OK
In progress indicator

General

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 655

Plant Identification

General post from Barrie Davis

I am unfamiliar with this fast growing plant which appears to have come in with the soil of some bought bedding plants. What have I got please?

• Views: 4
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 17th July 2018 12:51

Planting in dry clay soil

Question from Gwen Bragg

Now I have cut down my perennials I have a lot of bare soil. I can't plant anything as the clay soil is too hard

• Views: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 16th July 2018 10:39

Pruning group 1

Question from Lynley Ball

What do you have to think about if a plant is in Pruning group 1

• Views: 14
  • Posted: Sun. 17th June 2018 02:52

July onwards perennials

General post from Brenda Kain

What would you suggest for July onwards flowering perennials. Size doesn’t matter!

• Views: 22
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Tue. 12th June 2018 08:17
  • Last reply: Sat. 16th June 2018 21:00

Plant recommendation please

Question from Pauline S

I have a half standard 'Red Robin' tree which is doing very well. Due to my maturing years, I find it extremely difficult to weed under the tree and as a novice gardener, I was wondering if someone could recommend to me a ground cover plant which would grow beneath. The position of the garden is North therefore it is in the shade most of the time. Many thanks for your time.

• Views: 10
  • Posted: Mon. 11th June 2018 11:46

Black Ants eating rose buds

Question from fleet

All I can find on Google is the obvious. " Ants don't eat roses but go after the Aphids that do"
Being aware of this I have made certain my roses are aphid free. I don't like to spray but admit to using 'Rose Clear' to rid my plants of infection, verified by careful inspection.
Despite this, on a number of buds I have found swarms of ants (small black ants) embedded into the buds and half the bud eaten away.
Has anyone else had this?

• Views: 12
  • Posted: Sat. 9th June 2018 12:41

Rose problem

Question from Marion Faust

Can anyone help me with this problem. I planted this Gertrude Jeckel rose last Autumn and it is doing really well and has flowered beautifully. However, the leaves are developing these markings and some lower down are almost going white. It is not powdery mildew. Previously in the spot there was a large conifer which we removed. We dug a large whole and filled it with Rose and shrub compost when we planted the rose. The soil in the rest of the garden is very alkaline.

• Views: 16
  • Posted: Tue. 5th June 2018 20:59

Cornish Gardeners - open your garden to help local Wildlife!

General post from stephen howe

The Cornwall Wildlife Trust aims to open around 12 gardens, mainly privately owned, between April and September each year to raise funds to continue the Trust’s work in managing wildlife reserves, conservation projects and educational events.
We are always looking for new gardens to add to our register and are currently sourcing gardens to open for 2019. Our approach is to make the event as easy as possible for the garden owners, so all stewarding, signage, car parking, catering and organising is managed by Trust volunteers. Our only requirement of the Owners (apart from the garden looking presentable on the day!) is sufficient nearby space to park about 50 cars, and access to basic kitchen facilities where teas and refreshments can be prepared. The event takes place on Sundays usually between 2.00 and 5.00pm.

If you think your garden might be suitable for opening and would be interested in helping we would love to hear from you. Email: stephen.howe@cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk
Or phone:
01872 571925

The Cornwall Wildlife Trust is the leading local wildlife charity working to protect Cornwall's wildlife and wild places. We have helped people enjoy nature for over 50 years. We are passionate about nature conservation and work only in Cornwall, so all money raised in Cornwall stays in Cornwall.

• Views: 13
  • Posted: Fri. 1st June 2018 11:17

Can anyone identify these plants?

Photo from Ciara

Can anyone tell me what these plants are? Started coming up April time I think. They haven’t flowered, and there are several of them in a group. They look a little like leeks to me but there is no scent from their leaves. We’ve not long moved into the house, but there was a veg patch quite close to where these plants are

• Views: 24
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 25th May 2018 18:53
  • Last reply: Sat. 26th May 2018 08:47

Wisteria not flowering

Comment from Clare Jeffries

After four years of watching my wisteria each spring and getting disappointed due to it not showing any sign of flowering, should I just bin it? I got it from Burford garden centre and paid a small fortune but I am bored of looking at its leaves now. If I move it will it flower or is it a duff?

• Views: 21
  • Posted: Mon. 21st May 2018 20:18