OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Perennials - when to plant on into larger containers

Comment from Jasmit Kaur

I a struggling to get a helpful answer to my dilemma - I am a complete novice....

I was given some young perennials in 9cm/1L pots in March.
I potted them straight into 4L pots.
They have grown and are continuing to do so both healthy foliage and flowering now.
I notice that they may be getting root bound - can see roots through drainage hole but not grown through. I have checked they are not completely round bound yet but will need to be placed in larger containers 7.5L (It was suggested to keep potting up pot sizes slowly else there could be problems)
When is the best time to pot them into a bigger container? Now, after blooming or wait until spring?

The perennials are
yellow storksbill
tangerine coneflower
night whisper daylily
alstroemeria inca lily
potentialla arc-de-ciel

Many Thanks
Jasmit

• Views: 594
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Wed. 17th July 2013 18:29

help for newbie

Question from julie watters

hi guys i am new to gardening this year. i have spent all year growing seeds into plants and now my garden is looking very nice with lots of different colours popping through.i am planning on building a raised bed in my front garden. i will be doing this throughout autumn and winter ready for planting new plants in it in the spring. my question is can i start the seedlings in autumn winter in my greenhouse so they will be ready and big for planting in the bed. i have a big plastic walk in greenhouse that is NOT heated

• Views: 540
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 15th July 2013 17:27
  • Last reply: Wed. 17th July 2013 07:32

Help! How would you tackle 2 problem areas in my garden?

Comment from Beth

As the title says, Ithe 2 problems are:
1. I've got a grassy/reedy plant growing in my garden which is spreading and taking over! (see 2nd pic). Should I cut it low and try to dig it out?
2. One level of the garden has completely been taken over by bramble and ivy. As you can see from the first picture attached it's very tall and rather intimidating! Should I cut it back and use weed killer? There used to be a lovely lawn up there but it got neglected when I had my kids!
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
B

• Views: 851
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 11th June 2013 13:28
  • Last reply: Tue. 11th June 2013 20:34

help any ideas for a problem area

Question from Adam Byrne

I have area in my garden that is a bit of a mess. full of weeds in bare earth (fairly heavy and moist but drys out a lot in dry times). No matter how much i spray with weed killer i cant control it. The area is shaded by 3 apple trees but does get a fair amount of sun early on (its facing east so catches sun in the morning to about 3pm on a good day) I did put two raised beds in the shadiest part of the area last year and grew carrots, courgettes, peas, lettuce, parsnips and cabbages> I also planted potatoes in the bare earth and had some success despite it flooding (see picture). I would like some suggestions for things that would provide colour throughout the year and attract some wild life. also howt o prepare the area

• Views: 516
  • Posted: Thu. 6th June 2013 22:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 10th June 2013 21:44

Clematis Pruning

Comment from Mal Stuthridge

I wounder if anyone can help. I have some Clematis (not sure which variety) and was wondering whether I should prune back the thin shoots which are extending past the flowering parts. The photo attached is not the best but you can just see the bits I mean. I have looked around online and it talks about the three different groups of Clematis. I am very new to this garden (new house) and any advice/input would be much appreciated.
I have read that this would promote better flowers as it allows the plant to concentrate its energy on the flowers over the non flowering shoots.

• Views: 541
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 31st May 2013 07:31
  • Last reply: Mon. 3rd June 2013 19:43

Probably a simple question from complete novice

Question from Adam Byrne

I know this will probably make me sound very dim but could someone clarify for me what is meant by aspect. eg if it says aspect south does that mean the plant is facing south?

• Views: 468
  • Posted: Fri. 17th May 2013 22:23
  • Last reply: Tue. 21st May 2013 20:14

Fern garden...

Comment from Sonia frew

Hi, I have an area of roughly 8m x 4m that is north facing as well as being shaded by a neighbours six foot hedge and large trees and I would love to make it a fern woodland type area, I would like to be able to walk through it so a weaving path through my 4m wide plot...I have no idea about what could be achieved and how hard are ferns to care for? I am a pretty inexperienced gardener... Any suggestions?

• Views: 4006
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sun. 13th January 2013 22:12
  • Last reply: Mon. 29th April 2013 17:06

Plants to hide dustbins

Question from ALAN PRITCHARD

Hello, I have a patch of my garden which requires some form of planting to hide my dustbins. The bins are partially hidden by a trellis, but I would like something to enhance the trellis and garden as a whole. Preferably perennial or evergreen and something that would grow around 2m in height would be ideal, but not too bushy(less than 1m spread) as space is at a premium. I have cosmos there at the moment, but as they are only annuals I would require something more permanent.Any ideas or advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

• Views: 1799
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Sat. 17th November 2012 18:44
  • Last reply: Thu. 22nd November 2012 19:38

Planting perennials in October

Question from ALAN PRITCHARD

Hello, I'm fairly new to gardening. Is it ok to plant Echinacea (magic box), Aquilegia (swan mixed), Coreopsis (sunray) and Poppy ( Pizzicato) in October. I bought them around 6 weeks ago and they have been outside since in 9cm pots. They seem to be ok at the moment, but I would like to plant them out in the garden. I live near Manchester. Any suggestions or advice would be most helpful. Thank you in advance.

• Views: 559
  • Posted: Sat. 20th October 2012 13:35
  • Last reply: Sat. 20th October 2012 15:15

fence or hedge

General post from Andrew Cope

I am hopefully buying a house with 1 acre of land it has not been looked after, and there is no fence as such, what are your thoughts on what I should do, (1) put in fence panels or (2) use some form of hedge/ tree, I would want the trees to have minimum damage from roots etc when close to the house. Your recommendations would be most helpful

• Views: 484
  • Posted: Tue. 9th October 2012 14:09
  • Last reply: Wed. 10th October 2012 09:09