OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Primrose?

Question from John Ryden

In forum: Identify a plant

Anyone know what the plant is in the attached photograph? Looks a bit like a primrose, but behaves quite differently with the flowers opening slowly and then going white after flowering. I got it with a batch of mixed plants and have lost the labels. It spreads quickly - I started with one last year and now have twelve!

• Views: 67
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd August 2021 11:51
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd August 2021 15:28

what shrub us this?

Question from Annelise Franck

Bi-pennate leaves, darker green on top surface, paler underside with indistinct central line. Small purple berries, few and far between. Widespreading and prolific growth in poor soil

• Views: 58
  • Posted: Sat. 21st August 2021 18:32
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd August 2021 17:05

Relocating a Diervilla sessilifolia Cool Splash

Question from Alison Gill

In forum: Diervilla sessilifolia 'Cool Splash'

Hi there
I offered to help a neighbour move her Diervilla Sessilifolia Cool Splash and although l’ve found notes on how to care for the plant, l can’t find anything saying when to transplant it. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

• Views: 56
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 19th August 2021 15:35

Need identification

Photo from Lorraine

Friends plant, his wife died recently and this plant has just flowered. He would like to identify it. I have been unable to help - photo not brilliant - taken on his phone

• Views: 139
  • Posted: Thu. 19th August 2021 05:21
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st August 2021 23:36

New garden, unknown tree..

Photo from Seonaid Royall

I've inherited a new garden and have a few plants I'm trying to identify but this tree is giving me most problems. It's evergreen. Has small toothed leaves. Then start of August it burst into white flower. Lovely scent. Like thick apple blossom. It's way too big in the garden so want to prune but want to know what it is first. A previous cut I can see has grown back strong from the cutting point. Bark is smooth..... what is it?

• Views: 219
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 17th August 2021 13:35
  • Last reply: Wed. 18th August 2021 10:59

Garden plant

Question from Jan

Can anyone identify this plant please. Just came up this year in back garden.

• Views: 141
  • Posted: Mon. 16th August 2021 15:44
  • Last reply: Mon. 16th August 2021 20:25

Highly scented tree

Question from Richard

There are three of these trees in my area and I would love one but don’t know what they are called and neither does anyone else. Highly fragrant, with dull looking starshaped flowers, dark green elongated heart shape leaves. Approx 25 to 30 feet high with foliage at its widest about 20 feet. It is more or less mushroom shaped but its most salient feature is its strong and loverly scent, reminiscent of Jasmine. Any ideas? I have posted one of the three smaller ones around here.

• Views: 67
  • Posted: Sun. 15th August 2021 15:57
  • Last reply: Sun. 15th August 2021 16:41

Daffodils to naturalise on a windy site

Question from Yvonne Horgan

In forum: General

New build house with no garden, which is fun, a clean slate. Post and rail fence between our lawn and a large field, facing NW, so exposed to cold North winter wind. I've planted climbing roses (on the basis they will be dormant during the worst of it), but would like to fill the space between them (still grassed) with spring bulbs, but I'm concerned the wind will simply knock them down as soon as they flower. I love the look of daffs nodding in the breeze like gossiping neighbours, but the wind really rips across the field. I don't want to put anything solid up because we like the view. Any recommendations for wind resistant narcissi?

• Views: 39
  • Posted: Sun. 15th August 2021 10:48

Damage to roses

Question from Michael

In forum: Pests and diseases

Hi,
I just discovered something is eating the leaves of the roses, not sure what it is, looks like a small white slug, any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you. Michael

• Views: 44
  • Posted: Sat. 14th August 2021 19:47

Can anyone ID this plant?

Question from Sarah-fiona Helme

It is growing in wet soil and full sun. It is about 3 feet tall, is sending out side shoots, the leaves are fairly tough but not excessively so. The most noticeable feature as you can see is the arrangement of the leaves at the base in that perfect fanning out from the crown. It hasn't flowered which would certainly help in identification, nor is there any signs of flowers at this time.

• Views: 151
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 14th August 2021 14:26
  • Last reply: Mon. 23rd August 2021 21:08