OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 206

Wedding Cake Tree

Question from Margo Wydra

We have a Cornus Controversa Variegata (Wedding Cake tree) but its main leader was broken before we got it. We have trained the strongest branch as the leader but the tree is not gaining much height. Should we leave it alone to sort itself out or continue to train up a branch. The other branches are all growing to the side, as they should, but we are not gaining much height. Grateful for any advice. Margo

• Views: 8
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Fri. 16th June 2017 16:09

Viburnum Plicatum Kilimandjaro JWW-1 PBR

Question from Julie Ellis

Having purchased three of these plants at recent Malvern Show (roughly 1M tall and staked). Planted them in area of full sun/partial shade throughout the day - I removed the stakes as I 'presumed' these were for transporting purposes!
They appear to have no central branch and 3 X lateral branches are bending so neither are upright!
Should I re-stake these in Pyramid shape and tie lateral branches in to support until established and encouraging spiral shape desired?

Cheers

Julie Ellis

• Views: 10
  • Posted: Mon. 12th June 2017 14:09

New crateagus Pauls scarlet tree

Question from Christina Faulkner

I have a new Hawthorn Pauls Scarlet in a pot st the moment it has 3 stems about
10 inches from the root all 3 are in leasf and the top of the large 4ft stem is leafing too my question is should I remove the 3 lower stems to allow all the goodness to go up to the top of the tree. before I plant it into the ground.

• Views: 12
  • Posted: Sun. 11th June 2017 13:05

Invasive black bamboo ! Help!

Question from Liz Brewer

Hello fellow Shoot Gardeners / Designers ...

Help / guidance required.... we've just moved into our new home and inherited a lovely garden that has sadly been neglected for ten years. So much clearing and shaping and new planting to be done!!

However, in the garden there is the most beautiful section of Phyllostachys nigra, common name black bamboo. It's reached its maturity height wise, but the pesky runners are shooting out and coming up in the lawn looking like little pointing spears.

I'm planning on redesigning certain aspects of the garden and wondered whether the only way to keep this beautiful plant under control will be to dig a trench around it, line trench with a liner that can't be penetrated by roots / runners and fill with hardcore / concrete or something to restrict its roots and runners from going wherever they please.

Is this the best idea? Or can anyone else help with other thoughts?

Only slight concern is not knowing how far the roots and runners go down underground as our sceptic tank which has feeders is very close to where the bamboo grows and I don't want to dig into the feeders....!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Liz

• Views: 12
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd June 2017 16:11

Why won't my Norway Maple grow?

Question from Karen

I planted a Norway Maple (possibly Crimson King as it has dark red leaves) about 5 years ago. It was a sapling with no branches when I planted it and 5 years later, it still hasn't produced any branches but is about a couple of feet taller (about 6 foot tall now). The leaves look healthy enough but otherwise it seems stuck in terms of growth. Can anyone advise as to why this might be? Thanks.

• Views: 21
  • Posted: Tue. 9th May 2017 09:43

Bay tree advice please

Question from Tracy Gaffey

My once beautiful bay tree has never recovered since I put it away to shelter from the winter a few years ago. I repotted it last year,root bound, but it still looked sad. Leaves going yellow, then brown before falling off. I decided to leave last winter and last week I repotted again (is removed too, some roots and added new soil and fed with feeder). Will it ever recover? What is wrong and what can I do to make it look like a proper Green Bay tree?
Thanks in advance

• Views: 41
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 25th April 2017 21:34
  • Last reply: Sun. 7th May 2017 17:53

Yes for hedge

Question from Grumpy

I have a large long privet hedge approx 50 years old I have a 10 ft length which is dead. I have some self seeded yews in my garden and would like to use these to fill the gaps and give more variation. My question is. can any yew be used in a hedge? The self seeded yew are approx 2ft tall we do have yew trees in the woods behind us. Will they become trees or by pruning can I make a hedge?

• Views: 21
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 22nd April 2017 17:43
  • Last reply: Sat. 29th April 2017 14:01

Moving a Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'

Question from Steve

Hi,
I have a Red Robin, about 5ft x 4ft, planted in heavy clay. I want to move this from the front garden to the rear garden and let it grow into a high screening hedge. Is now a good time to transplant or should i root prune and wait until Autumn. I don't want it getting too big for transplanting so should i also prune it back? It will go into a border where the soil has been improved as I know they dont like clay that much, although it is growing quite well where it is.

• Views: 45
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 11th April 2017 12:07
  • Last reply: Thu. 20th April 2017 21:59

Actinidia Kolomikta

Question from Jean Clarkson

Can anyone help? I'm quite new to the world of gardening and last year I purchased a Actinidia Kolomikta. I didn't expect anything to bloom or climb last year but did notice that once planted it started to climb until the leaves turned brown. I thought it had died but my brother in law suggested moving it as he thought it may have become waterlogged in the position I had planted it. A few weeks ago I noticed healthy leaves growing but once again the top leaves turned brown. Although the bottom leaves appear healthy. I have heard cats take a liking to this plant. Could this be the problem as I'm often visited by next door's cat?

• Views: 58
  • Posted: Sat. 1st April 2017 10:56

Trees growing next to house - ash and unknown evergreen

Photo from Bob

Hi, is anyone able to identify the evergreen tree next to the ash? I have included a close up of the leaves to help identification. These are both growing at the end of a neighbour's garden right up against the side wall of our house. They used to be very small but now the ash is taller than the house (or was before it was lightly trimmed) and the evergreen is also getting taller by the year. There has been some movement in the foundations causing some cracks to appear and I am concerned that this may be attributable to one or both of these trees. As much as I love trees I am concerned about this and would be interested to hear your opinion on how I should approach this issue with my neighbour. Is there a minimum distance that a tree should be planted from a house and do I have any right to ask them to be moved? Many thanks in advance.

• Views: 124
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 28th February 2017 11:50
  • Last reply: Sat. 1st April 2017 08:58