OK
In progress indicator

Trees and shrubs

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 223

Pieris pruning

General post from tony butler

We have got a beautiful Pieris 'Forest Flame' which was in the garden when we bought the house. It is well over three metres tall but leggy. There are three trunks 75-100 mm diameter, There is virtually no foliage below the two metre mark. We had Rhododendrons at the bottom of the garden which I vigorously cut back two years ago and gained a good 5 metres of garden length. They are bushing up nicely. Can I cut the Pieris back, when and by how much? If I cut it back to head height I will be left with three thick sticks with no leaves! I don't want to kill it or mutilate it but what about after care of my three sticks? Thanks.

• Views: 21163
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sun. 20th January 2008 20:19
  • Last reply: Sun. 13th January 2019 15:53

Cotoneaster 'Cornubia'

Question from Brendan Cox

I am a complete gardening novice and have recently moved into a new house which has a beautiful mature garden. The main feature of this garden is a Cotoneaster 'Cornubia' Tree that has grown to about 10 ft in height unfortunately it has become too big and I was after some advice on how it should be pruned.

We sought advice from a tree surgeon as to what we should do but he was unable to offer any advice as he couldn't identify the tree! We want to keep the tree as it offers us privacy but we would like to take off some of its height. If I were to cut back the top branches would the tree flourish?

Any advice would be very welcome.

• Views: 4477
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 16th January 2008 08:47
  • Last reply: Thu. 17th January 2008 15:28

Pieris Katsura

Question from Marrel Tallett

I have two of these plants in my garden, however, they do not appear to be growing at all whilst other plants around them are thriving. They have not died off, but they don't appear to have grown at all since i planted them and don't look totally healthy with their leaves drooping. How can i bring them back to good health?

• Views: 1144
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:50
  • Last reply: Tue. 27th November 2007 21:11

Rhododendron

The leaves on my rhodedendron have been nibbled away by something. What can i do to stop whatever it is nibbling at it?

• Views: 990
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:48
  • Last reply: Tue. 27th November 2007 21:20

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)

I planted a rose of Sharon last year and it flowered, however this year it has had buds on it, but they have failed to develop and flower. It is now dying off again for autumn/winter. Why didn't it flower and what can i do next year to keep it healthy?

• Views: 777
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:45
  • Last reply: Wed. 24th October 2007 09:50

Calla Lilly

I purchased 2 Calla Lilly plants this year and planted them into the ground. After 2 weeks it was apparent that they were not happy at all and so i replanted them in a pot. However they have completely died off and there is no sign of any greenery showing in the pot at all. I love these plants and would really appreciate some help on how best to grow them.

• Views: 1113
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:43
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th December 2007 20:00

Wisteria

i have been given a wisteria which was in a pot and was pot bound. It is in a very sorry state. I have planted it and hope that it grows over my summerhouse, however i looked at it today and it appears to have lost more leaves and is now all but twigs. Have i lost it completely, or is there a chance it will come back to life in the spring?

• Views: 928
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:40
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th December 2007 19:47

Acers

I am pretty new to gardening and have an Acer tree and a smaller Acer shrub, many of the leaves appear to look as if they have been burnt or have been caught by frost - they are really feathery and have lost their colour. The whole plant is not like this, but quite a few leaves. Can anyone give me any idead on what it is and what i can do to help them.

• Views: 867
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 7th October 2007 21:38
  • Last reply: Tue. 27th November 2007 21:28

Problem Pear

Question from Joan Scott

I have a patio pear, it is a Spur tree and is in a 50 ltr shrub tub. It is about 4 years old, and although it has lots of blossom it never bears any fruit, I water and feed my fruit trees regularly, and as usual the pear trees (I have two, one a spur the other a dwarf pear also in a shrub tub) are beginning to loose their leaves first, they are going yellow, except the spur tree, the majority of the leaves have actually gone black, about 75% are black the rest yellow, I have never seen it like this before, has anybody any idea what could be wrong with my little tree.

• Views: 736
  • Posted: Mon. 1st October 2007 20:16
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th December 2007 19:33

best time to plant a hedge, ie conifers etc

Tip from Ruby Horton

can anyone advise the best time to plant a hedge, consisiting of conifers, or beech?

• Views: 2222
  • Posted: Mon. 1st October 2007 20:09
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th December 2007 20:15