OK
In progress indicator

General

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

We have had a lot of strong feedback on our Instagram and Facebook pages on our communities feelings about recycling plant pots. If you have a comment, know anyone who needs plant pots or if you know garden centres or plant nurseries which accept back plant pots, please share here. Thank you!

Total number of topics in this forum: 723

Rhododendrons flowered and then petals all fell off

Question from angela

Hi, wondered anyone might know why this has happened please.

I bought two Rhododendrons last year and they flowered fine. This year however they flowered a couple of weeks ago and then within a week all the petals looked a bit sorry for themselves and all fell off. I have a North facing garden and they are against a wall. It has been windy weather for a while with rain but awful for them to only last a week.

• Views: 85
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 7th June 2022 12:19

Rudbeckia - pink roots

Question from NICOLA BLYTH

Can anyone tell me what on earth I have done to my Rudbeckia seedlings this year?
Thanks

• Views: 141
  • Posted: Sun. 29th May 2022 14:47

Looking for Royal Robe Solanum Rantonnetii seeds or clippings.

Question from MICHELLE SENYCH

A friend of mine gave me clippings to this plant many many yrs ago which I propagated successfully and grew into Topiaries & set them out in the summer months. . I live in Alberta Canada & Unfortunately, a few yrs ago an unexpected hard frost at end of August killed all of them, lord knows I tried to save them. Since that time I have tried to buy the plant but can't find it. I knew if I had the seeds I could be successful, however finding them was like trying to find teeth in a chicken (chickens don't have teeth) nor were there any seeds online. I tried different sites even in other countries where they grow annually to no avail. There is a lot of information about this plant & pictures, but no offerring or sale of seeds. So if anyone on this forum knows where I can find these seeds, I'd welcome any leads or information as to where I can get these seeds or clippings. Thanks

• Views: 100
  • Posted: Mon. 4th April 2022 22:43

Brenda Colvin Rose

Question from Andrew Finlay McDiarmid

Hi. Does anyone know where I can purchase a Brenda Colvin Rose Plant/Bush/Root? I am looking for this to be a centrepiece to a remembrance area we are creating in our garden in memory of our beloved and sadly-departed family pet, Brenda the Bassett Hound. Many thanks. Andrew

• Views: 91
  • Posted: Tue. 15th March 2022 14:31

Cutting Back Mature Climbers

Question from Alex McLellan

Recent Winds have "disturbed" the Archways upon which my climbers are well established. They were already becoming top heavy especially the Jasmin. I now need to replace the 18 year old posts/archways, but it will be impossible to thread the new posts/rails between all the old growth.

Objectives:-
1. Replace posts and rails.
2. Cut back far enough to achieve Obj 1 but not kill off the climbers.

Q. How far back can I cut the climbers, Half the height, One third or is it dependent on the plant?

• Views: 76
  • Posted: Sat. 26th February 2022 13:13

Old clematis pruning

Question from Nikki Griffith

When I moved her e in 2019 I inherited these two clematis that were overtaking the garden. They had a good prune and for the last two years I have pruned them but they do need a weekly ‘haircut’ to stop them overtaking again. My question is – how hard can I prune them please? Or do I continue with these birds nests of clematis. These photos were taken last Friday.

• Views: 159
  • Posted: Mon. 31st January 2022 10:41

I have inherited two old clematis and am not sure how much I should prune them back.

Question from Nikki Griffith

I have inherited two old clematis (about 30-40 years old I think) and am not sure how much I should prune them back. When I moved here in 2019 they were overtaking the garden and were pruned back and for the last two years they have had a good prune but not a drastic one but they do need keeping under control with a 'haircut' every week to stop them overtaking the garden. Can I prune them back really hard and if so, how hard or do I continue with what I am doing now. These photos were taken on Friday. Advice please!

• Views: 100
  • Posted: Mon. 31st January 2022 10:36

Hydrangea colors

Question from Chelsie Orr

Which hydrangrea varietal is the darkest blue (in acidic soil or otherwise)?
Which is the darket purple?

Thank you!

• Views: 130
  • Posted: Mon. 27th September 2021 14:35

Shrub/hedge for a west facing bed

Question from Victoria Church

I am looking for a medium to small shrub/hedge that will do well in a west facing walled bed. The house stands about 30’ in front of the bed so shades it late afternoon. Anything I have planted there grows incredibly slowly, if at all. Suggestions welcome!

• Views: 97
  • Posted: Fri. 24th September 2021 13:08

Ash die back

General post from mrs finch

The listing for weeping ash says no general disease, is it not susceptible to ash die back?

I know there is a forum for disease but there does not seem to be much activity there

• Views: 97
  • Posted: Sun. 29th August 2021 08:25