OK
In progress indicator

Recommended products

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 23

Strulch to use or not - definitely yes

General post from Gill Greetham

In July 2014 I posted asking for any views on Strulch. To cut a long story short, well I eventually bought some last spring and having used it for nearly a year thought it relevant to report back for anyone interested or considering buying this product.
It is very briefly - a light and easy to use garden mulch made from wheat straw for organic gardening. A patented process is used to ‘preserve’ the straw so that it lasts for up to two years and gives an earthy brown colour. Strulch has a neutral pH and can be used throughout the garden on borders, raised beds, around cultivated fruit and on vegetable plots.
It is really rather good and does everything it says it does, keeps weeds down and deters snails and slugs, feeds the soil under it, retains moisture in the dry spells. it isn't cheap but that said it isn't expensive if you weigh up the pros and cons including the fact it lasts at least two years. It works out as follows - 25 x 150 litre bags will cover up to 110 square metres.
Price per bag: £8.88
Weight per bag: 13.5kg
Please understand I have no financial or corporate interest in this company this is just a review from one amateur gardener to this group.

• Views: 514
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 18th February 2016 20:27
  • Last reply: Fri. 19th February 2016 10:49

Algae removal from fence

Question from meadowland

would like to know how to remove algae from a recently painted fence and when to do this please.

• Views: 547
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 21st January 2015 10:43
  • Last reply: Wed. 21st January 2015 17:05

glass test tubes

Question from Gill Greetham

Anyone know where I can source some glass test tubes ideally about 20mm wide for the purpose of propogating cuttings, tried ebay but not the right size...any help would b appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Views: 505
  • Posted: Sat. 9th August 2014 13:02
  • Last reply: Wed. 8th February 2017 19:22

Advice on Phormium please

Question from Gitana

Hello. I'm looking for upright habit and manageable size (about 1m high) variety of Phormium to plant on the 60cm wide border along the fence to accompany bamboos on the other side. It is confusing as different websites seems to be giving different spread/height information about the same Phormium varieties. Would be grateful if someone could advice which Phormium suits best for this.

Thanks.
Gita

• Views: 478
  • Posted: Mon. 16th June 2014 11:04
  • Last reply: Fri. 27th June 2014 11:31

Saving Plan

Question from Tina

having spent all afternoon planning my garden Tried to save says can't save with token provided. Never had a problem before. Can anyone help please don't want to loose all my hard work

• Views: 531
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 25th January 2014 16:20
  • Last reply: Mon. 27th January 2014 13:10

should I cut back my clematis?

Question from Naz Goddard

I have heard that you should cut back a clematis at the base in the autumn. This will create a stronger and more prolific growth next year. I usually do nothing.

What is the best advice please?

• Views: 3408
  • Posted: Fri. 15th November 2013 08:00
  • Last reply: Mon. 18th November 2013 21:44

Air Layer Juniper

Question from Iggy Prodromou

Hi,
I have a Blue Juniper bush that is in the way but do not wish to up root and throw away. Instead I want to air-layer a section to keep as a Bonsai. Any idea what is best time of year to do the layer?

• Views: 424
  • Posted: Thu. 31st October 2013 13:15
  • Last reply: Sat. 2nd November 2013 08:23

Tomato Blossom End Rot

Comment from Les Trewinnard

Hi
I purchased the Hozelock 2810 Growbag watering system in order to grow tomatoes this year. I used a new Levingtons Tomorite growbag and planted 2 x plum tomato plants and 1 x Moneymaker plant.
I was rather disappointed to suffer Tomato Blossom End Rot as I had thought the growbag would have provided the necessary nutrients (including calcium) and the watering system would have supplied sufficient moisture to the growbag.
Is there anything else I should have done to avoid the Blossom End Rot?
Many thanks
Les

• Views: 556
  • Posted: Tue. 22nd October 2013 10:22
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd October 2013 14:43

pruning evergreen oaks

Question from John Weston

I have a Quercus Rysophylla ( Mexican evergreen oak) which was planted 3 years ago. It is growing well but has a thin trunk, now standing at about 10ft tall. It is well-staked but is being buffeted by autumn winds. I can find no information about pruning but feel that it needs to be reduced to prevent damage . Any suggestions about timing please?

• Views: 1044
  • Posted: Mon. 21st October 2013 13:01
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd October 2013 22:06

white powder on soil

Photo from Terry Baldwin

I have noticed a white powdery substance on the soil surface in my blueberry containers. Is this a residue from additives or could it be a pest or similar problem? Thanks for any help.
Terry

• Views: 601
  • Posted: Tue. 24th September 2013 17:21
  • Last reply: Wed. 9th October 2013 16:01