OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Planting in autumn / winter

Question from Heidi Varley

I have a new garden to plant up and have done my design and have started to buy various plants to go into my garden.

My questions are:
1) What are the guidelines for planting in winter? If the ground isn't frozen is it ok to carry on planting?
2) Will my new plants be ok left in their pots if I don't get them into the garden? They are all hardy shrubs, grasses, bamboo etc
Thanks for any advice!

• Views: 346
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 22nd November 2015 18:17
  • Last reply: Thu. 26th November 2015 11:10

has my achillea died?

Question from Jan Ramsay

Being very new to gardening, having lived in a flat for most of my adult life, although I grew up with parents who loved their garden and helped out a lot, and have had my own garden since 2008, my head is now full of questions.for which you can't always find the answers to, even on line.
My question today is concerning my achilleas. Some have started to grow new shoots but others look dead with no sign of anything that looks remotely alive. I cut them down to ground level in late winter, as one site advised. Am I just being impatient?
I wish, when you purchase a new plant, it includes information about what will happen to it in the winter and going through into the spring or is it a ploy to sell more as the inexperienced gardener will think the plant has died so you buy another one?
I look forward to any help you can give me.

• Views: 513
  • Posted: Sat. 4th April 2015 08:19
  • Last reply: Sat. 4th April 2015 13:30

plant to grow up a willow obelisk?

Comment from Helen Brandon

I've been given an attractive looking willow obelisk (1.2m). I'd be grateful for some suggestions as to what would be good to climb on this.

• Views: 657
  • Posted: Sat. 14th March 2015 19:55
  • Last reply: Sun. 15th March 2015 00:23

Is there anybody who could help me in identifying these species?

Comment from Lauren

Hi, I've attached some images, could anyone help in giving their botanical name and if relevant cultivar name?

• Views: 667
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 4th October 2014 10:38

Aspect

Question from Deborah Hodges

I know which way is North etc. but what is meant by aspect when choosing the correct place for a plant?

• Views: 417
  • Posted: Tue. 30th September 2014 10:11
  • Last reply: Tue. 30th September 2014 10:26

Pieris not growing

Question from HELEN DUNN

Over 3 yrs ago I bought 3 Pieris online, which arrived as very small plants (x2 Forest flame & 1 silver). For the first year I left them in pots . I repotted with Ericaceous compst into a bigger pot, and covered with fleece the first winter.
In May the following year I planted them in the border along with a japonica little heath which I got for mothers day. I used 2x 30litres of Ericaceous compost between the 4 plants as my soil is neutral-alkaline.
This is the end of their 2nd summer, and the little heath is doing well, but the others don't seem to be growing much never mind producing flowers or changing colour. I have fed them with Ericaceous feed and The leaves still look green and healthy to me. Is this normal?
Can any one advise me how I can help them?
If I leave them are they likely to grow next year ?
Can anyone tell me when they start to change colour/ produce flowers
Do I need to cover the plants with fleece this winter?
Or should I put them all back into pots? If so when (ie now or in Spring?)

• Views: 612
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 10th September 2014 13:59
  • Last reply: Thu. 11th September 2014 13:36

Moving an established hydrangea & rhododendron

Question from Lauraannnewton

I need two move these plants due to horses field tail and bind weed so I can cover for a couple of years and hopefully get rid of these weeds so I can grow veg. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Views: 804
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 31st August 2014 14:19
  • Last reply: Mon. 4th April 2016 17:44

Brown leaves on camellia

Question from Helen Tyas

Hi,
I have a two year old camellia. It flowered last spring but not this. It is in a large pot in the correct soil. Since early this year I've been noticing the leaves turning brown and dropping off. It is in a south facing garden but against a fence so it does not get morning sun.
Any ideas? I'd like to ensure it flowers next spring.
Thanks.

• Views: 733
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 10th August 2014 17:00
  • Last reply: Sun. 10th August 2014 19:30

Lavender path edging

Question from margaret

could anyone tell me the best Lavender for edging along a path?I would prefer a dark blue colour with a spread which is not too high and nice and compact. This is my first foray into gardening! Any advice as to how far apart to plant them and any other advice at all will be very gratefully received!!. Many thanks

• Views: 1940
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Thu. 24th July 2014 13:21
  • Last reply: Fri. 25th July 2014 12:44

Stunted rose

Question from Deirdre

Hi I bought two climbing roses last year. One has grown and flourished the other has stunted and hasn't grown in size at all. It does have foliage this year but no flowers. I've been feeding it to try bring it back but no luck. They're both planted in the exact same conditions.

Any ideas what the cause could be?

• Views: 466
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sun. 29th June 2014 15:16