OK
In progress indicator

Dicksonia antarctica

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Forum for Dicksonia antarctica

Go to the Dicksonia antarctica details page

Total number of topics in this forum: 4

Fern garden

Question from Jacky White

I have just bought a Dicksonia Antarctica and am planning a fern garden. the bottom of my garden is damp and cool, grass won't grow. I have just been to the cloud forest in Peru and was inspired by the beautiful ferns. What would look good with my tree fern? I have a space of 8' x 12', all shaded.

• Views: 759
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 30th October 2011 17:10
  • Last reply: Mon. 31st October 2011 07:24

Is it dead

Comment from Stuart Downey

I have my tree ferns planted out in the garden. Although I covered it with fleece during the winter there have been no new fronds this year so far. Could these be considered as having died?

• Views: 928
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 9th June 2011 16:08
  • Last reply: Fri. 1st June 2012 07:29

Do I cover crown from heat?

Question from Iris Lando

My new 9' Tree Fern planted in June had a flush of 5 large fronds in July. In the crown are many more ready to unfurl but they are splitting and giving out a black sap. At this height, if the weather is fine, it is in the sun for about 3 hours a day,which I hadn't considered. Should I cover its crown with leaves perhaps? I have 2 others looking beautiful beneath it from the year before.
Any ideas please?
Iris

• Views: 1346
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 19th August 2009 21:45
  • Last reply: Thu. 20th August 2009 21:14

Can i plant out yet

Question from Kevin Griggs

Hi, got a Dicksonia Antartica, its not in a pot, and i have stuffed the crown with straw. Should i plant it out now in December or leave it where it is at the mo, up the side of the house (see pic)

• Views: 1507
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 31st December 2007 16:41
  • Last reply: Sat. 6th February 2010 16:41