OK
In progress indicator

Identify a plant

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Get help identifying a plant here. Post images of plants you are trying to identify and give us a description of the plant. Please take a few images and post them all into the same 'forum topic thread'.

Images should be close-up of flowers, leaves, fruit and far away to give a sense of the scale and shape of the plant. Please add a description e.g. if the plant is evergreen, when it is blooming, height etc. It is always nice to have both the flower and leaf.

We will do our best for you to help identify it!

Total number of topics in this forum: 2715

What is this plant please?

Question from Jo Taylor

I need to identify this to check if it’s safe for our tortoises! It pops up all over our garden, fleshy stems with a root like snowdrops (white, easily breakable). I suspect it would cover the ground quickly if allowed.

• Views: 29
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 20th May 2018 10:59
  • Last reply: Sun. 20th May 2018 14:16

Trying to work out if plant or weed

Comment from Clare Jeffries

This plant sprung up recently and I have left it to identify it but can't! I don't remember it there previously. Can you help?

• Views: 32
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 20th May 2018 10:54
  • Last reply: Sun. 20th May 2018 13:38

Elle rose

Photo from Peter

I was told this is a Elle Rose when I brought it but all my previous ones were yellow could someone please identify it

• Views: 24
  • Posted: Sat. 19th May 2018 09:00
  • Last reply: Sun. 20th May 2018 14:11

Flower or weed?

Question from Mari lember

Lots of these are coming up from underground roots, I've moved into a new house so I don't know what the previous garden owner planted here. It might be early to tell as it's only May and the shoots are still young but could this be a flower that will blossom later in the summer or is it a weed that I should get under control now before it's too late?

• Views: 107
  • Posted: Sat. 19th May 2018 00:24
  • Last reply: Sat. 19th May 2018 14:58

Invasive plant - please help

Question from Dee

My Daughter bought a flat hasn't been able to move in for 18 months (another story) and is responsible for the front garden, there was a huge conifer we had removed and about 6 inches of pine needles all over, which we now know was acting as a suppressant. Went to the flat and there are general weeds, but this very tall plant that seems to spread very easily. It has grown to about 3-4 feet in places, and seems to have a main sturdy stem, with curly roundish leaves on it, have sprayed with round up, but doesn't have much effect. if I could identify it, I may be able to control/get rid of it. Not sure if it is a plant or a weed.

One pic shows it close up, the other shows it from a distance, in the background, for context.

We pulled some up last August, it doesn't seem to flower.

• Views: 64
  • Posted: Fri. 18th May 2018 20:36
  • Last reply: Sat. 19th May 2018 15:04

What is this smelly plant/shrub?

Question from lauren willingham

Hi I have joined here hoping to get some help! I have just bought a new house and at the entrance of the driveway is this plant/shrub that smells of weed! Every time something has brushed past it, it has released the worst odour... hoping you guys are able to help me identify it and tell me the best way to manage it.

Thanks Lauren

• Views: 92
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 17th May 2018 21:33
  • Last reply: Sat. 19th May 2018 21:14

What is this?

Question from Cathie Brown

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? The largest leaves are about 3" long and they are quite soft and fine. Growing in shade in dry soil.

• Views: 83
  • Posted: Thu. 17th May 2018 20:25
  • Last reply: Sat. 19th May 2018 00:17

Identification needed

Question from Kerry Richardson

Lots of brown/purple flowers from mid spring with a light scent. Planted by previous owner of house and around 7 years old. All leaves drop off in autumn.

• Views: 80
  • Posted: Thu. 17th May 2018 11:05
  • Last reply: Fri. 18th May 2018 07:03

Can’t identify this plant

Comment from Zona

This beautiful plant flowers in April on bare branches and leaves come out may-June. Very fragrant. Flowers every year. Spread around 1-2m in 5 years

• Views: 55
  • Posted: Thu. 17th May 2018 08:59
  • Last reply: Fri. 18th May 2018 07:05

What is this beautiful tree called

Question from Joanne Bruce

hi, the tree changes colours from green to red to pink, any idea what it is called?

• Views: 24
  • Posted: Wed. 16th May 2018 20:42
  • Last reply: Sun. 20th May 2018 13:44