OK
In progress indicator

Identify a plant

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Get help identifying a plant here. Post images of plants you are trying to identify and give us a description of the plant. Please take a few images and post them all into the same 'forum topic thread'.

Images should be close-up of flowers, leaves, fruit and far away to give a sense of the scale and shape of the plant. Please add a description e.g. if the plant is evergreen, when it is blooming, height etc. It is always nice to have both the flower and leaf.

We will do our best for you to help identify it!

Total number of topics in this forum: 2887

Different from a Salvia?

Question from Peter

Clearly a Lamiaceae, I thought that this might be a Salvia microphylla or greggii but the flower form is different. The upper lob is split and narrow with beak-like tips, and the side lobs narrow and extended. It appears unlike any Salvia I can find. Your help would be appreciated.

• Views: 33
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 21st July 2018 09:52

PLEASE HELP CAN YOU IDENTIFY THIS SHRUB

Question from lizz

I know almost nothing about plants but this one is a delight and like my garden so would like to get another . It is about 8 years old 1.5 high similar width .. seems to be more often in flower and with berries than not

• Views: 73
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 20th July 2018 18:13
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st July 2018 02:27

What is this plant

Question from Gill Jackson

Can anyone tell me what this plant is

• Views: 38
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 20th July 2018 17:05
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th July 2018 20:25

Identify plant by its seed pod

Photo from Barry Watts

Can anyone please help identify from which plant this seed pod belongs? I planted lots of plants in April/May and many are now seeding, but I failed to mark this one.

• Views: 26
  • Posted: Fri. 20th July 2018 14:43
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th July 2018 17:59

Hedge identification

Question from Kennington

Hi all. Can anyone help me identify this plant please, used here as a hedge.
I like the way that the shape of the individual plants can still be seen, rather than blending into one flat mass.
Cheers,
Ken

• Views: 40
  • Posted: Fri. 20th July 2018 07:58
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th July 2018 20:18

What is this plant

Question from Simon

Hi. I'm a bit of a novice gardener but was wondering if anyone knows what this plant is as I'm not sure what to do with it. Many thanks

• Views: 65
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 19th July 2018 20:29
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th July 2018 09:42

Grass identification

Question from Ron Dawes

Wondering if anyone can identify this ornamental grass. It appeared in my garden in 2016 and has flowered for the first time this year. it is quite pretty and architecturally interesting. I have no idea where it came from.

• Views: 27
  • Posted: Thu. 19th July 2018 19:14
  • Last reply: Sat. 21st July 2018 12:15

Identify

Photo from Louise

Can anyone put me out of misery and identify this plant. I have an idea what it is but not sure if its correct.

• Views: 116
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Thu. 19th July 2018 14:23
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th July 2018 19:24

Some kind of fern?

Question from Julia Goor

I was told this was a Victoria Fern, but it doesn't fit the description when I look it up. It grows easily in a trough in partial shade. The leaves are quite stiff and papery. The fronds are 15 - 30cm long. The leaves grow opposite each other and curl at the edges. The leaves turn brown in winter, I cut them back and new fronds unfurl from the base in spring. I'd like to transplant it to full shade but want to be sure it will be happy.

• Views: 34
  • Posted: Thu. 19th July 2018 13:26

Plant Identify

General post from john mooney

I found this plant in my garden growing in a new position I had built up from a moat / embankment area around a 15 foot terraced part of the garden where I had used old used soil and rubble. It has the following points.
1 Square Purple stem. 2 Flower stems are at right angles to each other changing at each level. 3 Has small red flowers. 4 Not to sure how tall it grows as I have several growing just inside a wooded area that are about 2 Metres

• Views: 60
  • Posted: Wed. 18th July 2018 21:42