OK
In progress indicator

Arum maculatum

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Forum for Arum maculatum

Go to the Arum maculatum details page

Total number of topics in this forum: 3

Arum maculatum

Comment from MRS L A MCGILLIGAN

I would try some stump killer it usually works for Knot weed. Good luck

• Views: 544
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 17th March 2012 17:50

Arum maculatum - Very Invasive

Question from Peter Beighton

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to eradicate this invasive plant from a garden ? This is my experience:

This appears to be a very invasive plant and is beginning to take over the garden. It is coming up in new places every year even though I never let a plant get to the berry forming stage.
i) Digging out is almost impossible as it has very deep bulbs and the main bulbs seem to be surrounded by other very tiny bulbs which can easily get left behind in the soil.
ii) It does not seem to react to glyphosate. I thought I was having some success by rubbing the glyphosate into the waxy leaves with rubber gloves (the plant is poisonous as well as the glyphosate) but the plants came back the following year.

• Views: 1369
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Sat. 17th March 2012 09:03
  • Last reply: Sun. 18th March 2012 09:07

Arum maculatum

Comment from Miriam Mesa-Villalba

Its orange-red berries, in the autumn, are attractive but poisonous, producing a burning sensation in the mouth. Its root was once used as a source of starch in the days when collars and cuffs were stiff and white.The flowers produce a pungent smell which attracts carrion-feeding flies. The insects, crawling downwards in search of nectar, brush against the pollen-bearing stamens. Many insects die in this process, since they are unable to escape, but this is not a carnivorous plant: the deaths are merely incidental to the plant's reproductive cycle.

• Views: 676
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Sat. 6th June 2009 10:32