OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 201

Bay tree advice please

Question from Tracy Gaffey

My once beautiful bay tree has never recovered since I put it away to shelter from the winter a few years ago. I repotted it last year,root bound, but it still looked sad. Leaves going yellow, then brown before falling off. I decided to leave last winter and last week I repotted again (is removed too, some roots and added new soil and fed with feeder). Will it ever recover? What is wrong and what can I do to make it look like a proper Green Bay tree?
Thanks in advance

• Views: 15
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 25th April 2017 21:34
  • Last reply: Fri. 28th April 2017 07:04

Yes for hedge

Question from Grumpy

I have a large long privet hedge approx 50 years old I have a 10 ft length which is dead. I have some self seeded yews in my garden and would like to use these to fill the gaps and give more variation. My question is. can any yew be used in a hedge? The self seeded yew are approx 2ft tall we do have yew trees in the woods behind us. Will they become trees or by pruning can I make a hedge?

• Views: 7
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 22nd April 2017 17:43

Moving a Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'

Question from Steve

Hi,
I have a Red Robin, about 5ft x 4ft, planted in heavy clay. I want to move this from the front garden to the rear garden and let it grow into a high screening hedge. Is now a good time to transplant or should i root prune and wait until Autumn. I don't want it getting too big for transplanting so should i also prune it back? It will go into a border where the soil has been improved as I know they dont like clay that much, although it is growing quite well where it is.

• Views: 26
  • Posted: Tue. 11th April 2017 12:07
  • Last reply: Thu. 20th April 2017 21:59

Actinidia Kolomikta

Question from Jean Clarkson

Can anyone help? I'm quite new to the world of gardening and last year I purchased a Actinidia Kolomikta. I didn't expect anything to bloom or climb last year but did notice that once planted it started to climb until the leaves turned brown. I thought it had died but my brother in law suggested moving it as he thought it may have become waterlogged in the position I had planted it. A few weeks ago I noticed healthy leaves growing but once again the top leaves turned brown. Although the bottom leaves appear healthy. I have heard cats take a liking to this plant. Could this be the problem as I'm often visited by next door's cat?

• Views: 31
  • Posted: Sat. 1st April 2017 10:56

Trees growing next to house - ash and unknown evergreen

Photo from Bob

Hi, is anyone able to identify the evergreen tree next to the ash? I have included a close up of the leaves to help identification. These are both growing at the end of a neighbour's garden right up against the side wall of our house. They used to be very small but now the ash is taller than the house (or was before it was lightly trimmed) and the evergreen is also getting taller by the year. There has been some movement in the foundations causing some cracks to appear and I am concerned that this may be attributable to one or both of these trees. As much as I love trees I am concerned about this and would be interested to hear your opinion on how I should approach this issue with my neighbour. Is there a minimum distance that a tree should be planted from a house and do I have any right to ask them to be moved? Many thanks in advance.

• Views: 102
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 28th February 2017 11:50
  • Last reply: Sat. 1st April 2017 08:58

Transplanting a mature Acer

Question from Mark Somers

I have a 30 year old Acer, which has been in its current position for 16 years.
I need to move the tree unfortunately because of house modifications.
Can you advise what time of year this would create least stress on the tree and any other key facts that may help? Is it better late Autumn to remain dormant over winter, or early spring, just before it starts to grow, so that the roots grow into the new location to help the plant stabilise?
Thank you all.

• Views: 176
  • Posted: Fri. 3rd February 2017 15:44
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th February 2017 11:01

What tree or overgrown scrub is this please?

Question from Janet Surman

I have 10 of these trees all around my garden. I moved in a year ago and searched everywhere to find out what they are without much luck. They are about 30 years old have evergreen leaves which are slightly shiney and lighter green underneath. No flowers just leaves making a huge canopy over my flower beds. Any ideas?

• Views: 240
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 11th October 2016 23:09
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th February 2017 11:08

Cotoneaster exburiensis tree

Question from Eileen Edwards

My Cotoneaster tree which is 10 years old has not produced any new leaves this year and there have been no berries either. The leaves from last year went brown, did not drop and have literally frozen on the branches. Can anybody suggest what is wrong and what I can do?

• Views: 170
  • Posted: Sun. 26th June 2016 21:51
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th February 2017 11:25

Best site for Passiflora?

Question from Liz W

Can anyone advise me as to the best site to plant a Passiflora (Hardy variety). I believe they need lots of sunlight in order to thrive and flower. There are two options in my garden:
1. A South-East facing aspect against a fence which has sun from shortly after sunrise till early/mid afternoon (when monitored in mid-May). The last few hours are dappled sunlight due to partial shade provided by other plants.
2. A South-West facing aspect on a narrow trellis fence which has full sunlight from midday/early afternoon to approx 7.30 pm.

My favoured site is number 1 above but I wonder if this does not provide enough warmer afternoon sunlight.

• Views: 135
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 16th May 2016 19:17
  • Last reply: Sun. 1st January 2017 18:41

Pruning advice for Callicarpa

Question from Tom Day

Hi. I am feeling the need to prune my callicarpa and am not sure exactly how to do it. It is still a young shrub with only 2 main stems, but many side stems in various directions and some overlapping. Have I left it too late to prune? Do I prune the entire plant right to the ground as I have seen some websites recommending this? Or can it be a case of just neatening up with light pruning?

Thank you

• Views: 210
  • Posted: Sat. 16th April 2016 23:03