OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 223

Platanus acerifolia

Question from Whirlow Hall Farm Trust

Is anyone aware of another name for this species of tree. I have one but note it is not in the Shoot database so I wondered if it is better known by a different name.

• Views: 753
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 22nd April 2010 22:27
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd June 2010 15:22

Paulownia

Question from Ruth Baker

I planted a Paulownia in January - there is still no sign of life - It is essentially a single stem about 60cms high - I am wondering if it is dead or may sprout from the base as the weather warms up. Does anyone have any views??

Thanks

• Views: 541
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 21st April 2010 15:12
  • Last reply: Wed. 21st April 2010 18:05

Tall narrow evergreen for privacy needed

Question from Louise B

Please could someone suggest a tall narrow shrub that I could use as a screen between me and my neighbour's house? I have four narrow spaces of earth which could do with four tall shrubs. I've tried to attach a photo to show where they will go, if you look up at the house where the white back door is, they will go along the fence there. My neighbour won't let me put a 6ft fence there as she is worried about it blocking her light (it's her fence too) but she is one for looking into my house quite a lot, so a few shrubs should do it. Not only that, the empty patch could do with a bit of life! Trouble is the area doesn't get much light (garden faces east) so they would only get a bit of sun in the early morning during spring and summer months. Suggestions greatfully received...thank you.

• Views: 4160
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Fri. 26th March 2010 20:39
  • Last reply: Thu. 22nd April 2010 10:36

Salix capea Kilmarnock -weeping willow

Question from Sam Woerth

Yesterday a 3 foot high WW specimen shrub was noticed to be infested by grey relatively flat almost triangular bugs. Size 3mm. These scurried around the branches almost like ants. As this shrub was within feet of my garden, I offered to spray the tree with insecticide - DOFF Portland 'All in One;' MAPP 12491
0.2g/l pyrethrins.

Shrub branches, stem plus gravel at the base treated. Shrub surrounded by grass.
We await to see whether this has worked!

Q1. What is the bug likely to be?.
Q2. Best treatment for exterminating the beastie!
Q3. Likely infestation of other plants -
Roses, hosts, asters, dahlias, bedding plants + shrubs within 10 feet
Q4 From where, the bug has possibly come from- newly laid turf, bedding plants planted close by within last four months.
Q5 Any incidental advice (apart from advising
the neighbour to dig it up, before all our foundations/drains are damaged - Not by the bugs! The roots. Houses within 10 feet drains even nearer.
SamWoe

• Views: 1331
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 13th September 2009 08:29
  • Last reply: Wed. 16th September 2009 08:51

See my latest love

Comment from Laura Thomas

Hydrangeas are becoming a love of mine and am developing a yen for Japanese style gardening (pun intended - sorry!) Therefore thought I would share my latest purchase of Hydrangea serrata 'Kiyosumi' (from a small grower in Brighton with excellent service - not sure its ok to provide a site link)

Found on Mt. Kiyosumi in Japan, 'this sensational Japanese cultivar is hallmarked by plush florid colors. Glistening ruby-red buds reveal a central cluster of pink fertile flowers encompassed by rosy pink sepals picoteed in red. Turning white as they age, the sepals' deep-hued edge remains, etching splendid luminous eyes. The distinctive bicolored blooms are loosely arranged and poised amid prominently spotted stems and burgundy-tinted foliage, whose rich hues embellish the new growth and persist through summer'. - thanks to Digging Dog for the poetic description - the image speaks for itself.

Not yet in the Shoot database so have put in a request

• Views: 782
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Thu. 13th August 2009 13:32
  • Last reply: Sat. 15th August 2009 11:05

How to prune an unpruned 5 yr old apple tree?

Question from Anna Ellis

I have recently moved and have aquired a 5 year old apple tree, now standing at aprond whereximately 8 ft and has never been pruned. Any tips on how, when and where I should start!

• Views: 941
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 26th July 2009 15:09
  • Last reply: Mon. 27th July 2009 16:01

how to prune philadelphus

Question from Kelly Faughnan

Hi, I have a large Philadelphus in my garden. It always flowers very well but it is getting to large for its location. It is about 2.5 - 3 meters high. I would like to cut it back fairly hard but will this damage the shrub? Any tips? It creates a huge area of shade in the lower part of my garden so I would like to let in more light.

• Views: 1870
  • Posted: Thu. 2nd July 2009 15:33
  • Last reply: Thu. 2nd July 2009 16:38

Miss Kim Lilac planting in a pot

Question from DIANE WILDERSPIN

I have just bought a Miss Kim lilac and was told to plant it in ericaceous compost which I have done, is this correct ?

• Views: 1143
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 20th June 2009 21:44
  • Last reply: Mon. 22nd June 2009 23:06

juniperus scopulorum, blue arrow

Question from Julie Clark

Help! my juniperus Scopulorum, blue arrow, is yellowing, can anyone tell me what I can do to bring it back to its former glory?

• Views: 946
  • Posted: Sat. 6th June 2009 15:18
  • Last reply: Tue. 9th June 2009 04:11

Hebe not looking healthy

Question from Karen Grant

My 2 year old Hebe looks a little spindly as you can see from my attatched photo. Any advice on how I can improve it.

Thanks in advance.

• Views: 2107
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 9th May 2009 12:47
  • Last reply: Mon. 28th September 2009 17:17