OK
In progress indicator

News

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

Total number of topics in this forum: 21

Shoreditch, Central London Forest garden

General post from The East London Garden Society

The East London Garden Society www.elgs.or.uk is seeking persons to sign our petition to achieve a Forest Garden in central London. This garden will be on top of grade2 listed railway arches, probably be the largest Forest Garden in UK, trap air pollution, be a community growing space, plus bring beauty to an urban landscape. All agree on this venture with the exception of Hammersons & Ballymore the developers, together with The Space Hub their design consortia. The improtance of such a park, for all to use, is not only for the residents of Shoreditch or London, it is a way of informing all developers that Britain cares about it's environment. We are, as an organisation not against progress, however we are against unbridled satisfaction for corporate bodies who build without considering local communities.
For all the right reasons, please sign our petition, for our fight maybe yor fight soon.
The park by the design consortia has inherent flaws for it to be labelled a park, reasons as set our on our website.
Thank you so much for your attention.

• Views: 771
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 29th July 2014 12:34

about a single stem rose i have bought

Question from june sutton

can anyone tell me where I can buy the rainbow rose it is one of the most beautiful roses I have ever seen so full of colours of the rainbow I have searched on line and seeds come up from china but I don't trust them. the flower is the colours of the rainbow each petal a different colour. I know they were developed by a gentleman in Canada.

• Views: 256
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 20th July 2014 12:52
  • Last reply: Tue. 22nd July 2014 09:43

Banana skins

Tip from Judy Hayman

Chopped banana skins (1"-2") are great for plants. Don't take my word for it, look online and be surprised: They rot quickly. Dig in near bottom of pots or well below roots; the skins have a natural insecticide.
If you've plants with shiny leaves, wipe them using the pithy part. This promotes the shine and imparts their natural insecticide which will deter aphids. :-D

Two drawbacks.= :-(
Not advisable for composting When the skins are warm they give off a pheromone which bees exude when in distress. If you come between a bee & the skins, the bee will become aggressive.

DON'T use for fruit or veg. The outside of the banana skins contains a carcinogenic chemical.

Hope you find this helpful.
Jude

• Views: 639
  • Posted: Thu. 3rd April 2014 08:40

Where are my plants?

Question from Ena Green

I have just joined Shoot and am in the process of uploading my plants but so many of them are not available on the site. How can this be rectified - does anyone know? Other aspects of the site are very good - I am enjoying getting to grips with it and feel it will be very useful in the winter months when I cannot get out in the garden.

• Views: 1222
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 24th July 2011 20:08
  • Last reply: Mon. 25th July 2011 14:19

New - enter the Produce Show

General post from Julie Loughlin

The Hatfield Country Show 19th – 21st August
Produce Marquee – enter your home grown fruit, flowers and vegetables in our fun show. Special categories for children. This is the perfect opportunity to show off your preserves and home baking too. The hunt is on for the ugliest vegetable... For schedules, entry form and more information see website.
The Hatfield Country Show has something for everyone to enjoy. This year, kids go free on the first day of the show. www.hatfield-house.co.uk

• Views: 967
  • Posted: Fri. 8th July 2011 15:26

Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust waterbutt survey

Comment from Wildfowl And Wetlands Trust

Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is conducting a water butt survey as part of our “work your butt” campaign and Festival of gardening 1-31st March.

How well do you work your butt? Your water butt that is… A survey 3 years ago found that nearly two thirds of gardeners said they had a water butt but only one in 10 make good use of them.

WWT is calling on gardeners to help us get a clearer picture of the situation today, particularly in these increasingly environmentally and economically aware times.

So please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/wwtsurvey to take survey and answer a few short questions. It’ll take you less than 5 minutes and as a thank you for your help you’ll go into a draw to win a year’s WWT membership.

• Views: 908
  • Posted: Thu. 24th February 2011 12:52

Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust waterbutt survey

Comment from Wildfowl And Wetlands Trust

Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is conducting a water butt survey as part of our “work your butt” campaign and Festival of gardening 1-31st March.

How well do you work your butt? Your water butt that is… A survey 3 years ago found that nearly two thirds of gardeners said they had a water butt but only one in 10 make good use of them.

WWT is calling on gardeners to help us get a clearer picture of the situation today, particularly in these increasingly environmentally and economically aware times.

So please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/wwtsurvey to take survey and answer a few short questions. It’ll take you less than 5 minutes and as a thank you for your help you’ll go into a draw to win a year’s WWT membership.

• Views: 588
  • Posted: Thu. 24th February 2011 12:52

Trade Event: Creating Landscapes in partnership with Landscape Juice

General post from Philip Voice

Proposed Title:
Creating Landscapes Trade Event
for the garden and landscape practitioner
in partnership with Landscape Juice

Venue:
Capel Manor

Timing:
October half term week 2011 has been reserved

This trade only event is planned to be an exciting mix of education, information, networking opportunities and key industry suppliers, taking place in the conducive environment of Capel Manor.

It is not planned to be a traditional exhibition, a designer show, or a retail buyers show.

It plans to address the stages of the Landscape Creation process:
Design
Planning
Build (hard and soft and planting)
Ongoing Maintenance

http://landscapejuice.ning.com/xn/detail/2074886:Comment:121518

• Views: 833
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 23rd July 2010 17:42
  • Last reply: Mon. 26th July 2010 10:56

Blogs & Social Networking!

Comment from Laura Thomas

Great that we can now add our blogs & social networks to our profile but thought it might be nice for shoot members to post theirs in one place. So here goes:

Blog: PatioPatch
Twitter : LauraBloomsbury

Look forward to linking up

Laura

• Views: 731
  • Posted: Sun. 30th May 2010 21:28

Brilliant!!!

Comment from Laura Thomas

Just had to tell you what a brilliant redesign of the shoot site you have done - even better than I had envisaged. Will enjoy using it even more

all the best

Laura

• Views: 608
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Sun. 23rd May 2010 12:26
  • Last reply: Sun. 23rd May 2010 14:59