OK
In progress indicator

Edible gardening

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 144

Lab lab beans

Comment from Ruth

Can anyone suggest why my lab lab beans have not flowered? I planted some outside and some in pots in the greenhouse. The plants in both places are flourishing. The weather has been average summer weather, sunshine, rain and temperatures. Tomatoes and cucumbers near them inside and out have done well.

• Views: 34
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 14th September 2017 11:05

why have my tomatoes not ripened?

Question from Pat Palmer

With the exception of half a dozen, none of my tomatoes have ripened even though they have been in my greenhouse and watered every day, and fed with pellet in soil plus occasional liquid feed. Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

• Views: 24
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 12th September 2017 10:52
  • Last reply: Tue. 12th September 2017 20:26

Help please

Question from Julie

Please can anyone tell me what is wrong with my runner beans. I usually grow them in the garden and have no problems but this year I have put them in a large pation tub. They started off fine growing and flowering but now they look poorly, they are not cropping properly, there are just little stumps where the beans should be as in the photo. The leaves are sparse and discoloured and then falling off. I cannot see any creatures on them. All help gratefully recieved.

• Views: 40
  • Posted: Wed. 9th August 2017 16:58

growing fruit from scratch

Question from rita broadhead

Can plums be grown be either planting the stone or are there seeds inside the stone which can be retrieved? Thanks for any reply.

• Views: 32
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 30th July 2017 16:35
  • Last reply: Fri. 4th August 2017 09:46

Can you extend the height of an already established espalier?

Question from Malvern David

I bought an espalier apple tree a few years back and have been growing it against the house wall. I have more height available to me than it's currently taking up and wondered how easy is it to train the tree in such a way that I can add additional branches above where they are at present. (ie can I train the top that is currently bent over to form the top horizontal branch to go vertical and then get horizontals off that?) Many thanks

• Views: 50
  • Posted: Tue. 27th June 2017 11:51

Young nectarine and tangerine care

Question from Ainsley Brand

I have a young nectarine (approx) 4 years old, that has a lot of small fruit this year. It is it's second fruiting year (last year there was only 2 fruits that didn't mature) We are in southern Spain, and the tree is outside. Should I remove a lot of the current fruit, and how many should I leave to mature. The same question applies to a young tangerine, that is currently in flower.

• Views: 104
  • Posted: Sun. 16th April 2017 08:04

Pollinating Partners

Question from Lorraine Spooner

Could anyone please advise whether a fruiting pear such as Beurre Hardy can be pollinated by an ornamental pear, such as Pyrus salicifolia or Pyrus eleagnifolia, which also blossom and produce fruit (which are not edible).
Thank you very much.

• Views: 114
  • Posted: Wed. 1st February 2017 14:59

Cooking with Rhubarb

Comment from Nic Wilson

Hi, I've spent the past couple of weeks cooking with all the rhubarb which just keeps coming from the garden and allotment. Here are my recipes - does anyone else have ideas of what to do with all that rhubarb?

Check out the recipes at https://dogwooddays.net

• Views: 292
  • Posted: Sat. 25th June 2016 10:37

Swapping compost.

Question from Hazel Smales

My tomato plants are ready to be planted into their final large pots. They are currently in John Innes compost. I have a lot of general purpose compost and am considering mixing this with John Innes No 3. Does anybody know if altering the growing medium in this way could be detrimental?

• Views: 234
  • Posted: Tue. 31st May 2016 07:21

Can Anouk Lavendar be used in tea, cooking, oils, etc

Question from Ken

I intended to purchase English Lavender plants with the intention of harvesting the lavender for tea, to distill essential oils from, and use as an air freshener. The person that went to pick them up for me got Anouk Lavender instead. I'm wondering if I should return them & get English Lavender or just plant what I have?

• Views: 241
  • Posted: Fri. 29th April 2016 00:57