OK
In progress indicator

Latest topics in the Shoot forums

Read the latest topics posted in the Shoot forums below

Essential oil

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Geranium macrorrhizum 'Ingwersen's Variety'

This plant is used in the Perfume garden by Laurie Chetwood and Patrick Collins in their Perfume garden for Chelsea Flower Show 2009. They say 'Zdravets is an essential oil distilled from the leaves. Oil is used in some perfumes'

• Views: 485
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 11:26

Essential oils

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Geranium macrorrhizum 'Spessart'

This plant is used in the Perfume garden by Laurie Chetwood and Patrick Collins in their Perfume garden for Chelsea Flower Show 2009. They say 'Zdravets is an essential oil distilled from the leaves. Oil is used in some perfumes'

• Views: 619
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 11:25

Fennel oil

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Foeniculum vulgare 'Purpureum'

This plant is used in the Perfume garden by Laurie Chetwood and Patrick Collins in their Perfume garden for Chelsea Flower Show 2009. They say 'Essential oil used in perfumery is steam distilled from the seeds. Fennel oil is used in herbaceous type perfumes.'

• Views: 683
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 11:23

Perfumed foliage

Comment from Nicola

In forum: Thuja plicata 'Atrovirens'

This plant is used in the Perfume garden by Laurie Chetwood and Patrick Collins in their Perfume garden for Chelsea Flower Show 2009. They say 'Leaves are the source of thuja oil used in some perfumes'

• Views: 558
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 11:20

Hebe 'Silver Dollar'

Comment from Laura Thomas

In forum: Hebe 'Silver Dollar'

Hebe 'Silver Dollar' is a dwarf evergreen which provides a cheery grey-green and silver variegated foliage throughout the year. In Spring, it is flushed with deep-pink leaf tips. Looks good planted amongst deep red Penstemons e.g Garnet and lavenders which compliment its blue-white flowers.
This hebe is beautiful as a centre piece for container displays.

• Views: 805
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 10:41

Friend or Foe?

Comment from Laura Thomas

In forum: Pests, diseases and invasive biosecurity risks

Saw this rather lovely creature today on a hydrangea - can anyone identify what it is?

• Views: 807
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 8th May 2009 23:29
  • Last reply: Sat. 9th May 2009 11:37

Tomato blight prevention

Question from Clive Giddens

In forum: Tomato blight

Hi, I have tried to grow tomato's for 2 years now but to no success, I seem to have had blight, is it best to spray a fungicide as a prevention if so at what stage? any other help would be great. some plants in green house, some out side, cherry variety.

• Views: 1264
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 8th May 2009 23:01
  • Last reply: Wed. 13th May 2009 04:47

hard landscapiing

Question from barrie hunter

In forum: Garden Landscaping and Design Forum Event

have a front garden layed to lawn am going to hard landscape it with membrane and shale or some form of pebbles as a starting point, question is do i need to go to the bother of lifting the lawn or can i simply place the membrane on top and lay the pebbles?

• Views: 1060
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 8th May 2009 16:29
  • Last reply: Thu. 4th June 2009 19:26

Suntrap Garden Open Day

General post from Jeana Gorman

In forum: Events & Gardens to visit

Suntrap Garden in Edinburgh are holding their annual open day on Sunday 24 May 2009. 10.30 am to 4.30 pm.

Entry £2.00 for adults and £1.00 for Concessions. Proceeds going to Perennial, Gardeners' Royal Benevolent Society.

There will be tours of the garden at 11.00am, 12.00am, 2.00pm and 3.00pm. Demonstrations on how to plant containers and baskets. Many exhibitors, including the Scottish Bonsai Society who hold their collection at Suntrap.

Garden advice, plant sales, children's games and teas, coffees and home baking.

We are based at 43 Gogarbank, Edinburgh, between the Park and Ride at Heriot Watt University and the RBS headquarters.

For further information call 0131 339 7283 or visit our website www.suntrap-garden.org.uk.

We look forward to seeing you.

• Views: 792
  • Posted: Fri. 8th May 2009 10:51

Help with garden design tool on Shoot

Question from Maite Berndes

In forum: General

I am new to Shoot and would like to know how to scale my garden so I can use Shoot Garden Design Tool,. Also tried various tools and was not sure how they worked, tried to look up on the Help section but there did not seem to be a search section.
Help am a novice to these design tools.
Maite

• Views: 574
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 6th May 2009 20:51
  • Last reply: Wed. 6th May 2009 21:01