OK
In progress indicator

My Favourite Plant

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

New - We love plants! Tell us about your favourite. Is it in Shoot? If not, request we add it for you.

Total number of topics in this forum: 17

Dead Wisteria need to replace

Question from Fiona Fulford

I have just had it confirmed by an expert who visited that my 20 year old Wisteria is dead from some form of rot. I need to replace it.
I need to establish where ther is a good nursery and whether some grow quicker than others. I'm very upset as it's my fave plant. It was big and beautiful. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

• Views: 991
  • Replies: 0
  • Posted: Tue. 29th April 2014 15:49

I have just had it confirmed by an expert who visited that my 20 year old Wisteria is dead from some form of rot. I need to replace it.
I need to establish where ther is a good nursery and whether some grow quicker than others. I'm very upset as it's my fave plant. It was big and beautiful. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

• Views: 277
  • Posted: Tue. 29th April 2014 15:48

I need to establish where ther is a good nursery and whether some grow quicker than others. I'm very upset as it's my fave plant. It was big and beautiful any suggestions or advice appreciated.

• Views: 263
  • Posted: Tue. 29th April 2014 15:47

SCILLA

Question from allen & janet weston

CAN ANYONE TELL US WHY OUR SCILLA BULBS HAVE NOT FLOWERED FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS..THEY ARE IN A FULL SUN POSITION IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE SO DRY SOIL,WE FED THEM LAST SPRING OUS IS THE PERU SCILLA

• Views: 427
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Thu. 20th March 2014 08:59
  • Last reply: Fri. 21st March 2014 10:24

failed to flower

Comment from

I sowed three packs of Deltoides Dianthus last autumn in seed trays. Brilliancy, Alba and Flashing Lights.

All of these little darlings flourished in that they spread and look very healthy however only Brilliancy actually flowered.

Am I being impatient expecting all three varieties to have flowered or do they like different growing conditions? I am on heavy clay soil but the top layer has been improved greatly so I doubt these little gems would reach down far enough to get their roots into the thick sticky stuff. Anyone any ideas?

The seeds were all bought from a highly respected nursery, sown at the same time and are all planted in the same situation. With the glorious summer we have had i the UK it is a mystery why only one type has smiled on us with flowers though.

• Views: 583
  • Posted: Sun. 1st September 2013 06:40

Heuchera "Silver scrolls". And nectaroscordum.

Comment from Kathryn Robertson

I bought several heuchera varieties last autumn and they've all done well, but I especially like Silver Scrolls. I have two in plain dark grey pots on the sides of my patio steps, and they've looked great right through winter on their own, fab in spring underplanted with little bright pink species tulips, and are still looking marvellous on their own again, now with three-foot high flower spikes - much more dramatic flowers than the other varieties.
And nectaroscordum. I planted these in a dry shady corner where nothing so beautiful would normally consider growing, and they've come up for a second year with two flower spikes instead of one, looking perfectly happy.

• Views: 947
  • Replies: 1
  • Posted: Fri. 8th June 2012 15:55
  • Last reply: Sat. 9th June 2012 06:45

long blooming perennials

General post from ELAINE HUTSON

Worth the space for their long season of bloom, Geranium 'Patricia' and G. Roxanne, the latter likes to weave through the legs of shrubs.

• Views: 905
  • Replies: 4
  • Posted: Mon. 26th September 2011 01:50
  • Last reply: Tue. 2nd July 2013 13:46

Good Garden Plants

Comment from Gary Newell

So i have been working with plants for nearly 10 years now and im constantly getting messages back from customers about those plants that they value the most the types of plant that just keep giving and giving. With the winters we are getting now it has become really important to gardeners to know what plants they can rely on, so if you have any great plants that dont let you down then please let me know.

• Views: 1267
  • Posted: Wed. 9th March 2011 13:19
  • Last reply: Mon. 1st July 2013 21:51

Favourite Fragrant Flowers & Foliage

Tip from Ornamental Tree Nurseries

Often we choose trees and shrubs for our gardens that are aesthetically pleasing; spectacular foliage, rich flowers and remarkable architectural forms but we mustn’t over look the importance of fragrance. From shrubs that dizzy the senses with the aroma of their blooms to trees with autumn foliage that smells good enough to eat here are my top picks for fragrance.

Davidia involucrate vilmoriniana- Handerkerchief tree
Fragrant: Spring

Cytisus Battandieri – Pineapple broom tree
Fragrant: June July

Cercidiphyllum japonicum- Katsura tree
Fragrant: Late Summer Autumn

Deutzia scabra ‘Pride of Rochester’- Fuzzy pride of Rochester shrub

Laburnum alpinum ‘Pendulum’- Weeping Scotch laburnum tree
Fragrant: May

Mahonia japonica ‘Hivernant’- Japanese mahonia shrub
Fragrant: November December January February March

Nothofagus Antarctica – Antarctic beech tree
Fragrant: Spring

Prunus x yedoensis – Yoshino cherry tree
Fragrant: March April

Ptelea trifoliate – Hop tree

Magnolia soulangiana ‘Alba Superba’ - White tulip magnolia tree
Fragrant: April May

• Views: 1582
  • Posted: Thu. 11th November 2010 11:05
  • Last reply: Mon. 28th February 2011 19:51

Phormium 'Dazzler'

Question from Stuart D. McLeod

Does anyone know where I can obtain the above plant to add to my collection of 60+ phormiums?

• Views: 3191
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Tue. 1st June 2010 13:34
  • Last reply: Wed. 12th October 2016 06:44