OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Hydrangea Help!

Question from Beth

Hi, I'm a complete garden novice! My hydrangea which has been quite happy and flowered well for the last 10 years has this year got many less flowers, on closer inspection there are white deposits mainly on the undersides of the leaves and a few on the branches, they look like marshmallows - and of the same sticky consistency! Any ideas of what this is and what to do? Also, when should I cut out the dead wood? Thanks for any help.

• Views: 661
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 2nd July 2011 20:32
  • Last reply: Sun. 3rd July 2011 06:30

Acer

Question from Clare

I planted my Acer two years ago and I've now noticed it's bending over quite dramatically about five inches above where the support finishes so it's now not getting anymore height. Is this normal and if not how do I stop it from doing it.

• Views: 548
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 2nd July 2011 17:15
  • Last reply: Tue. 5th July 2011 21:31

Planting bulbs

Question from Julie

I have lots of daffodil bulbs in storage that I dug up from the garden last year when clearing some borders. I'm now planting up some new borders and wondered if it's OK to plant the bulbs now whilst it's easy to access between perennials, or whether I should wait until the usual bulb planting time in the Autumn?

• Views: 581
  • Posted: Mon. 13th June 2011 19:05
  • Last reply: Mon. 13th June 2011 19:13

salvia purple rain

Question from Andy

Help, we have 8rder young purple rains for a sunny border. Where should they go, front middle or back and should we clump them together ?any help would be great.

• Views: 648
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 28th May 2011 13:46
  • Last reply: Sun. 29th May 2011 19:09

salvia purple rain

Question from Andy

Help, we have 8rder young purple rains for a sunny border. Where should they go, front middle or back and should we clump them together ?any help would be great.

• Views: 582
  • Posted: Sat. 28th May 2011 13:45
  • Last reply: Sat. 25th June 2011 22:53

North East facing garden

Question from maria barton

Hi All
Just got a new garden. I live in the North East coast of Ireland and have a 50ft back garden. 24ft Raised flower bed to the side is made of railway sleepers (backdrop is fence) and is East facing (therefore no or partial sun). (clay soil) I'm on the search for plants that will survive these conditions. So far I have Potentilla scrub, perennial Aquilegia, dwarf lilly Hemorocallis and irises (absolutely love irises). Really like long stemed flowers. Has anyone any suggestions as to what I can add to cheer it up. I see people with lot masses of flowers splattered over the garden (like a messy look) but don't know what will survive.

• Views: 2084
  • Posted: Fri. 20th May 2011 10:20
  • Last reply: Fri. 20th May 2011 13:25

How to increase drainage?

Question from Katrine

Hi
I'm a complete new comer to gardening, and think I've had my first disaster:(
All my plants are in containers with good all round compost, yesterday I was unable to water them myself, and my mother did it for me. Today I took the containers out of their cold frames and all were sodden:(
I suspect the problem is two fold - I think they were over watered, but I'm also concerned that I haven't arranged enough drainage in the containers.
Does anyone have any advice? are the plants likely to survive?
and how do you increase drainage potential?

Many thanks for any help or tips
Katrine

• Views: 784
  • Posted: Sun. 24th April 2011 20:27
  • Last reply: Mon. 25th April 2011 11:57

I would like some help please

General post from Mo

I would like some help starting a compost bin please.....
Where do i start ?? im very new to gardening
Thank you :)

• Views: 658
  • Posted: Mon. 28th March 2011 20:42
  • Last reply: Tue. 29th March 2011 21:05

Pruning new hedges

Question from Candy Blackham

I am about to plant new hedging which is a mix of indigenous plants - Acer, hawthorn, spindle tree, wild sloe, cherry plum, viburnum opulus and the field rose - do I need to prune any of these to encourage bushing? And secondly, I have inherited some yew hedging which is about two years old - am I correct in thinking I need to keep the leading shoot and trim (cut back) the side shoots?

• Views: 62468
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Tue. 15th March 2011 18:17
  • Last reply: Thu. 28th August 2014 08:34

Bergenias

Question from Candy Blackham

I like bergenias and in my new garden I intend planting Bergenia Silberlicht for the white, early flowers, and the following for the deep red/purple leaf colour in the winter
Bergenia 'Admiral'
Bergenia 'Abendglocken' or 'Abendglut' - there doesn't seem to be agreement on the name
Bergenia 'Rosa Schwester'
Have I chosen the best varieties for my purposes?

• Views: 863
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 10th March 2011 10:28
  • Last reply: Wed. 16th March 2011 22:36