OK
In progress indicator

General

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

We have had a lot of strong feedback on our Instagram and Facebook pages on our communities feelings about recycling plant pots. If you have a comment, know anyone who needs plant pots or if you know garden centres or plant nurseries which accept back plant pots, please share here. Thank you!

Total number of topics in this forum: 697

Recommend a make of gardening tool

Comment from Joanne 9919

Have you found a particular make of gardening tool is better than another?

I am going to buy a new border spade and border fork and would like recommendations of makes.

I have looked at Joseph Bentley ones, and their border fork has just come top in one of the gardening magazines trials.

They do look well made, but would like recommendations before I take the plunge.

Jo.

• Views: 651
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Thu. 19th March 2009 14:03

One for the ladies

Comment from Joanne 9919

When doing any digging, I find the spade quite heavy to use.

Do any of you ladies use a border spade for digging and if so, do you find it easier? I don't have a border spade, only a full sized one, so I'm wondering whether to invest.

Jo.

• Views: 620
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Wed. 18th March 2009 12:36
  • Last reply: Sun. 22nd March 2009 21:24

Busy Weekend

Comment from Joanne 9919

I had a busy weekend pricking out seedlings and sowing more seed. Also, I bought my small pond (as can be seen on the Gardening For Wildlife forum), so my hubby started digging out the border for that.

I love this time of year when it's so busy and the windowsills are filling up fast!

What gardening have you done over the weekend?

Jo.

• Views: 618
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 16th March 2009 07:44
  • Last reply: Wed. 18th March 2009 12:16

lilac

Question from susan welch

I have 2 lilac (syringia) trees and have had no flowers for the last two years only lots of leaves. can anyone advise what I can do to sort the problem out. I asked at garden centres 1 said to feed and the other one said dont feed so I am totally at a loss to know what is best.

• Views: 654
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sun. 15th March 2009 19:02
  • Last reply: Thu. 9th April 2009 18:00

"ye olde woldy"

Question from Armine John Hutt

I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm sure at one time on TV or I heard someone say it, that you can use "Yogurt" to create that patina look on garden statues and such like? Is this true or have I dreamt it sometime?

I have a pond with a newly built water-fall and rockery and would like to get that "ye olde woldy" look to it. Like it's been there for 30 to 50 years or more... Does smearing old yogurt on everything do the trick?

Regards,

Armine John Hutt.
www.fluffle-valve.co.uk

• Views: 778
  • Replies: 5
  • Posted: Sat. 14th March 2009 09:10
  • Last reply: Thu. 9th April 2009 18:06

Corylopsis pauciflora

Comment from Palustris Catz

This is a close up of the flower from this spring shrub. Lightly scented like a primrose.

• Views: 886
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 15:57
  • Last reply: Fri. 13th March 2009 10:27

brown patches

Question from C M Velarde

Can anybody advise me about a brown patch I seem to have got half way up my my thuja orientalis? Should I cut it out or leave it?

• Views: 903
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Thu. 12th March 2009 12:06
  • Last reply: Thu. 9th April 2009 18:11

Feeding tomatoes

Comment from Joanne 9919

I have used the usual tomato feed to feed my tomatoes with, but last year, aiming to be more organic, I used a seaweed feed.

I don't know if it was just coincidence but my tomatoes didn't do as well as they have done in previous years.

What do you feed yours with and does it give good results?

Jo.

• Views: 992
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Tue. 10th March 2009 14:10
  • Last reply: Thu. 19th March 2009 13:53

Member profile

Question from Georgie

Why are my 'gardening interests' displayed in my profile not the ones I've ticked? I don't mind but I hope no-one asks me about any questions about historic gardens!

Georgie

• Views: 537
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Mon. 9th March 2009 21:25
  • Last reply: Thu. 12th March 2009 20:45

Cheap and Cheerful seeds

Comment from Laura Thomas

I've just planted a Pansy & Petunia mixed seed pack I picked up in the Pound Shop last week. Not sure how viable the seeds are but felt it was worth a try especially as I struggle with starting plants from seeds ( a bit too fiddly for me).

Anyway was surprised by the number of seeds per pack - and hope they germinate.

Laura

p.s. have jsut discovered them being sold on ebay for £2.99 + postage! (see pic)

• Views: 680
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Sun. 8th March 2009 19:48
  • Last reply: Thu. 9th April 2009 10:55