OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 194

Cotoneaster exburiensis tree

Question from Eileen Edwards

My Cotoneaster tree which is 10 years old has not produced any new leaves this year and there have been no berries either. The leaves from last year went brown, did not drop and have literally frozen on the branches. Can anybody suggest what is wrong and what I can do?

• Views: 71
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 26th June 2016 21:51
  • Last reply: Sun. 7th August 2016 16:55

Best site for Passiflora?

Question from Liz W

Can anyone advise me as to the best site to plant a Passiflora (Hardy variety). I believe they need lots of sunlight in order to thrive and flower. There are two options in my garden:
1. A South-East facing aspect against a fence which has sun from shortly after sunrise till early/mid afternoon (when monitored in mid-May). The last few hours are dappled sunlight due to partial shade provided by other plants.
2. A South-West facing aspect on a narrow trellis fence which has full sunlight from midday/early afternoon to approx 7.30 pm.

My favoured site is number 1 above but I wonder if this does not provide enough warmer afternoon sunlight.

• Views: 69
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 16th May 2016 19:17

Pruning advice for Callicarpa

Question from Tom Day

Hi. I am feeling the need to prune my callicarpa and am not sure exactly how to do it. It is still a young shrub with only 2 main stems, but many side stems in various directions and some overlapping. Have I left it too late to prune? Do I prune the entire plant right to the ground as I have seen some websites recommending this? Or can it be a case of just neatening up with light pruning?

Thank you

• Views: 169
  • Posted: Sat. 16th April 2016 23:03

Variegated Incense Cedar

Comment from Karen

At the bottom of the garden the owner of the property has planted what I think are 2 x variegated incense cedar trees next to each other and 3'/4' away from the boundary fence. How tall do these trees grow and will they cause me a problem by blocking out light - my greenhouse is approx 10' away directly in front.

These trees are slim and variegated, approx 7' high and although they look like a variegated incense cedar, could they be anything else?

• Views: 273
  • Posted: Sun. 3rd April 2016 18:55

Beautiful, old, but sick Laburnum

Question from Griff steer

We have an ancient, and very large Laburnum (over 2metres in girth) which seems to be slowly dying, are you, or can you recommend an real expert on trees and their problems? We are located near border of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire. Picture from 2013.

• Views: 176
  • Posted: Wed. 23rd March 2016 08:10

Acers to be moved

Comment from Moobloon

Due to alterations with my house I have to move two small but established Acers. Both small trees are about three feet tall with a spread of about the same.
Is now the best time to move my Acers? and, if so, what sort of location should I plant them in? (my Acer dissectum has been getting the edges of leaves scorched over recent years)

Thanks

Moobloon

• Views: 238
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 20th February 2016 20:42
  • Last reply: Sat. 5th March 2016 16:07

Laurel hedging?

Question from Ralphyboy

Hello everyone

I currently have 10 fence panels, each around 5ft in length and height, and ideally I'd like to replace them with some kind of hedging. It would need to grow around 6ft to maintain privacy. What would you lovely people suggest?

Many thanks

Ralph

• Views: 96
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd February 2016 12:08

pollination across genus

Question from Bea

No one seems to know this - will genus vaccinium cross pollinate with others of the same genus, different species e.g. blueberry with bilberry?

• Views: 83
  • Posted: Thu. 26th November 2015 11:48

planting 80 oak trees

Question from Identify a plant

what can be expected from root growth, from the planting of 80 evergreen oak trees, about 14-16 feet tall. close to a 8 foot stone wall, & about 35 feet from a house

• Views: 115
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd November 2015 13:13
  • Last reply: Sun. 15th November 2015 10:19

What is this tree?

Question from Fran Welland

I have this in my new garden in London, growing beside and into an old apple tree. I've just noticed a few yellow flowers (in mid September, about 2cm across) and can't figure out what it is. My husband's desperate to chop it all back hard, but I'd like to know what it is, and how/when best to do it first. Any ideas anyone? My best thought so far is some kind of crab apple.

• Views: 280
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 20th September 2015 14:41
  • Last reply: Tue. 29th September 2015 21:21