OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Please help to identify this plant

Photo from Kate Chappell

In forum: Identify a plant

I thought it might be an Iris but not sure. I don't know what it looked like while in flower I'm afraid, it's the one with the green seed pods. Thank you

• Views: 40
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd August 2016 16:25
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd August 2016 15:50

Scratchy monster

Question from Lynda Casserly

Please help me to identify and even love this inherited plant. It's scratchy and thorny just putting out a few flowers perhaps ahead of some berries. I had thought it was a fruit bush, but.....

• Views: 94
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 21:19
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd August 2016 14:22

Why is my climbing hydrangea not flowering? I add compost. It is at the lower side off a slope so the ground is moist most of the time but drains well - very stony ground. Have I planted it in the wrong place?

Question from Sally

In forum: Hydrangea anomala subsp petiolaris

Why is my climbing hydrangea not flowering? I have a new garden, the land was previously grazing land. I have planted it against a north facing fence. The soil is good and I added lots of multi purpose compost. It is at the lower side off a slope so the ground is moist most of the time but drains well - very stony ground. Have I planted it in the wrong place?

• Views: 16
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 19:30
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd August 2016 08:56

Can I trim/gentle prune Prince Charles Clematis now

Question from Madeleine Menzies

In forum: General

My Prince Charles Clematis has put on an amazing show this year but flowering has stopped although new buds have appeared. Should I prune back to the new buds now for a possible chance of more flowers? Can I give a gentle prune now anyway regardless of likelihood of more flowers or now. thanks Maddie

• Views: 173
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 16:25
  • Last reply: Thu. 4th August 2016 19:56

Plant Identification

Question from C Smith

Can anyone help me with this one please, which I suspect is a weed.

• Views: 83
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 14:44
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd August 2016 20:54

Help please

Comment from Hayley

Hi, I found this in Chirk castle on Sunday but no one could tell me what it was. Any ideas? I'm very new to gardening so sorry if it's obvious.
Thanks in advance

• Views: 31
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 11:44
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd August 2016 09:17

Eradicate Asparagus from growing thru a lawn

Question from Lynne

In forum: Lawns

Hi again Mother had laid lawn where Asparagus used to grow, but in time they have grown back, but she liked the fern type plant it made, but now she want's it out as it's making a mess of the lawn, it's in the middle of lawn, so do I just try and dig it out as much as I can, an/or is there something I could put on the roots when I find them to kill them off completely without ruining the lawn and anything else in the vicinity. Kind Rgds Lynne

• Views: 31
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2016 11:24
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd August 2016 09:19

Euphorbia lathyris - mole plant

Comment from Adriana

In forum: Euphorbia lathyris

Picture of the mole plant with an undecided future.

• Views: 22
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sun. 31st July 2016 18:18

Someone gave me one from their garden. I instinctively felt unenthusiastic about it. An irrational dislike for the poor old green thing. I don't usually have this reaction so not sure what's going on. The more I read about it, that it's poisonous, self-se

Comment from Adriana

In forum: Euphorbia lathyris

Someone gave me one from their garden. I instinctively felt unenthusiastic about it. An irrational dislike for the poor old green thing. I don't usually have this reaction so not sure what's going on. The more I read about it, that it's poisonous, self-seeding (triffid alert!), has insignificant flowers; essentially a weed (see above shoot description), the more I don't want it in my garden. Does anyone love this plant? Can I be persuaded to plant it out and not bin it? Information, opinion and advice welcome.

• Views: 23
  • Posted: Sun. 31st July 2016 17:56
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd August 2016 09:20

Plant identifier help please

Photo from Amanda Bailey

Can anyone please help me to identify this plant that was in our garden when we moved into our house. Thank you.

• Views: 106
  • Posted: Sun. 31st July 2016 08:54
  • Last reply: Mon. 1st August 2016 16:25