OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Gladioli

Question from Sue West

Hi, I planted some gladioli in march, and they sent up shoots after a week or so, but as yet they have not shown any sign of flowers. I just wondered if, as it is their first year in the ground, are they likely to flower this year or will it be in their second year? Also, I understand with many bulbs, you are supposed to leave the leaves so that the 'goodness' can go back to the bulb, does the same apply with all bulbs or do they differ?

• Views: 856
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 13th June 2012 00:14
  • Last reply: Wed. 13th June 2012 08:14

I fell in love and bought it

Question from David Keyte

Can anyone identify this small (at the moment) shrub, almost needle like bronze leaves beautiful red/pink flowers, the Guy who I bought it from could not remember the name. I have posted some photos

• Views: 900
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 29th April 2012 17:20
  • Last reply: Thu. 10th May 2012 13:08

Plant identification - help please!

Question from SunshineNat

Hello!
Having moved house in December I am still trying to identify the plants that were left behind, and now springing to life! This one has me particularly stumped (well my Mum really! She managed to tell me most of the others!)
When I dug down to try to plant some spring bulbs I found patterened coned-shaped bulbs. They have now grown to nearly a meter in height in about a month. The stems have an unusual pattern, kind of a stretched version of the bulbs. I have no idea what the flowers will be like, & would wait patiently but 1) not sure if I have to move the surrounding plants again, 2) not sure if I should tie it back/stake it & 3) my mother has no patience!
Any help would be very welcome!
Cheers, Nat

• Views: 902
  • Posted: Mon. 16th April 2012 15:24
  • Last reply: Tue. 17th April 2012 08:33

Planting in winter

Question from Clare

As asked the plant I have is Wintersweet. Please help, am I OK to plant it now as it's so young and I do't want the frost to kill it off before it's even had chance to grow or shoul I be doing something else with it.

• Views: 787
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 8th December 2011 19:19
  • Last reply: Thu. 8th December 2011 19:27

Planting in winter

Question from Clare

Please help. I have a new baby plant that is hardy and flowers in winter however, when do I plant it as it very young and I don't want the frost to kill it if I plant it now but it's also not looking very good in it's pot at the moment the leaves have gone very brown and are starting to drop off.

• Views: 506
  • Posted: Wed. 7th December 2011 19:27
  • Last reply: Thu. 8th December 2011 17:11

Shrubs and plants for east facing bed under tree

Comment from Mrs J Selig

Triangular east facing bed under silver birch tree, buildings to south and west, very little, if any sunlight. Skimmia hanging in there, also oak hydranger and 2 hellibores. Should we just give up and pave the area?

• Views: 1452
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 1st November 2011 09:11
  • Last reply: Tue. 29th November 2011 16:20

Climbing?Rambling? Rose with big hips

Question from Mrs J Selig

Inherited beautiful bright pink rose, flowers just once in early summer, growing in full sun up house wall, 10 ft high has now beautiful large orange hips. I've been tiold to remove them as they will stop plant making good flowers next year - to remove or not to remove???

• Views: 655
  • Posted: Tue. 1st November 2011 08:50
  • Last reply: Tue. 1st November 2011 12:22

How to Train a Chaenomeles speciosa 'Geisha Girl?

Question from Sue Owens

hello, I'm fairly new to gardening and I've recently bought a Chaenomeles speciosa 'Geisha Girl which I would like to train to grow onto a wall (fan shape). I've planted it about 40 cm from the wall, fixed some horizontal wires across the wall behind it and now I don't know what to do next.

The plant is just over the height of the first wire (30 cm). Do I wait until next year before I start fixing it to the wires? When and how do I prune it?

I'd really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

• Views: 1466
  • Posted: Sat. 15th October 2011 11:40
  • Last reply: Sun. 30th October 2011 19:46

Setting up a 'tropical' urban balcony garden

Question from briony campbell

Hello, I'd love some advice on planting tropical plants on my London balcony. It's unusually big at 10m x 3m, but East facing so only has sun until midday. I excitedly bought a lot of plants that I love, but are really suited to warmer climes (though I have seen growing in London happily). I wanted climbers to cover the brick walls, so bought Bouganvillia, Passion Flower, and Solanum. So now I'm wondering if I'm being over optimistic, or whether with the right care these plants will succeed. I also have bananna plants which I've grown well indoors and wondering about planting them outside. And a new fig tree. If anyone has the experience to tell me how best to pot them and where, ie which of them need the sunniest spot or sheltered spot I'd be so grateful for any help. Thanks in advance! Briony

• Views: 574
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 20th August 2011 15:26

butterfly bush

Question from emma

having spent the past 2 years trying desperately to clear my very over grown garden, i have found some plants that id like to keep, but are now in the wrong place, i have a fairly big butterfly bush and need advice on how to move it. would it be better to uproot it, or take some clippings and try to regrow it?

• Views: 870
  • Posted: Tue. 26th July 2011 10:50
  • Last reply: Wed. 27th July 2011 18:08