OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 223

Hybrid Tea Roses

Question from Elizabeth Drake

I have several of these roses which are about five years old. I think I have let them get too tall and now want to prune them properly. Is it OK to cut back into the wood near the base of the plant or should I just prune the newer wood which will still keep them a bit too tall? I'd really like to get the pruning right this year so I can go on from there. All the pruning articles assume you've pruned correctly from scratch. I'm frightened I will kill them if I cut too drastically.

• Views: 979
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 28th February 2009 12:01
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd March 2009 23:26

tree stump / cutting tree down

Question from adrian walker

Hi, we have been advised a silver birch in our garden is dying and we should cut it down, it is approximately 20 to 24" in diameter and it is in the middle of a hedge row, we want to cut it down but leave a 6ft high stump, this is for 2 reasons: 1) hopefully it will try to grow again? 2) there will be a big gap if we remove it.

My question is:
once we have cut the tree down do we need to seal the open end? if so is there a good product to be recommended?

regards

Adrian

• Views: 7353
  • Replies: 12
  • Posted: Thu. 26th February 2009 13:25
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd March 2009 22:33

Never flowered: Boo

Comment from natasha

I have two oriental poppies and a Magnolia 'Goliath' (Magnolia grandiflora 'Goliath') NEITHER of which have EVER flowered since I got them.
Not so worried about the poppies as they were cheap but the Magnolia was a few hundred pound.
Do they take a few years to settle before flowering. It looks healthy in all other repects. Glossy leaves good new growth for the 2 years we have had it (though the first spring - just after planting the weather changed temp quite quickly and it dropped a lot of leaves - but has since recovered)

• Views: 810
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 11:47
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd March 2009 18:42

Lavatera looks a little grotty. Help?

Comment from natasha

Sorry - think I posted in wrong section before. So here it is again.
I planted a lavatera last year - which went BONKERS and grew MASSIVE and looked just lovely in flower.
I have not trimmed it or anything.
At the moment its looking a bit pathetic. Quite bare and a bit yellowy. But I am guessing that its due mainly to the time of year and it will look glorious again in the Spring.
Am I right - or do these plants only look fab for a year or so then just look grotty?

• Views: 768
  • Posted: Mon. 23rd February 2009 11:35
  • Last reply: Wed. 25th February 2009 21:19

Tree Stump

Question from Wendy

I have taken down an old conifer tree and wondered what is the best way of dealing with the stump. If I leave it to rot down, how long will this take or is there any benefit to having it grinded?

• Views: 934
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sat. 7th February 2009 17:26
  • Last reply: Sun. 8th February 2009 15:47

Corkscrew hazel

Question from Beverley Lee

My corkscrew hazel is growing but didn't have catkins at all last year and only a few this year. Any ideas on why this is happening?

• Views: 1951
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Tue. 3rd February 2009 10:33
  • Last reply: Tue. 25th January 2011 09:24

New shrubbery - Help!

Question from MundyE

Help! My husband just dropped into the conversation that he'd "like a shrubbery" in our so far fairly empty ex-building-site of a garden.

And I'm panicking... It's to be 13m long and 1.6m wide, flanking a path alongside the NW facing wall of the house. So fairly shade tolerant plants except for where the shrubbery emerges from the shadow of the house into late summer sunshine.

The reason for my panic is that although there are many shrubs I love (azaleas, weigela, viburnum,deutzia, daphne, photinia, potentilla, abelia....), I just can't get the hang of seeing them all together in 3D plus the added dimension of TIME: what they'll all be doing in any week.

Can anyone help with this? Any tried and trusted recipes? Any online help? Any publications?

The soil is fairly neutral, the site level but exposed to cold nor'westerlies in winter. Oh, and He-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't want anything much above window-level (around 4-5 feet).

Many thanks in advance, Mundy

• Views: 5435
  • Posted: Sat. 15th November 2008 20:20
  • Last reply: Fri. 21st November 2008 10:30

Name of Shrub?

Question from Norman Bowditch

This shrub was in my garden when I moved just over a year ago, but so far I have been able to identify it, any ideas?

• Views: 1014
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 18th July 2008 17:24
  • Last reply: Sat. 16th August 2008 10:01

Passiflora

Question from Charlie Robertson

I have a massive bush of this and I have pruned it but I wonder if enough - any help on how far down
i prune. i have just moved to devon and this is outside in a warm stable block quad. When we
arrived in November it was massive - 10ft accross and 6ft high but left as a bush ie un trained up the
wall. It was covered with unopened flower 'lanterns' It obviously likes the spot it is in but i have cut
back to about 2ft. It also has 3 main and a 4 smaller woody stems coming out of the ground - do I
leave these as is or just concentrate on one cutting the others right down?

• Views: 1068
  • Posted: Sun. 10th February 2008 20:18
  • Last reply: Wed. 25th February 2009 21:41

Clematis

Question from Wendy

I'm interested in buying a clematis to climb through an old tree along side a rambling rose i.e., 'Wedding Day'. Could you let me know if it can be left to ramble or should I prune it as per Groups 1, 2 and 3. If it is left to ramble, would it still produce lots of flowers? The clematis I am interested in = Montana 'Tetrarose' and armandii. Can anybody recommend another that would do the same? Many thanks

• Views: 1125
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd January 2008 11:57
  • Last reply: Sat. 7th March 2009 14:28