OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

best time to plant a hedge, ie conifers etc

Tip from Ruby Horton

In forum: Trees and shrubs

can anyone advise the best time to plant a hedge, consisiting of conifers, or beech?

• Views: 2206
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 1st October 2007 20:09
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th December 2007 20:15

Tulips in pots to transfer into border

Question from Marion Young

In forum: New to gardening

After watching Alan Titchmarsh on a recent programme planting tulips in pots into the border in spring, I should be delighted to have any advice regarding the procedure to follow - such as what sort of compost to use, when is best time to put them into garden next spring, or any other advice to help me achieve success with this procedure.

• Views: 954
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 24th September 2007 14:10
  • Last reply: Sun. 27th April 2008 14:57

Paper Birch

Question from Fi

I was given a birch, alleged to be silver, but it looks like a paper birch to me. Does anyone know where I can give it away to/plant it, so that I don't have to waste it. It is very attractive in foliage, but will be much too big.

• Views: 794
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 23rd September 2007 12:36
  • Last reply: Tue. 8th January 2008 14:33

Philadelphus - Mock Orange

Tip from Fi

I consulted a gardening expert (on Three Counties Radio! Sat mornings 9-12) yesterday on my leggy philadelphus.
He said you can coppice these after flowering (Apr/May) to about a third of their height, and get fresh leafy growth for the next year. He suggested doing this every two years, taking only a third off each alternate year. Has anyone tried this?

• Views: 1295
  • Posted: Sun. 23rd September 2007 12:35
  • Last reply: Sat. 29th September 2007 09:40

Gas Fire Pit

General post from Mandy Smith

In forum: Garden design

I am very interested in buying a propane gas fire pit but have been unable to find a UK supplier. There are some on EBAY (Fire Dancer) but these are from America and although the seller asures me that they work here I am wary. If any one knows of a UK supplier or has bought one of these I would be most interested in your thoughts. Or if anyone has any suggestions I would love to here them.

• Views: 1461
  • Posted: Fri. 21st September 2007 23:05
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd October 2007 18:29

Dividing or moving ferns How?

Question from jean anderson

In forum: New to gardening

I want to move some ferns which are established. Any tips about when and how would be appreciated.

• Views: 3176
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 21st September 2007 10:08
  • Last reply: Mon. 8th October 2007 14:09

Help with Photos

Question from Mandy Smith

In forum: New member

I was hoping to add lots of photos to my Space. Sadly I can't seem to get it to add one! I am hoping this will change. I am also a member of www.davesgarden.com this is a huge website which allows you to upload unlimited photos. When you click on plant profiles you can see photos of members plants in there gardens. It would be great if you could do this. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Any help gratefully appreciated!

• Views: 803
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 20th September 2007 22:47
  • Last reply: Fri. 2nd November 2007 13:01

Capel Manor, Enfield

General post from Georgie

In forum: Events & Gardens to visit

Capel Manor is always well worth a visit. This Saturday, 22 September is their City Harvest Festival and looks great fun. They have a website.

• Views: 1056
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 20th September 2007 20:23

Any other topics we should add?

Question from Nicola

Hi all,
Thanks for using the new forums. Do you want us to add any other forum groups?
shoot

• Views: 1357
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 20:19
  • Last reply: Sat. 20th November 2010 20:09

gardening clubs

Comment from claire collins

I have searched, over and over again to find an actual gardening club in my area (sutton Coldfield). I would really like to meet other plant a holics and get together in a social way. Does anyone out there know of a club in this area or are they dying out in favour of online clubs like shoot. Dont get me wrong I love shoot and its great to have the service but its such a shame not to be able to swap seed and ideas in person.

• Views: 950
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 19:47