OK
In progress indicator

New to gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 114

Lonicera fragrantissima in blossom indoors

Question from lana

During recent cold weather (beginning of December 2010) i took a pot with my winter honeysuckle indoors. It now has flowers. The scent is one of the lily of the valley! I am delighted, but worried if it can live its "normal" seasonal cycle later in spring, when i have it taken outdoors again.

• Views: 826
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Wed. 15th December 2010 03:29
  • Last reply: Wed. 15th December 2010 05:41

Bamboo Confusion

Question from Kathryn Layard

Reading through another post I don't think I am the only one confused about Bamboo in pots. I moved to a house with a small garden this year and bought Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima' + Phyllostachys aureosulcata f. aureocaulis + Nigra thinking they could all live in containers and not realising that this is suggested only for a short while and even then they need potting to bigger and bigger pots and their roots axed through to keep the culm small. I am thinking therefore of selling on the above and buying some Fargesia bamboos and planting them straight in the border. The border is west facing not very wide about 2 foot and fenced can anyone suggest which Fargesias to go for given that I only want 2 in this border and they will be the only interest in my garden appart from the container grown acers and a few pots of colourful perennials. I would like Fargesias that are as upright as possible as space is limited thanks.

• Views: 1942
  • Replies: 10
  • Posted: Fri. 24th September 2010 09:57
  • Last reply: Thu. 30th September 2010 12:53

Begonia propagation

Comment from Lesley Deakin

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to preserve my lovely begonias please? I wold like to have them again next year in my hanging baskets.
Thank you.
Lesley

• Views: 822
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Wed. 22nd September 2010 08:30
  • Last reply: Thu. 23rd September 2010 08:33

Suggestions for terrazzo containers (contemporary style)

Question from Mrs Holst

Hi there

We are very close to finishing our garden, I have attached a photo to show its work in progress style.

This coming week we will be putting a stone step positioned below and inbetween the two bay trees, next to this step both left and right we will build sleeper troughs, I believe we will plant garden herbs (possibly) into these.

Where the back fence is, we are putting 3 black terrazzo troughs (they match the bay tree containers) (70cm long, 40 cm high, 27 depth).

Our garden is southeast facing - the back gets quite a bit of sun in the afternoon, at summer's peak it has sun until 7pm, autumn until around 5pm, winter not so sure.

I am trying to get some inspiration on what to put into these pots - does anyone have any suggestions? Our style is contemporary - also we have children so they have to be fairly child friendly. And anything I can plant between now and early October would be useful.

Also I am a beginner so something that is fairly hardy.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

• Views: 774
  • Posted: Mon. 6th September 2010 20:54
  • Last reply: Tue. 7th September 2010 23:52

Help removing invasive tropical grass plant

Question from Francis Callaghan

Can anyone help me with some information on how I can remove a large tropical grass like plant that is invading my entire garden?

A few years back I didn't have much growing in my garden (I am VERY new to gardening) and I noticed some shoots growing on one of my borders. I let them grow and it turned out to be a tropical grass type plant. It flourished to the point where it got to approx a meter and a half high and covered about three metres of my border!
I have cut it back vigerously to just three large root balls - but I haven't a clue how to get rid of these. Is there anything I can apply that will kill them off? I have tried to disect the root ball with a spade prior to digging up - but the spade just bounces off as the root ball is so dense!
Also, worrying, tiny clumps of offshoots have started appearing in other parts of my garden....any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Views: 2428
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 4th August 2010 14:07
  • Last reply: Sat. 7th August 2010 09:57

Forsythia Propagation

Question from Lesley Deakin

Hi

I'm not exactly new to gardening just completely rubbish at it.

I took some forsythia cuttings from my mom's garden and followed the bbc gardening guide on how to do it to the letter! However, 2 hours later they are wilting and showing signs of rapid death already lol. Did I take them too early? Does anyolne know where I went wrong?

this years growth
6" long
cut just below leaf joint
removed lower leaves
posted in small pot using rooting powder/compost/watered/covered/in green house

looking dead already :(

Thank you
Lesley

• Views: 799
  • Posted: Thu. 29th July 2010 16:51
  • Last reply: Thu. 23rd September 2010 08:43

Crispy Acer

Comment from Susan Byng

Hello everyone.
I have a Japenese Acer and it has completely gone to crisp.I know the hot weather has been a bit unkind of late but my Acer has no green at all.I have moved it around the garden for heat,cool and wind free but it looks very poorly.It was ok in the Spring.It is lovely compost and in a patio pot.All help please.

• Views: 728
  • Posted: Sun. 25th July 2010 21:43
  • Last reply: Tue. 27th July 2010 19:04

Best evergreens for fence above the pond

Question from Joanne

Hello guys
I am new here and am eager to seek your help and advice.
I would like to plant an evergreen plant(s) on my south-facing fence over my new pond/ waterfall. The site is in the corner (the other side is east-facing). In the very corner I intend to plant a red-berried pyracantha, which will in time close the entry spot into my garden to all marauding cats (sorry cat lovers - but I really do not like cats using my garden for toilet purposes). For the remaining 2 south-facing panels I was considering the following;
1. - Clematis armmandii (?)
2. - Evergreen carpenteria californica
3. - Ceanothus
My questions are:
- is carpenteria californica an easy plant to train(?) along the fence and how "fragrant" are the flowers (never seen it, just the photos!)
- which form of ceanothus would be the best for training on the fence
- any other plant worth considering
There are few requirements which I consider quite important: the plants really need to be evergreen as do not wish to look on bare fence plus no leave drop into pond, with fragrant flowers (summer), interesting leaves (i.e. variegated, different shades of green, so the fence does not look monotone) and if possible with more than one season of interest.
I would be most grateful for any suggestions/ ideas.
BTW - the garden is in SW London
Thank you
Joanne

• Views: 3258
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Wed. 7th July 2010 23:22
  • Last reply: Sun. 12th September 2010 21:12

Why do my dianthus buds fall off?

Question from Katie Harwood

I have a dianthus whatfield can-can, which I planted in early May. It had a few small buds on it when I bought it, but a few weeks later all except one fell off, just when they looked about to open. I had one lovely flower open up. Then it budded again, and a week ago most of those also fell off. What's going on?

• Views: 1192
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd July 2010 19:14
  • Last reply: Wed. 7th July 2010 11:38

Specimen conifers

Question from charles ward

Hi
Could anyone help with a few suggestions? I have been given two conifers, one a Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'the other a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Pottenii' and told they reach a maximum height of 3m.

I would like to add four different specimens to this group, all conical in shape, all different colours and all around the 3m height mark, I realise this is a lot to hope for but is there anything that may fit the bill?

Many thanks Charles

• Views: 791
  • Posted: Fri. 25th June 2010 16:24
  • Last reply: Wed. 30th June 2010 18:58