OK
In progress indicator

General

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

We have had a lot of strong feedback on our Instagram and Facebook pages on our communities feelings about recycling plant pots. If you have a comment, know anyone who needs plant pots or if you know garden centres or plant nurseries which accept back plant pots, please share here. Thank you!

Total number of topics in this forum: 697

Remove Bark and grow a lawn

Question from Michael

Hi,

I need some help & advice on how to grow a perfect lawn, to set your expectations, i have no previous experiance in gardening apart from growing my very own sunflower when i was younger. Now i have moved into a new home, i really need to take advantage of the summer weather.

The current set up
The garden is covered in bark with soil underneath.

Steps taken so far
I have racked the bark and soil to one side, Now i have a little bit of soil remaining, i can see it all rest on top of a ground sheet.

How to proceed
This is where i am now stuck, i'm not sure what the best course of action would be, do i remove the ground sheet? do i grow the grass on top

Please can someone assist in providing the steps needed to grow a new lawn.

Your help is very much appreciated

• Views: 216
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 4th June 2017 19:35
  • Last reply: Tue. 27th June 2017 08:18

Help!!!

Question from Hannah Bailey

Any idea what this is??

• Views: 246
  • Posted: Fri. 2nd June 2017 20:01
  • Last reply: Sat. 3rd June 2017 07:38

Lopsided Camellia

Comment from Jeremy Lea

Hi all,
I have a lovely Camellia that has just finished flowering, however for reasons best known to itself it has all gone lopsided.

Can anyone please help me correct it? (pruning perhaps? )

Thanks in anticipation

By the way, I've also put this in an alternative forum, apologies for the duplication

• Views: 211
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Fri. 26th May 2017 13:45

Anemone - Mr Fokker

Question from Michael Flynn

Hi, I bought a variety pack of summer bulbs to create a display in a planter. The pack included these Anemone Mr Fokker and I planted the bulbs in April and brought them on in my greenhouse until this week. They seemed to be doing OK until I noticed the Anemones looked very limp at the base with some growth dying off. The flower stems are very thin and droopy despite flowering. Is there any reason they are like this as I would like to learn form my mistakes if I have done something wrong.
Thanks
Michael

• Views: 168
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd May 2017 18:48

Can anyone identify this plant please

Photo from Karen

Having trouble identifying this plant

• Views: 162
  • Posted: Mon. 22nd May 2017 14:50

Twisted Willow

Question from Ron Dempster

Why are the ends of some of the branches on my plant black/dying?

• Views: 219
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Tue. 16th May 2017 16:11
  • Last reply: Fri. 19th May 2017 18:07

How much good soil in a raised bed?

Question from Carla Groppi

I live in London and my soil is full of rubble, how deep down do I need to dig out the rubbly soil, it has been suggested that I only need to replace 30 cos with good soil, is that enough?
Any advice welcome. I will be planting roses, native British plants and one Tibetan cherry tree. the raised beds are 1 more x 1 metre x 70 cm deep.

• Views: 208
  • Posted: Fri. 12th May 2017 11:08
  • Last reply: Tue. 16th May 2017 06:08

Compacted clay soil

Comment from Margie Johnston

I live in Amersham in the Chilterns, and am seeking help as to how I can lighten the very heavy clay soil in my garden. Adding tons to rotted compost has done little good. I need to take a pickaxe to dig a hole! Any tips?

• Views: 121
  • Posted: Wed. 3rd May 2017 15:19
  • Last reply: Wed. 3rd May 2017 19:32

Help with my Rhododendron Problem Please

Question from Peabrain

I have a rhododendron which flowered profusely last year,
but i think it may have developed a virus.
I would like some help in identifying the virus( if it is actually one)
and a possible cure please?

• Views: 160
  • Posted: Sat. 15th April 2017 10:44
  • Last reply: Wed. 26th April 2017 03:59

Spain

Question from Jaci

I would love to hear from members who are container gardening on the Costa Blanca in Spain about what flowering plants have been successful for them. We have brought our severely disabled son to live here for the benefit of his health. We have just bought a village house with a courtyard and rooftop solarium. I love flowers but no time for lots of gardening with my care commitments. All helpful comments and suggestions would be welcome, especially regarding flowering plants with fragrance.
Thanks

• Views: 151
  • Posted: Fri. 14th April 2017 07:27