OK
In progress indicator

Edible gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 147

Advice on mint care?

General post from GreenBeen

Hi!

I was given a mint plant a day or two ago, and it's looking- well. Rather peaky. I've posted pictures at the end of this message.

The leaves are curled, very dry, and often full of holes. The plant as a whole seems to have gone spindly, as though it hasn't been getting enough sunlight. It lived outside until it was given to me, and now lives in the kitchen (we have no garden space), a room kept relatively cold and without much direct sunlight. The soil is composted and kept damp.

If anyone has any advice on how to care for this plant, to make it healthy and safe to eat, I would really appreciate it!

• Views: 72
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sat. 31st October 2020 10:09
  • Last reply: Sun. 1st November 2020 08:45

Sweet potato

Question from Adam Byrne

My first time growing sweet potatoes : do you treat them like normal potatoes and earth them up or just plant them in a deep containe

• Views: 143
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Mon. 1st June 2020 22:16

Help please identifying this bush?

Question from Alice Crick

Hi there, we moved into our property at the end of last year, and in the pretty empty (aside from some rhubarb) veg patch, there are two gnarly, spiky bushes. I wonder if they're gooseberries, but am pretty new to gardening! Any pointers on what they are would be really appreciated! Thank you

• Views: 218
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Thu. 27th February 2020 09:08
  • Last reply: Sun. 1st March 2020 23:04

Lab lab beans

Comment from Ruth

Can anyone suggest why my lab lab beans have not flowered? I planted some outside and some in pots in the greenhouse. The plants in both places are flourishing. The weather has been average summer weather, sunshine, rain and temperatures. Tomatoes and cucumbers near them inside and out have done well.

• Views: 400
  • Posted: Thu. 14th September 2017 11:05

why have my tomatoes not ripened?

Question from Pat Palmer

With the exception of half a dozen, none of my tomatoes have ripened even though they have been in my greenhouse and watered every day, and fed with pellet in soil plus occasional liquid feed. Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

• Views: 248
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 12th September 2017 10:52
  • Last reply: Fri. 17th January 2020 13:05

Help please

Question from Julie

Please can anyone tell me what is wrong with my runner beans. I usually grow them in the garden and have no problems but this year I have put them in a large pation tub. They started off fine growing and flowering but now they look poorly, they are not cropping properly, there are just little stumps where the beans should be as in the photo. The leaves are sparse and discoloured and then falling off. I cannot see any creatures on them. All help gratefully recieved.

• Views: 269
  • Posted: Wed. 9th August 2017 16:58

growing fruit from scratch

Question from rita broadhead

Can plums be grown be either planting the stone or are there seeds inside the stone which can be retrieved? Thanks for any reply.

• Views: 273
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 30th July 2017 16:35
  • Last reply: Tue. 9th July 2019 17:07

Can you extend the height of an already established espalier?

Question from Malvern David

I bought an espalier apple tree a few years back and have been growing it against the house wall. I have more height available to me than it's currently taking up and wondered how easy is it to train the tree in such a way that I can add additional branches above where they are at present. (ie can I train the top that is currently bent over to form the top horizontal branch to go vertical and then get horizontals off that?) Many thanks

• Views: 275
  • Posted: Tue. 27th June 2017 11:51

Young nectarine and tangerine care

Question from Ainsley Brand

I have a young nectarine (approx) 4 years old, that has a lot of small fruit this year. It is it's second fruiting year (last year there was only 2 fruits that didn't mature) We are in southern Spain, and the tree is outside. Should I remove a lot of the current fruit, and how many should I leave to mature. The same question applies to a young tangerine, that is currently in flower.

• Views: 383
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 16th April 2017 08:04
  • Last reply: Fri. 13th March 2020 12:26

Pollinating Partners

Question from Lorraine Spooner

Could anyone please advise whether a fruiting pear such as Beurre Hardy can be pollinated by an ornamental pear, such as Pyrus salicifolia or Pyrus eleagnifolia, which also blossom and produce fruit (which are not edible).
Thank you very much.

• Views: 346
  • Posted: Wed. 1st February 2017 14:59