rd November 2019 09:08
  • Last reply: Sun. 24th November 2019 09:44

Can anyone please help identify this plant?

Comment from lien

It's a tropical plant found in Southeast Asia

• Views: 118
  • Posted: Sun. 17th November 2019 11:32
  • Last reply: Thu. 21st November 2019 19:11