OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Get those slugs!!!!

Tip from natasha

In forum: Green gardening

Just thought I'd share with you all.... I was getting fed up with my lovely plants being devoured overnight that I invested in some of those eco friendly 'nematodes' to kill slugs - and BOY do they work. The slugs were roaming around looking quite ill indeed! Think I do need to get some more for another area of the garden as more slugs are moving in and I had only treated certain areas but its good stuff and doesn;t harm the little hedgy-hogs!!

• Views: 1224
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 12:39
  • Last reply: Mon. 30th March 2009 18:44

rhodadendron leaf problem...

Comment from natasha

In forum: New to gardening

I have planted a small Rhodie in my garden and over last few months have noticed quite a lot of small brown spots appearing. I have watched on the new growth and these seem to have it too. Also the plant next to it (green with fluffy stalky flowers - no idea what it is) also has the same leaf spot problem. WHAT DO I DO NOW??? Can either be saved? Would prefer to keep the rhodie if I have to lose the other (which is in worse state!). Help
Tasha

• Views: 1183
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 12:26
  • Last reply: Tue. 18th September 2007 12:25

apples

Question from al storey

In forum: Edible gardening

i have 2 container apple trees good fruit last year this year not even one blossom whats wrong help

• Views: 1204
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 11:42
  • Last reply: Tue. 11th September 2007 22:02

Help needed - Losing shrubs

Question from Lesley Wyrill

In forum: New to gardening

I have a number of problems with shrubs at the moment.
MOCK ORANGE
I have a mock orange which is around 15 years old and is usually stunning in the late spring early summer full of scented flower, but this year it was 80% deadwood. I pruned some of this back, but being aware that it flowers the following year on new growth, waited to see what it would do over the summer - but now it looks worse! Any new growth that appeared has now died back as well. Last summer it was around 12 feet high and 5ft wide but it now consists of a few dry sticks. Will it recover ? what can I do ?

VERBENA
This shrub is around 30 years old and is very large. I prune it regularly so it creates a canopy and shade for other plants and it regularly produces new growth from the base of the plant, but in a very short space of time this this new growth is affected also.For some time now it is being eaten by something and now virtually every leaf has brown specs and holes. I once noticed a number of small brown insects on some leaves so I sprayed the area with a crawling insect repellent but the damage has escalated since then. I am worried I will lose this plant completely. Can you help me ?

Hydrangea
I have numerous pot grown hydrangeas which are usually full of flower, but this summer I did not get one flower on any of them and growth is very spindly. Are they worth pruning and hoping for better results next year, or should I throw them away and start again.

I know there are some fantastic gardeners amongst you so hope one of you can offer some advice to this very 'green' ie. 'novice' gardiner.

• Views: 957
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 10:02
  • Last reply: Wed. 12th September 2007 21:45

Feeding Houseplants

Comment from pamela gray

In forum: House plants

My tip is to use the type of feed that has to be used every time a plant is watered - less likely to froget!

• Views: 1177
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:34
  • Last reply: Tue. 11th September 2007 17:53

Eco house

Comment from pamela gray

In forum: Green gardening

I was very interested to hear yesterday that an unoccupied house at the bottom of our road has been bought by the Council and is being turned into an Eco show house - I will let you know what it is like when it is finished.

• Views: 1024
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:32

Very shady corner

Comment from pamela gray

In forum: Garden design

Has anyone got ideas for a very shady corner in my garden please?
I have a very large Pittosporum growing in the corner which provides some privacy but there is a space of about 6' x 6' that is a problem

• Views: 1712
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:29
  • Last reply: Mon. 8th October 2007 13:36

Herbs

Comment from pamela gray

In forum: Edible gardening

I love growing Herbs!
What are your favourites and do you use them?
Mine are
Basil
Mint
Thyme
Rosemary
French Tarragon
Sage
Parsley
One of my newly acquired herbs is my African Blue Basil - I have let it flower and it is beautiful!
I also grow Lemon Verbena,Pineapple Sage,a few different sorts of Mint and Lemon Grass

• Views: 1039
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:26
  • Last reply: Sun. 10th January 2010 13:16

Favourite basket plants

Comment from pamela gray

In forum: Container gardening

Which plants are your favourites for your baskets and containers?
Mine are
Fuchsias
Sanvitalia
Bacopa
Brachycombe
Continental Trailing geraniums
and for foliage Centradenia

• Views: 1254
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 09:22
  • Last reply: Sat. 26th July 2008 16:34

Good luck Shoot

Comment from Philip Voice

In forum: New member

Good luck to Nicola and her team for the new Forum's.

Phil

http://www.landscapejuice.com

• Views: 1066
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 11th September 2007 08:54