OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Hellebores planted at wrong time of year?

Question from Garry Pelka

I bought some Helleborus x hybridus plugs in late March/early April and being the enthusiastic but novice gardener i am, i potted them straight away and they have primarily been kept in my humid shed for the last few months with some days in the sun when i remember. They have grown from 2-3 inches to about 6 inches but now i have joined shoot i read they should be planted in situ in Autumn. Can anyone suggest how i look after them from this point until September when i can plant them outside (i think?)

• Views: 581
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 18th June 2014 17:56
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th June 2014 11:02

Planting flowers apart

Question from Deirdre

Hi I'm just about to plant out some catmint. The instructions tell me to plant them 30cm apart.Does that mean a 30cm distance on either side or 15cm on either side therefore adding up to 30cm?

• Views: 400
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 1st June 2014 21:03
  • Last reply: Mon. 2nd June 2014 07:56

What kind of plant is pictured below?

Comment from Derrick Floyd

I found this plant growing in Winston Salem ... I have no idea what kind of plant it is...please tell me if you know.

• Views: 434
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 26th May 2014 00:51
  • Last reply: Mon. 26th May 2014 02:25

Shade growing Climbers

Question from Charlotte

I would like to cover our old portacabin with several climbers. I like clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine and rambling/climbing roses. The problem I have is that the bed I have made (the only place it can be) is very shaded. I would really like scented flowers not just say ivy growing up. Please can you help. Thanks Char

• Views: 677
  • Posted: Sat. 19th April 2014 21:08
  • Last reply: Sun. 20th April 2014 07:35

Please help me name my plant

Comment from April i.

I planted the seeds of this plant 6 months ago and it grew this big. I was told it's a mint plant but i don't know what type of mint plant it is, please help me identify it.thanks a lot!

• Views: 525
  • Posted: Mon. 17th February 2014 04:40
  • Last reply: Mon. 17th February 2014 04:51

Planting fuschia

Comment from Ann Cockerton

Hi

I have three fuschia to plant - army nurse, snow cap and Dorothy handley. They are in nursery pots and I wondered if I could plant them in the border now or need to wait till the spring but transfer them into bigger pots in the meantime? Sometimes when y read the instructions I guess new gardeners can take the care too literally! The care here said to plant in the spring hence the question - many thanks ann

• Views: 858
  • Posted: Wed. 7th August 2013 23:33
  • Last reply: Thu. 8th August 2013 10:57

Penstemon flopped over??

Question from Jasmit Kaur

I was given a 2 year old penstemon volcano kilmarajo in a pot in June . This is shorter variety with eventual spread 30cm and height 60cm. It seemed quite happy and erect in the pot. I then transplanted it into my garden, now the stems of plant (20cm in length) have flopped. There are a couple of buds appearing that are yet to flower. There is plenty of new foliage growth so I think the plant is happy in the garden. My other young penstemons in same part of garden are doing OK. Any suggestions to as why the stems have flopped over please?

• Views: 678
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 5th August 2013 12:43

pest infestation.

Question from Joan Rogan

Newbie gardene here and Im feeling lost. Just bought 3 lavandula stoechas( mulberry ruffles)plants to add to my new patio garden and also to hopefully send the thousands ( well, it seems like thousands) of midgies away but so far Im having no luck. has anyone any other suggestions on how to get rid of these little pests.I love my new container garden but cant enjoy it at night or else I go back into house feeling my skin and scalp is crawling.

• Views: 612
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd July 2013 13:01
  • Last reply: Mon. 22nd July 2013 14:34

Potting on perennials now - while flowering and in growth - is it ok??

I bought some young perennials in March in 1L/9cm pots
I immediately loosened the rootball and potted them into a pot with compost 1-2inches larger than the original into 3/4L pots. It was suggested that I pot on up slowly rather than place in final container immediately.

The plants have all successfully grown and currently flowering.
I realise that I can see some visible presence of roots through the bottom drainage holes - however the roots are not coming out of drainage holes yet.

I plan to pot on into next size container until I reach my final container size (40cm/50cm pots).

When can I pot on into larger container - post-flowering in Autumn? Wait to Spring? Right now?

• Views: 700
  • Posted: Thu. 18th July 2013 07:34
  • Last reply: Thu. 18th July 2013 09:52

Planting out now

I have been given two nice perennial plants in 3L pots from a friend. It's dwarf alstroemeria plant. Is it ok to plant it straight out into the garden given the really hot weather if I keep it well watered or should I keep it in the pot and plant out in Autumn?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jasit

• Views: 405
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 17th July 2013 18:45
  • Last reply: Wed. 17th July 2013 21:47