OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

H3 and H4

Question from Marion Young

What is the minimum temperature for H3 and H4. I keep wondering about this every time I see it mentioned. I have 3 lavateras, H3, which are still not showing any sign of regrowth, and 2 ,H4,which are covered in new foliage. The H3s are Lavatera Maritima, and the others Barnsley. Help please.

• Views: 1233
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 29th April 2008 14:48
  • Last reply: Wed. 30th April 2008 09:36

Tulip bulblets

I think I read somewhere that after tulips have flowered and leaves have shrivelled after about six weeks, that one can harvest the little bulblets, and pot them on, but store large bulbs. Can someone please advise me if this is correct, and if so, how deep should I plant them.

• Views: 2350
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Tue. 29th April 2008 05:57
  • Last reply: Wed. 30th April 2008 09:43

new to gardening - help with planting Bamboo

Question from Jennie Francis

Hi All

Me and Hubby have today bought three established bamboo plants from B&Q to plant to give a screening effect in our garden. At present, they are approx 6ft tall already.

First question is, should we water the bamboo this evening before we get ready to plant them in the ground tomorrow?

Secondly, how do we safely remove the plant from the actual pot without damaging the shoots?

Finally, the advisor at B&Q recommended us to plant them approx 2ft apart, is this about right?

Any other advice would also be greatly received!!!

• Views: 4362
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 19th March 2008 19:22
  • Last reply: Fri. 21st March 2008 20:18

Is garden maintenance a trade?

Question from Gary Edwards

As a gardener I found it frustrating that no matter how insured, qualified, licensed, equipped etc I was, my prices would still be compared to a casual labourer such as the retired or a neighbours young son.

Can gardening be a trade? We have set up The Gardeners Guild to help people appreciate the added value that a professional gardener, committed to gardening as their trade, can bring.

But what do you think is the minimum requirement for a gardening to become a 'trade'?

We look forward to any feedback!

Thanks

Gary Edwards

• Views: 914
  • Posted: Fri. 14th March 2008 18:50
  • Last reply: Tue. 25th October 2011 18:35

HELP - What can I plant for security in my garden

Question from Jennie Francis

Hi All

Me and my husband have recently brought a house with a rather large garden, 15ft by 130ft approx. We previously lived in a flat so arn't used to having a garden..

At the very end of the garden, there is a pathway which runs alongside the back of some new houses. However, the pathway is probably set apprx 2ft higher than the level of our garden, which means people can see into and come over into our garden.

We think people are actually coming into the garden over the back fence and would really like to plant something quite prickly and dense to protect the garden a little more.

At the back of the garden, there is a soiled area apprx 5ft by 13ft to plant whatever we want to. In front of this space, there is a brick built base, which is approx 13ft by 13ft and approx 3 ft high.

Whatever we plant, we want to have an instant-ish effect. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Also, can anyone recommend any suppliers? We live between Birmingham and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands.

Many thanks and apologies for the long message!

Jennie

• Views: 1178
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 2nd March 2008 22:50
  • Last reply: Thu. 27th March 2008 23:34

Bare-rooted peony

I have just received 3 bare-rooted peonies, which I ordered on line. Unfortunately, there are no planting instructions included, and I would appreciate advice about depth, etc. Should the soil cover the top of the tubers? I have never had peonies before, but just couldnt resist buying them. Maybe a mistake, as bare-rooted plants always cause me worry.

• Views: 987
  • Posted: Tue. 16th October 2007 18:03
  • Last reply: Fri. 9th November 2007 13:11

Climbing Roses

Question from Julian Abbotts

I am looking a climbing rose i have looked at Danse de Feu. I would like flowering for as long as possible during summer and white in colour if possible, any suggestions please

• Views: 1071
  • Posted: Mon. 8th October 2007 09:59
  • Last reply: Tue. 4th March 2008 00:02

Tulips in pots to transfer into border

After watching Alan Titchmarsh on a recent programme planting tulips in pots into the border in spring, I should be delighted to have any advice regarding the procedure to follow - such as what sort of compost to use, when is best time to put them into garden next spring, or any other advice to help me achieve success with this procedure.

• Views: 1013
  • Posted: Mon. 24th September 2007 14:10
  • Last reply: Sun. 27th April 2008 14:57

Dividing or moving ferns How?

Question from jean anderson

I want to move some ferns which are established. Any tips about when and how would be appreciated.

• Views: 3490
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 21st September 2007 10:08
  • Last reply: Mon. 8th October 2007 14:09

Is an Annual really an annual???

Question from natasha

I have bought some Campanula and Dianthus recently and both 'tickets' on the pots say they are annuals and are only for 1 season. is this right though? I bought snapdragons last year and they said I should discard after flowering yet they flowered again this year. How do I know if an 'annual' will come back or not - Shoot site says Campanula takes 2-3 yrs to reach maturity which indicates to me I can leave it in the soil!! Is this just a bit of a con to buy new plants next year!

• Views: 851
  • Posted: Wed. 19th September 2007 13:12
  • Last reply: Sat. 22nd September 2007 21:10