"Just added all my plants to my list and I get the plant care I need!"

– Jude , Bristol

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Echinacea. Caterpillars in the flower heads

Question from Isabel Wakefield

In forum: Caterpillars

My white swan Echinacea are currently plagued with small greenish caterpillars that are living in the flower heads. They spin threads and pull the petals in to cover themselves whilst they eat little furrows across the flower head. When they are exposed and irritated they wriggle furiously and drop off to the ground. Any idea what they are and how to combat them?

• Views: 24
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 8th August 2015 22:10

Nursery owner honoured by fellowship

General post from LucyE

In forum: Careers in Horticulture, Garden Design and Landscaping

I don't know if anyone else has ever visited Larch Cottage Nurseries in Cumbria but I see on their facebook thatthe owner, Peter Stott, has just been awarded an honorary fellowship from the Uni of Cumbria for his achievements in horticulture and landscaping, it's great to hear that people in this business are being recognised for all their hard work! If you've never been to Larch Cottage it's well worth a visit, beautiful place with an art gallery and restaurant, you won't find anywhere else like it!

• Views: 49
  • Posted: Sat. 8th August 2015 09:26

Can anyone identify this

Question from Adam Byrne

In forum: Identify a plant

Saw this in a garden at a B&B i stayed at but the owner didnt know what it was. Anyone got any ideas?

• Views: 236
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 6th August 2015 23:13
  • Last reply: Fri. 7th August 2015 14:28

Can anyone identify this

Question from Adam Byrne

Again - this has sprung up - don't remember planting it at anytime. Can anyone identify it.

• Views: 46
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 6th August 2015 23:09
  • Last reply: Fri. 7th August 2015 08:06

Whats this plant please

Question from Adam Byrne

No idea where this has come from but quite like it. Does anyone know what it is

• Views: 41
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 6th August 2015 23:07
  • Last reply: Fri. 7th August 2015 08:12

Why has my buddleia no colour?

Question from Adam Byrne

In forum: Trees and shrubs

I have a Buddleia (see photos) that has gone on a mental growth spurt. This is its second year i have had it and last year it was about 0.7m high and i pruned it back quite hard. Its now shoot up and out but the flowers on it dont seem to have any colour. it didnt flower last year so i dont know if this is how it should be. All the other buddleia in the local area have colour - white purple red and two others in my garden have colour. is this just an unusual variant or is there something amiss.

• Views: 37
  • Posted: Thu. 6th August 2015 22:42

Winter Boarder

General post from Roy Warrender

In forum: Garden design

Hi, I have 2 small L shaped borders in front of my bungalow 6' x 8' x 18" wide
I would like to replant as a Autumn winter boarder
Can anyone suggest suitable low growing plants?
The ends and corners I would like to have plants that can be left in all year and not over 18" tall
the bedding plants will be changed to suit the season during the year

• Views: 207
  • Posted: Wed. 5th August 2015 23:20

Help - Viburnum tinus - disease

Question from Arjie

In forum: Leaf spot

I have a number of hedges of Viburnum tinus. They have all been affected by a ghastly leaf spotting disease. Small holes appear on new leaf growth and then the whole hedge gradually becomes affected and turns brown. Have hunted the garden forums for an answer - but can't find anything specific. Would dearly like to treat this disease as I don't want to replace the Viburnum hedges. Have attached two pictures to show the damage.
Thanks to anyone who can help & advise !

• Views: 28
  • Posted: Tue. 4th August 2015 11:06

Hydrangea Semiola InovalaurI have an outdor location which in terms of exposure and orientation suits it very well, but I was thinking of planting it in a very large Greek-style urn about 4 foot high, with good drainage and against a wall for climbing. D

Question from Paul Labbett

In forum: Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris 'Semiola'

I have an outdor location which in terms of exposure and orientation suits it very well, but I was thinking of planting it in a very large Greek-style urn about 4 foot high, with good drainage and against a wall for climbing. Do you think that the plant will be alright in a large urn like this ?

• Views: 25
  • Posted: Tue. 4th August 2015 10:13

Mystery plant from Acer seeds

Comment from AuntDaisy

This appeared in a plant pot that should have had Acer seeds in it.
Vigorous with a square stem, smooth leaves (up to ~4cm long) and lots of little "flowers" or seeds?
Any idea what it is? Is it invasive?

• Views: 77
  • Posted: Tue. 4th August 2015 08:58