OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 107

Fig Tree

Question from Lynn Carter

I bought my husband a fig tree in the summer for our 4th anniversary but within days of buying it almost all the leaves went yellow and fell off. It's in a pot and has been outside since July. It still has some leaves and a couple of unripened figs on it at the top. What should we do with it over winter? I've searched online for the answer but find conflicting advice. Has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, what did you do? Many thanks.

• Views: 22
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 1st November 2017 12:55
  • Last reply: Wed. 1st November 2017 19:11

plant care

Question from Dieter Hecht

First time after 4 years my phormium cream delight flowered (4 on one plant, 7 on the other). What do I need to do now that they have finished?

• Views: 47
  • Posted: Wed. 2nd August 2017 08:29
  • Last reply: Wed. 2nd August 2017 14:22

Olive tree fruits dropping

Question from Mauricio Danilo Mariani

Please help me to discover the reason why my olive tree flourishes and fruits abundantly, but as soon as the berries begin to appear and develop, they all fall to the ground without maturing.

My olive tree is now in this season covered with flowers. What could be missing, such as some kind of fertilizer or mineral so I can use to prevent this early fruit dropping before they mature?

• Views: 14
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 1st August 2017 20:33

Rhododendron hedge from cuttings and sloped garden

Question from Rebecca Cameron

Hi I'm a pretty novice gardener and about to move into a house with a large over grown garden on a slope. It is dominated by 2 huge rhododendron bushes about half way up the slope. I was wondering if I could take loads of cuttings from the to use as a hedge and then remove what's left to create a lawned area for the children to play on. So.. is this a reasonable plan re: hedge? And how would I go about it and would it cause a big drainage issue.. the rest of the "grassy area is moist and covered in moss. Any help appreciated thanks

• Views: 63
  • Posted: Sun. 7th May 2017 01:13

Composting

Question from David

why do some gardeners prefer not to shred plants and shrubs before putting on t the compost pile?

• Views: 1601
  • Posted: Sat. 10th September 2016 09:57
  • Last reply: Fri. 17th February 2017 18:14

Honeysuckle 'Lonicera Darts World' suitable for metal arch?

Question from Felicity Hasse

I have just installed a sturdy metal arch over a pathway and would like to plant an evergreen climber (or two). I am particularly drawn to Lonicera Japonica Darts World for its colour, promised fragrance and quite long flowering period. But I'm wondering if it'll be too bushy and big as the label says spread 1.5 mtrs and bushy and spreading. Although quite tall and wide, the arch is only about 60cm deep. Would this honeysuckle be okay or would it be too woody and vigorous? I don't really want roses, but would maybe consider an evergreen clematis or jasmine as an alternative. I want to keep things simple, so not a mixture of plants that might need pruning at different times. And should I have a climber either side or just one to grow over? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to gardening and any advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

• Views: 146
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd September 2016 20:02

How to make a Camellia bushy

Question from Jeremy Lea

Hello, I hope you'll bear with me being relatively new to gardening. I have a Camellia, not sure of its varierty, but I'd like to make it more of a bush and am unsure what to do. Any help would be gratefully recieved, thank you. Jeremy

• Views: 344
  • Posted: Tue. 14th June 2016 05:17

Probably a stupid question...

Question from Louisa

Hi! I recently discovered the delights of gardening but I'm a complete novice, I'm trying to tame and tidy my first garden, part of this is understanding what I have in the garden, what I want, don't want and how to look after the things that are remaining!
One question... and it might be a stupid one...
I have this lovely plant, I think its a type of Cotoneaster (correct me if I'm wrong), it blooms pink in the summer and then gives me gorgeous red berries through most of the winter... but it's grown right across my little garden wall and looks a bit unsightly. I don't want to cut it all off and lose the lovely growth, I was going to do this, but wait until it's finished flowering as it's so colourful. Is it possible to cut off the branch leaning over the wall and root it somewhere else?? It's impossible to lift as well, the branch is too hard.

• Views: 179
  • Posted: Wed. 8th June 2016 11:09

Would Clematis Harry Smith be a good companion plant for a Photinia x fraseri Red Robin?

Question from Evelyne Muchajer

I have just been given a C. Harry Smith as a present. It is small but looks healthy. I have already 4 clematis in the garden and they are all doing quite well. Having read a little about this clematis, the only support I seem to have for it is a Photinia shrub which I planted 2 years ago and is now about 2m high. Behind the fence my neighbour has a tall and bushy Portuguese laurel and a very old cherry tree. Would it a good place to plant this clematis? Many thanks.

• Views: 196
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd June 2016 09:38

Is it too late in the season to plant sedum Purple Emperor and Herbstfreude in borders?

Question from Evelyne Muchajer

Last August I bought 2 small sedums at a flower market. I planted P.E. In a border but kept H.in its pot. A few weeks after planting P.E I had to lift it out and plant it a pot as it looked very poorly. It recovered beautifully and H. is doing well too. Both are growing and their leaves look very healthy although I am not sure if they will bloom. Should I keep them in their pots or if it isn't too late, could I take a risk and put them in a border (my preference). The soil is heavy clay. Thank you in advance for your interest and help in this matter.

• Views: 128
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd June 2016 07:48