OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 210

Stump removal - Honey Fungus risk?

Question from Steve

Hi,

Moved into a property last year and have just had a row of 35ft Leylandii removed which was 'planted' in a raised bed 2ft off the ground. I was expecting to see a mass of large roots and poor dry soil under the shingle and membrane but to my surprise it was nice black crumbly soil, full of worms and not a root in sight. I have dug down 12 inches so far and am just coming to the top of the flare. So someone in their wisdom in the past buried these poor trees up past their ankles in soil, no wonder they were in such poor condition.
The question is what should i do with the stumps and whats the risk of honey fungus developing. I could hire a stump grinder or i could simply get out my chain saw and take them off as far as i can dig down, probably 16inches. If i did that, covered them in 16inches of soil and planted a yew hedge on top is there a risk of honey fungus from what remains of the stump? Any other ideas? I can really only work on 1 or 2 stumps at a time and move the soil along as i go covering the previous two i worked on. thanks

• Views: 29
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 7th September 2017 15:35

Planting Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd - in pots or in ground near house?

Question from C Rhode

I have 2 new Thuja (Occidentalis Smaragd) in pots. They're 120cm high and clipped into spirals.

I'd like to have them either side of the front door but not sure if I should keep them in the pots or if it's safe to put into the ground.

I'm happy with the size of them and don't want them to grow much bigger so will keep them clipped.

The pot size is 17L.

Would it be safe to put them in the ground, maybe 30cm or so away from the wall so the branches don't touch the wall, or do I need to keep them in pots. If the latter, can the pots be sunk in the ground to hide them?

There are no drains nearby so it is only the foundations I'm concerned about.

many thanks

• Views: 33
  • Posted: Tue. 29th August 2017 17:05

Amelanchier "Robin Hill"

Question from Joyce King

I have a new amelanchier tree about 15 ft, it has suffered a little 'root rock' but is now sturdily supported. A few leaves are turning brown and crinkly at the edges and some leaves turning reddish. Otherwise it is very healthy, is this on track, going into the Autumn.

• Views: 56
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 29th July 2017 07:53
  • Last reply: Sat. 29th July 2017 08:08

Hebe Help? Hebe looking dead - a suitable suggestion?

Question from Jasmit Kaur

I have a hebe thats 1m by 1m and it is pretty much all wood no foliage apart from a little foliage at base on one side only. I'm not sure but i think that the hebe maybe midsummer beauty with purple flowers. It's been in the garden since I moved in. It was fine last year and each year I've had it pruned. I think it's died now and I think I need to replace it. Removing it will leave a big gap in the garden - I was thinking of another compact hebe but anything I buy will take a while to fill up space. Any evergreen suggestions or plant 7.5L hebe and be patient? Any thoughts/comments/suggestions. I can post photo of existing hebe.

• Views: 54
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 6th July 2017 15:27
  • Last reply: Sun. 9th July 2017 14:30

Wedding Cake Tree

Question from Margo Wydra

We have a Cornus Controversa Variegata (Wedding Cake tree) but its main leader was broken before we got it. We have trained the strongest branch as the leader but the tree is not gaining much height. Should we leave it alone to sort itself out or continue to train up a branch. The other branches are all growing to the side, as they should, but we are not gaining much height. Grateful for any advice. Margo

• Views: 37
  • Posted: Fri. 16th June 2017 14:09

Viburnum Plicatum Kilimandjaro JWW-1 PBR

Question from Julie Ellis

Having purchased three of these plants at recent Malvern Show (roughly 1M tall and staked). Planted them in area of full sun/partial shade throughout the day - I removed the stakes as I 'presumed' these were for transporting purposes!
They appear to have no central branch and 3 X lateral branches are bending so neither are upright!
Should I re-stake these in Pyramid shape and tie lateral branches in to support until established and encouraging spiral shape desired?

Cheers

Julie Ellis

• Views: 40
  • Posted: Mon. 12th June 2017 12:09

New crateagus Pauls scarlet tree

Question from Christina Faulkner

I have a new Hawthorn Pauls Scarlet in a pot st the moment it has 3 stems about
10 inches from the root all 3 are in leasf and the top of the large 4ft stem is leafing too my question is should I remove the 3 lower stems to allow all the goodness to go up to the top of the tree. before I plant it into the ground.

• Views: 32
  • Posted: Sun. 11th June 2017 11:05

Invasive black bamboo ! Help!

Question from Liz Brewer

Hello fellow Shoot Gardeners / Designers ...

Help / guidance required.... we've just moved into our new home and inherited a lovely garden that has sadly been neglected for ten years. So much clearing and shaping and new planting to be done!!

However, in the garden there is the most beautiful section of Phyllostachys nigra, common name black bamboo. It's reached its maturity height wise, but the pesky runners are shooting out and coming up in the lawn looking like little pointing spears.

I'm planning on redesigning certain aspects of the garden and wondered whether the only way to keep this beautiful plant under control will be to dig a trench around it, line trench with a liner that can't be penetrated by roots / runners and fill with hardcore / concrete or something to restrict its roots and runners from going wherever they please.

Is this the best idea? Or can anyone else help with other thoughts?

Only slight concern is not knowing how far the roots and runners go down underground as our sceptic tank which has feeders is very close to where the bamboo grows and I don't want to dig into the feeders....!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Liz

• Views: 32
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd June 2017 14:11

Why won't my Norway Maple grow?

Question from Karen

I planted a Norway Maple (possibly Crimson King as it has dark red leaves) about 5 years ago. It was a sapling with no branches when I planted it and 5 years later, it still hasn't produced any branches but is about a couple of feet taller (about 6 foot tall now). The leaves look healthy enough but otherwise it seems stuck in terms of growth. Can anyone advise as to why this might be? Thanks.

• Views: 39
  • Posted: Tue. 9th May 2017 07:43

Bay tree advice please

Question from Tracy Gaffey

My once beautiful bay tree has never recovered since I put it away to shelter from the winter a few years ago. I repotted it last year,root bound, but it still looked sad. Leaves going yellow, then brown before falling off. I decided to leave last winter and last week I repotted again (is removed too, some roots and added new soil and fed with feeder). Will it ever recover? What is wrong and what can I do to make it look like a proper Green Bay tree?
Thanks in advance

• Views: 47
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 25th April 2017 19:34
  • Last reply: Sun. 7th May 2017 15:53